Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 6:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Who wants NEW 01A tubes?
PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 4:01 pm 

I contacted the folks at Electro-Harmonix (https://shop.ehx.com/) about producing a run of new 01A tubes out of one of their Russian factories. We can get 10K at $9 per tube, or 20K at $8 per tube. Electro-Harmonix can include the tubes in their quarterly shipments to the US (specifically, NYC); we would have to pay ~4.5% duty on the lot.

If you are interested, I'd like to get a rough estimate of orders from the forum members. They would be offered at cost plus S/H, and the remainder going up on eBay at $12.50-$15 each. Folks are already paying $$$ for 80-year-old tubes of questionable quality, simply because no one has made them since the 1940s. NEW tubes should be a big hit.

Please make this a FIRM commitment when you reply.

If someone out there has an LLC or other registered business, we might be able to get a Groupon deal going. PM me if you might be interested in supporting this from your business. Also, is there a member in the NYC area who could take delivery? That would help keep costs down.

Post subject: Re: Who wants NEW 01A tubes?
PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 4:52 pm 

indy_kid wrote: we would have to pay ~4.5% duty on the lot.

10,000 at $9.00 equals $90,000.00
+ ~4.5% equals $94,050.00
or...
20,000 at $8.00 equals $160,000.00
+ ~4.5% equals $167,200.00

If it's not too impertinent a question, who is we?
Greg.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 4:57 pm 

yea I see why you need a firm commitment, how many do you really need?
Seems easier to buy a few NOS and be done with it.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 5:19 pm 

I do think this is impractical, however, I also think that the price could be better from some other manufacturer, likely in China or from an Alibaba contact, get Jack Ma's attention.

How does one deal with quality control? $90+ grand in tubes that work poorly, not thoriated, can't be rejuvenated, what then? The '01a was a prolifically manufactured tube as well as re-built. I do not feel confident in the collector market. The greatest new audiophile tube?

If one "wanted" to make a killing in "tubes", make and print re-pro tube boxes with modern graphics. Likely much more margin :roll:

Not Sorry!

Chas

PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 5:36 pm 

egg wrote:
If it's not too impertinent a question, who is we?
Greg.

Those who are willing to make a firm commitment to purchase a number of tubes.

An option other than just "we" here in the forum setting this up, or the use of a Groupon (since I don't have an LLC set up at the moment), would be a GoFundMe. That would be open to everyone, not just those subscribed to this forum. Plus, people would be putting their money in up front, vs. vague "commitments" from some folks.

BTW, the full amount isn't required up front. $12K gets the 10K order rolling.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 6:57 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Chas wrote:
I do think this is impractical

Normally I would agree .... at first blush it looks like a non-starter, but .....

Some years ago a pair of photography enthusiasts (Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee) put together something similar but for photo paper. They wanted to contract an eastern bloc paper manufacturer to create a replacement for Kodak AZO, a project that included creating test samples etc. Along with many others, I put down my $1000 and now my freezer has the aforementioned paper in it, paper which Kodak obseleted many years ago.

So .... while it seems impractical, it can work.

cheers

PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 7:20 pm 

Pretty easy to get 01A tubes and cheap. I don't see the need, just my opinion. Also, I don't have much faith in Russian manufacturing and I don't like the idea of sending my money to a country that is causing us and the rest of the world so much trouble.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 7:29 pm 

Chas wrote:
I do think this is impractical, however, I also think that the price could be better from some other manufacturer, likely in China or from an Alibaba contact

I'm sure if Electro-Harmonix could get a better product/price in Asia, they'd be buying from there. Ponder why they don't.

All of your concerns apply to any tube manufacturer, unless you're paying $200 a pop and it's fully guaranteed for a year (but you're paying for that as well).

PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 10:39 pm 

Good 01As are still fairly abundant if you know where to look for them. I think a better investment would be in UX-199s and UX-120s. Finding good examples of those tubes seems to be a little more challenging and there's so many antique radios, out there, that use them.

Globe UX-112s and UX-171s might be a better choice. Those tubes could be sold to both the antique radio crowd and to the vacuum tube audiophile crowd. Cobalt blue glass and gold glass versions would probably go over well to both interests. The cobalt blue glass versions that would go well with radios populated with blue Arcturus 01A tubes and the gold versions would go well with radios that are populated with the gold Super Airline 01A tubes. Either color would look great on fancy home made, low power, vacuum tube amplifiers and preamplifiers.

All of the tubes should be fairly easy to make, their all just simple triodes.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 1:03 am 

Maybe reproduce #45 tubes.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 2:26 am 

Retail tubes might interest the hi-fi and guitar amp crowd.

Last edited by 47volts on Jul Sat 20, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 2:48 am 

mrx wrote:
Maybe reproduce #45 tubes.

I second that. The 'phools sometimes use 45s in their amp builds and it could take some of the price pressure off the existing stocks us radio guys use.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 3:12 am 

I'll let them know we can't swing the deal.

Someone else can ask them about 199 or 45 or whatever tube might be in demand at the moment.

Thanks for your support.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 4:16 am 
Site Admin

Better suited to https://kickstarter.com than here.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 21, 2019 4:39 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:

Why do you say that? A forum dedicated to tube devices isn't the place to market tubes???

If 500 members had purchased 20 tubes each, that would have been ~$180 per person and would have satisfied the 10K tube order. A lot of folks who have radios from the 1920s need such tubes, and I've seen posts about owners who won't use their "best" 01A tubes unless it's for something important.

I have approx. 14 TRF radios, so could have easily used 20 new tubes. Trying to outbid folks on eBay is a hassle, and the tubes are often of questionable quality. "I have not tested these tubes" is prominent in most listings so that sellers can offload the tubes they know are bad without consequence. You think Electro-Harmonix would want the bad press of 500 pissed-off buyers? How come Antique Electronic Supply's selection of tubes is almost exclusively made by E-H, or one of its subsidiaries? AES wouldn't advertise tubes of questionable quality.

Those members who didn't need all 20 tubes could have made them available on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, eBay, Etsy, or at local/state/regional radio swap meets at $15 each, and made a profit while putting new tubes into circulation.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 21, 2019 1:00 pm 

How about a $90k investment in a boutique tube manufacturing line? Low volume made to order tubes. You could probably make it back in 6L6 and 12AX7 tubes. :-)

PostPosted: Jul Sun 21, 2019 6:05 pm 

indy_kid wrote:
Alan Voorhees wrote:
Why do you say that? A forum dedicated to tube devices isn't the place to market tubes??
A forum dedicated to tube devices is the perfect place to run a marketing idea by the group who would be potential buyers. Some things fly, some donā€™t.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 21, 2019 6:35 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
How about a $90k investment in a boutique tube manufacturing line? Low volume made to order tubes. You could probably make it back in 6L6 and 12AX7 tubes. :-)

I'm sure SOVTEK or Tung-Sol could do it cheaper, even with freight and duty fees.

I wouldn't want to guess the reject rate with any such boutique line starting up.

If I had $90k, I would have purchased the 10k lot and would put them on every sales platform at $15, with a discount for every lot of 10 purchased.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 21, 2019 6:39 pm 

$90k is an awful lot to risk on one tube type. ;-). .... send your check to ......... lol. I'll start up my own line. ;-)

PostPosted: Jul Sun 21, 2019 7:06 pm 

There seem to be common 01A's to be had but the 1 Amp 01's are more scarce.

Also I like Brass Base, Tip-off on top tubes that will fit a Grebe CR-9. The CR-9 takes a slightly shorter 01 tube and there is a groove milled in the top panel to allow the tip-off space.

Jim