Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 24, 2019 9:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Are Atwater-Kent 55C Tubes rare?
PostPosted: May Mon 06, 2019 10:01 pm 

I listed an Atwater-Kent 55C on eBay; which did not sell. But a guy wanted me to sell him just the tubes for $35 and junk the unit. I hate to trash any vintage radio. Are the tubes really rare and more desirable than the unit itself? The chassis is rough but it has a nice cabinet and original speaker. Better to part it for the tubes?

Post subject: Re: Are Atwater-Kent 55C Tubes rare?
PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2019 12:01 am 

The 45's, especially if they are "S" bulb (balloon)and in good condition*, followed by the 280 in good condition. The 24A's and the 27 well, if they are "S" maybe.

I kinda think you have been tipped off, re-access the tubes and flip them separately or singly for the 45's...

The de-nuded chassis should bring 25 to tops 50 if it is not rusted or cans not badly battered with bottom plate...

I admit I sold (gave) my spare 55 chassis some time ago actually it was refurbished to functional, the nickle plating immaculate complete with ST tubes. Played sweet. It went with a large group of sets as a 501c3 donation. It went with ST tubes...

I like the way the 55 sounds, but one has to go to great lengths to get the set to track and still have maximum sensitivity...

* In super good condition and near matching emission, "S" bulb 245 could bring as much as $200 for the pair. But be prepared to back them up if the customer is not satisfied :roll:

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: May Tue 07, 2019 1:15 am 

I see an 80, two #45 and a # 27. Top is larger, so I assume they are "Balloon". I don't collect this older stuff. I had the whoe thing on eBay for $29.99 with no bites. Pick up only. I think I will pull the bulbs and test them when I get back in town. The thing is just too big and heavy to ship.

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 3:10 am 

The 24A tubes are under a rectangular metal cover at the front of the chassis. The cover is held on with two thumb screws.
The 24A tubes will have round metal shields on them.

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 1:15 pm 

Keneye wrote:
I see an 80, two #45 and a # 27. Top is larger, so I assume they are "Balloon". I don't collect this older stuff. I had the whoe thing on eBay for $29.99 with no bites. Pick up only. I think I will pull the tubes and test them when I get back in town. The thing is just too big and heavy to ship.

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 2:38 pm 

Thanks! Never flipped the Ol gal over.