Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 17, 2019 8:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaker for Airline 62-390
PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 6:35 pm 

There appears to be a break somewhere in the field coil on the speaker that was in the radio originally (infinite resistance), so I'm looking for a replacement. It's a 6" speaker. I've got a 1200 ohm resistor and a little permanent magnet speaker soldered in for testing, but I want to get something more permanent. Proper FC replacements seem expensive, so I'll probably end up with a PM speaker, but it seems like most car speakers aren't really intended for mounting flush against a radio grille. Can anyone recommend a good place to get an inexpensive PM speaker that'll actually mount up flat against the grille?

Post subject: Re: Speaker for Airline 62-390
PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 9:59 pm 

Mounting can be the least of your worries. A lot of the speakers sold for the car audio and home stereo market are very inefficient and expect a 1000W amp for drive. You would like one with a rated sensitivity in the mid to upper 90s. If the sensitivity is not rated, you can look for a really low suggested power.

Normal table radio speakers are hard to find. McM is gone. Parts Express seem to have only rectangular units in their surplus line. You might try a WTB in the ARF Classified.

Something like this might work. I expect it would sound pretty good, but probably won't play as loud as the original:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/s ... od6-15-15w

This one sold by our (sort of) local guys might also do, but might seem a little spendy:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/s ... atts-4-ohm

Ted

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 10:00 pm 

Try bypassing the open field coil with the 1200 ohm resistor using the original speaker, and if the audio not distorted, leave it like that. No reason to replace a speaker because of an open field coil; SOP is to simply replace it with a resistor in the 1000-1200 ohm range.

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 10:14 pm 

fifties wrote:
Try bypassing the open field coil with the 1200 ohm resistor using the original speaker, and if the audio not distorted, leave it like that. No reason to replace a speaker because of an open field coil; SOP is to simply replace it with a resistor in the 1000-1200 ohm range.

If the field coil is open / nonfunctional, how can the original speaker make any noise? I though the point of the field coil was to take the place of the permanent magnets you'll find in a modern speaker.

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 10:16 pm 

solderfumes wrote:
fifties wrote:

If the field coil is open / nonfunctional, how can the original speaker make any noise? I though the point of the field coil was to take the place of the permanent magnets you'll find in a modern speaker.

Just try it.

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 10:16 pm 

Another question, do I want a 4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker for this application?

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 10:18 pm 

First try bypassing the FC using the original speaker. If that doesn't work, then try any 4-8-16 ohm PM speaker, using whatever sounds best; most likely you won't notice much if any difference between them.

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 10:23 pm 

It does play through the original speaker, although it doesn't sound great... but that might not be the speaker's fault, it didn't sound amazing out of the 1.5" PM speaker I was using to test with earlier. That's weird, wouldn't have expected it to work.

PostPosted: May Fri 17, 2019 5:20 am 

fifties, the original soeaker seems to be working fine, so thank you. I would have never thought to try the original. I do have a slight ringing noise audible that seems independent of the tuned frequency, not sure if that's related to the speaker at all--I'll probably make a separate thread to ask about that. Thanks!

PostPosted: May Fri 17, 2019 6:37 pm 

I would keep everything in the same thread. Of course the radio won't sound as good when using a 1-1/2" speaker; that's for a lower output Transistor set. Use a size the set was designed for. The ringing may be an issue specific with that speaker. You can always temporarily patch in another speaker connected to another radio, as long as it's not turned on.