Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 14, 2019 9:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cloning Knobs
PostPosted: Jan Mon 28, 2019 4:35 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

Has anyone else seen this video?

https://hackaday.com/2019/01/20/cloning ... equipment/

Regards,

Post subject: Re: Cloning Knobs
PostPosted: Jan Mon 28, 2019 4:04 pm 

Yes. Very interesting process, especially when one needs to add setscrew capability. At this point in life however, I think I’ll stick with what radiopup and other friends here on ARF can supply. Fortunately the radios I mess with are not as rare as what most of y'all work on.

If talk is cheap, it's because the supply usually exceeds the demand.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 28, 2019 4:10 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=353174&p=2976945&hilit=cloning#p2976945

PostPosted: Feb Mon 04, 2019 6:14 am 

Jthorusen wrote:
Greetings to the Forum:

Regards,

I posted a note on that site... he should come to an antique radio event or ask here, he would have discovered that knob on his Philco tester was also used as a band switch knob on the 1936 era Philco radios. I have them, so do all the other knob dealers ! Could have saved him a lot of work, and that Silicone and resin is not cheap ! In fact, all the knobs he made in the video are in my stock and I would think the other knob dealers as well. So, save the resin cost and put money in OUR pockets... get the ORIGINAL parts ! He says also that the knob is slightly larger shaft... its not, its 1/4" standard, just that he compares it to a modern part and they are often under sized as they are imports.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Feb Mon 04, 2019 4:09 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
Jthorusen wrote:
Greetings to the Forum:

Regards,

I posted a note on that site... he should come to an antique radio event or ask here, he would have discovered that knob on his Philco tester was also used as a band switch knob on the 1936 era Philco radios. I have them, so do all the other knob dealers ! Could have saved him a lot of work, and that Silicone and resin is not cheap ! In fact, all the knobs he made in the video are in my stock and I would think the other knob dealers as well. So, save the resin cost and put money in OUR pockets... get the ORIGINAL parts ! He says also that the knob is slightly larger shaft... its not, its 1/4" standard, just that he compares it to a modern part and they are often under sized as they are imports.
Mark Oppat

+1

PostPosted: Feb Mon 04, 2019 7:59 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
... In fact, all the knobs he made .. are in my stock and .. other knob dealers as well. So, save the resin cost and put money in OUR pockets .. get the ORIGINAL parts !

Good to know !

oldradioparts wrote:
He says also that the knob is slightly larger shaft... its not, its 1/4" standard, just that he compares it to a modern part and they are often under sized as they are imports.
Mark Oppat

I see a lot of modern parts (from THAT COUNTRY of origin) list their size as "6mm". I don't know if that's just rounding off on the description, or some makers take that literally. 1/4" translates to metric as 6.35mm. That would be 0.014" off.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 04, 2019 9:12 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
Jthorusen wrote:
Greetings to the Forum:

Regards,

Mark Oppat

Mark, I looked at your website, but saw no knobs other than the wooden repros. Where would one view what you have? Am I missing something, or is there a secret page with your knobs? How would one "find" a knob you have?

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 7:01 am 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
oldradioparts wrote:
Jthorusen wrote:
Greetings to the Forum:

Regards,

Mark Oppat

Mark, I looked at your website, but saw no knobs other than the wooden repros. Where would one view what you have? Am I missing something, or is there a secret page with your knobs? How would one "find" a knob you have?

My bad for being a computer and web idiot, really. I bought out over 30 repair shops and have thousands of knobs and other parts that I will never get the time to list on any site. I just beg your "want lists" sent my way. You will be surprised what I can fill. Still I am amazed this guy in the video didnt find any of the main knob dealers. Didnt think we were that hard to find, but, yeah my site just doesn't push my knob stock very well.

Some years ago, I proposed a special section be added to the Classifieds for knobs , to be called the "Knob Box". You would just place your knobs on an alpha and numeric grid with a code by each saying what type of shaft it fits. K for Knurled, S for set screw, D for Half round, and SF for slightly flatted (such as Philco and Silvertone used). No pricing needed, to make it easy. You just shoot a pix of each filled grid and post it. Anyone could look thru all the "Knob Boxes" easily then contact that person and work out a deal for how ever many they want. Same would be for a section called the "Junk Yard" for all your spare chassis available for sale whole or in parts. Nobody posts chassis now because it requires pricing.. which would be very unfair to both seekers and sellers since, just like in an auto yard, nobody really knows what parts are good or bad until such things are sought out and investigated, which, nobody wants to do unless a buyer is inquiring. I think it would be a nice, very productive addition to ARF that would get stuff out of storage and into the hands of the restorers needing the parts. Mods thought this would happen... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzuRXLzqKk

Having such separate sections for also perhaps allow the outliers in the hobby (such as the guy in the video) to stumble into this world here where the "stuff" is that they apparently dont find with their cursory Google searches.

Mark Oppat