Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 16, 2019 8:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who wants NEW 01A tubes?
PostPosted: Jul Sun 21, 2019 9:15 pm 

The glasslinger guy on Youtube makes tubes, quite a craft.

https://www.youtube.com/user/glasslinger/videos

PostPosted: Jul Wed 24, 2019 3:58 am 

Barry, Jim and I are going to start an 01 tube line. :wink:

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Jul Wed 24, 2019 4:05 am 

I'll handle the lubrication. I think it comes in a bottle with a black label that says something like "Devil's Cut" on it ....

PostPosted: Jul Wed 24, 2019 5:49 pm 

Oh sure, grab the best job on the line! :lol:

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jul Wed 24, 2019 6:25 pm 

I don't think there is a huge demand for 01A tubes enough to start production. They are used by people in a hobby that is probably shrinking and interest in owning and operating functional 20s battery radios is not the same as 20 years ago, and is not going to increase IMO. I think you can buy socket adapters or make socket adapters to use other later cheaper triodes in the radios functionally if not authentically. Not to mention the old FET tube base conversions. So treasure and hoard your good old tubes like I do, but I would say the market for them or demand is on the decline, if not the online prices. And most people do not run their old radios enough to wear out a good strong set of tubes in their 20s radios, I would venture to assert. We run them once in a great while or demo them to people and put them back up. My daily driver radios are either mid 30s or later sets or transistors. I would not pay prices for a generic replica 01A type that I can get working tubes for at swapmeets etc., less than the highest ebay prices.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 24, 2019 8:50 pm 

The biggest thing right now is that there's plenty of 01A tubes available and cheap, why make more?

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 8:17 pm 

Have you tried testing the interest level on audio forums? I know that I have seen some interest in using 01A's somewhere on diyAudio but I have no idea how deep the interest level is. If those guys were to go whole hog on 01A's the supply could dry up quick but then of course the demand to support this project would be there to fill the orders.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 31, 2019 4:06 am 

Quote:
If 500 members had purchased 20 tubes each

There's the problem. Does ARF have 500 active members? Even if it does, how many of them are into -20's radios? My guess is maybe 20 to 30. Everyone else is doing '30s, AA5s, transistor sets, etc. The market isn't cohesive enough to get sufficient interest. I doubt you could even get enough interest on ARF for 1L6s or 6E5s.

Now if you could find someone that could make 500 tubes at that price, you would have enough demand.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 31, 2019 11:38 am 

I say we start up a line and manufacture 01A tubes, 6L6 tubes, 12AX7 tubes, 6V6 tubes, and KT88 tubes. Maybe an updated 5U4 Simple, no ?? 8)

PostPosted: Jul Wed 31, 2019 2:11 pm 

"I'm sure SOVTEK or Tung-Sol could do it cheaper, even with freight and duty fees."

You realize (I hope), that SOVTEK, Tung-Sol, and Electro-Harmonix are all brands of the same company, New Sensor.

The problem with the scenario is with demand. There is a simple reason the Russians don't make more valuable audio triodes like 10s 45s or 50s: There is not enough demand. A production run of 10,000 type 50 tubes is a 20 year supply. People might need '01As, but most who do need them will never need them more than once for a radio, since they will not use the radio enough to wear them out.

The guy that puts down 100K might sell 2000 tubes at $15 each, but still have 8000 tubes and be $70000 in the hole.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 31, 2019 4:09 pm 

Re-build, it was done during the 20's, in garages and cellars. I suspect there is a minimal of equipment, little if any hazardous waste...YMMV...

PostPosted: Aug Thu 01, 2019 11:39 pm 

Jim Mueller wrote:
Quote:
If 500 members had purchased 20 tubes each

There's the problem. Does ARF have 500 active members? Even if it does, how many of them are into -20's radios? My guess is maybe 20 to 30. Everyone else is doing '30s, AA5s, transistor sets, etc. The market isn't cohesive enough to get sufficient interest. I doubt you could even get enough interest on ARF for 1L6s or 6E5s.

Now if you could find someone that could make 500 tubes at that price, you would have enough demand.

A lot of 20's collectors aren't on ARF because of the lack of interest among its members. The Facebook twenties radio club has 2000 members.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Aug Sat 03, 2019 7:36 am 

Erich Loepke wrote:
mrx wrote:
Maybe reproduce #45 tubes.

I second that. The 'phools sometimes use 45s in their amp builds and it could take some of the price pressure off the existing stocks us radio guys use.

You guys must be a bit isolated I think... get out to the bigger shows and you will see there is no great demand for those tubes and prices are very reasonable ! you can run slightly weak 45's in vintage radios and they work great but the Asians will not buy them ! So, for a mere $9-$13 ea you can get those. Plus, at least here in the Midwest, there are huge estates popping up each year and will be more and more for the next 15 years as the 'first line' of radio collectors (those who started collecting between 1968 and 1980 or so) die off, usually leaving huge piles. at the MARC "VEE" (Vintage Electronics Expo) events we are seeing at least one large estate at each show now (January and July shows). Same with radios... huge piles going unclaimed. This recent July show we had so much we had to smash up about 15 consoles and pitch in the dumpster (any attendee could have had them for free). Granted , most were fairly beat, but some were in very decent shape.
Most larger estates dont show up on Ebay. They are families who just dont want to spend that much time selling the stuff so they either hire a local auctioneer and have a sale or bring it all to our shows (sometimes all at once, sometimes in bits over several shows). Remember, the best deals are not usually on line.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2019 7:13 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
Most larger estates dont show up on Ebay. They are families who just dont want to spend that much time selling the stuff so they either hire a local auctioneer and have a sale or bring it all to our shows (sometimes all at once, sometimes in bits over several shows). Remember, the best deals are not usually on line.
Mark Oppat

I've found that a lot of families faced with the death of a collector often donate lots to Goodwill. They'll bring in the dresser drawer of the old guy's broken watch collection, and there will be a $10K-$15K Rolex in the mix. It needs repair, but it's still valuable to collectors. Saw a piece of old Corning Pyrex with a design that was never released to the public get more than $4K in bids. BTW, a lot of Goodwill stores are on eBay instead of the Goodwill site, and I'd urge you to check those first. Buying off eBay gives you some Buyer and credit card protections that are not available on the Goodwill site. Most - but not all - Goodwills (they are separate entities under an umbrella organization) will refund your money, but a few will then ban you from future bidding.

SOME deals can be found online, if you know where to look and see the ad at the right time.

I once purchased a Leica inverted microscope on Goodwill for $200 or so, listed it on eBay the same day, and sold it later that night for $750 (it normally retailed for $3K-4K)! The buyer hadn't seen the Goodwill listing, but had their eBay account set up with keyword alerts, which is how they learned about my eBay listing.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 5:48 pm 

Kickstarter or GoFundMe would be the best way to do this. That way you could have the funding in place and secured. If you want to have a tube reproduced I think reaching out to the commercial tube suppliers (AES, etc) will be your best bet as they have a better idea of supply vs demand. They would likely be the ones willing to front the cash for a large number of tubes, given they know they can sell them (demand) at a price point where they can make a profit.

I would recommend a lot of market research. I think ARF represents a very small fraction of the collectors community. The Facebook groups and quite popular, I would also post your survey on those.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 6:35 pm 

Perhaps Jim and Mark can chime in here as tube vendors.... what tube types are in high demand yet are becoming more scarce at the same time? e.g. a type that Electro-Harmonix could manufacture and would have a market.

Just about every radio that I have personally restored in the last year that used a 6U5 had a dim tube and required replacement. Because of this I purchased a small hoard of the Toyo 6E5s on eBay and have stocked up on 6U5/6E5s as I come across them at swap meets. I would think those are in demand with a supply that is slowly drying up.

I don't work on many 1920s sets so I can't comment on those types.