Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 9:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Weird tubes need info
PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2019 11:51 pm 

Over the years as I purchased radio lots, I always kept tubes that did not look like normal tubes.

I kept these in a display case in my basement and they always looked cool.

With my move to Florida, I no longer have room for a display case so have decided to start selling off my smalls that were displayed.

As I unpacked the first box, I found these items. Can you tell me if rare, valuable, just unusual, or plain trash.

Attachments:
File comment: Eimac 15A
IMG_2316.jpg
IMG_2316.jpg [ 78.78 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
File comment: Eimac VT-127-A
IMG_2317.jpg
IMG_2317.jpg [ 85.17 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
File comment: National Union JAN-CNU-832. VT 118
IMG_2318.jpg
IMG_2318.jpg [ 73.53 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
File comment: RCA 5713
IMG_2319.jpg
IMG_2319.jpg [ 74.79 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
File comment: EIMAC 250TH
IMG_2320.jpg
IMG_2320.jpg [ 77.64 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
File comment: Hydron VT 232 and Hydron VT-235
IMG_2321.jpg
IMG_2321.jpg [ 71.58 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
File comment: General Electric Crystal Unit for Stromberg Carlson
IMG_2322.jpg
IMG_2322.jpg [ 76.94 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
File comment: Sylvanie DFLD 80W 30V. I assume some type of projection tube.
IMG_2324.jpg
IMG_2324.jpg [ 73.03 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

Post subject: Re: Weird tubes need info
PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 12:22 am 

Some you will find here:

https://frank.pocnet.net/

Last one is a projector lamp.

VT numbers:

https://frank.pocnet.net/other/ServiceT ... mbers.html

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 1:39 am 

Norm Leal wrote:
Last one is a projector lamp.....

Also known as a monode.

RRM

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 9:03 am 

Greetings to oldradio99 and the Forum:

The 15A is a final amplifier triode for a VHF radar, circa WW II. I have a 15E. They don't seem to be especially rare or valuable.

The VT-127 I have never seen before. Rarity or value unknown. Application probably similar to the 15A/E.

The 832 is a dual (two tubes in one envelope) beam power pentode. It is intended for class C plate modulated telephony in the VHF spectrum, especially designed to facilitate a push-pull RF amplifier design. Typical average power output at VHF is about 12 watts. Used as PA tube in the ARC-4 VHF airborne radio as fitted to various WW II aircraft. Not especially rare or valuable, I have two or three of them. Good tube though.

The 5713 I have never seen before either. It looks like a "lighthouse" transmitting triode or possibly a tetrode (can't see the contact rings well enough in your photo to tell)... Rarity and value unknown.

The 250TH is an HF transmitting triode rated for a plate dissipation of 250 watts. Rarity and value fairly high. Not useful for much today except for those hams who are into building vintage high power HF transmitters.

The VT-232 and VT-235 I have never seen before that I remember.... the VT-235 is probably an early VHF receiving tube... late thirties or very early forties. Rarity and value of both types unknown.

The GE crystal is a high precision quartz crystal cut to resonate at 5505 KHz. Useful for anyone who needs to build a high precision oscillator at that frequency. Value determined by demand. If you need a rock of that frequency, you could expect to pay close to $100 today to have one made by one of the few crystal houses that are left. If you don't need that particular frequency, it is a desk top curio, value zero.

I hope the above is of some help.

Regards,

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 1:34 pm 

Thank you. That helps a lot.

Jthorusen wrote:
Greetings to oldradio99 and the Forum:

The 15A is a final amplifier triode for a VHF radar, circa WW II. I have a 15E. They don't seem to be especially rare or valuable.

The VT-127 I have never seen before. Rarity or value unknown. Application probably similar to the 15A/E.

The 832 is a dual (two tubes in one envelope) beam power pentode. It is intended for class C plate modulated telephony in the VHF spectrum, especially designed to facilitate a push-pull RF amplifier design. Typical average power output at VHF is about 12 watts. Used as PA tube in the ARC-4 VHF airborne radio as fitted to various WW II aircraft. Not especially rare or valuable, I have two or three of them. Good tube though.

The 5713 I have never seen before either. It looks like a "lighthouse" transmitting triode or possibly a tetrode (can't see the contact rings well enough in your photo to tell)... Rarity and value unknown.

The 250TH is an HF transmitting triode rated for a plate dissipation of 250 watts. Rarity and value fairly high. Not useful for much today except for those hams who are into building vintage high power HF transmitters.

The VT-232 and VT-235 I have never seen before that I remember.... the VT-235 is probably an early VHF receiving tube... late thirties or very early forties. Rarity and value of both types unknown.

The GE crystal is a high precision quartz crystal cut to resonate at 5505 KHz. Useful for anyone who needs to build a high precision oscillator at that frequency. Value determined by demand. If you need a rock of that frequency, you could expect to pay close to $100 today to have one made by one of the few crystal houses that are left. If you don't need that particular frequency, it is a desk top curio, value zero.

I hope the above is of some help.

Regards,

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 10:04 pm 

Download a copy of >>MIL-HDBK-213 5 November 1963 its PDF and its free,covers over 10,000 tubes,303 pages..I have a vt-127 A too.VT-118 (832) used in ARC -5 VHF radio.. :D

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 10:59 pm 

Its so sad I have to liquidate my collection.

Just no room or place to display

PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 2:22 am 

The crystal is on a useless frequency IMO. The second tube is collectible as an oddity. Maybe so for the first one. Throw away the flash tube and put the rest on ebay. Since you probably cannot test them in any proper fashion just note if the filaments have continuity when you sell them. Better cash than trash. But you will not get rich. Or list them on ARF for sale. Someone will probably snap them up.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 4:59 pm 

That crystal is used in ARC-5 transmitter.The freq is used for Volment weather broadcast on USB from Ireland at night.I hear it here after dark. :D

PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 5:54 pm 

sprman wrote:
That crystal is used in ARC-5 transmitter.The freq is used for Volment weather broadcast on USB from Ireland at night.I hear it here after dark. :D

Thank you

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 1:54 am 

Weren't crystals in the Command Set transmitters not active? It's been a !ong time, but I thought they were simply used as a frequency indicator, tune the vfo until it peaks through the crystal. I thought the magic eye tube was the indicator but can't remember.

That doesn't change your point.

Michael

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 12:31 pm 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
Norm Leal wrote:
Last one is a projector lamp.....

Also known as a monode.

RRM

...........or an early lab mockup of a LED. :-D. A bonus... you can keep your hands warm in winter if you get close enough. LIght AND heat from a .... tube.... wow

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 6:45 pm 

Quote:
Weren't crystals in the Command Set transmitters not active? It's been a !ong time, but I thought they were simply used as a frequency indicator, tune the vfo until it peaks through the crystal. I thought the magic eye tube was the indicator but can't remember.

That's correct. The crystals in the ARC-5 transmitters were used as resonators to check the accuracy of the master oscillators which were VFOs. The crystal did not set the frequency of the transmitter. As you tuned the frequency dial through the resonant frequency of the crystal, the eye tube would open, showing that the dial was correct. Since it was convenient to have the "check frequency" at or near where the transmitter would be operated, a variety of crystal frequencies available. 5505 KHz was one of the more common ones.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 10:50 pm 

Sometimes I can't even remember why I know something, and as I wrote that last reply, I wasn't even sure if the crystal was used as an indicator or not. A search after posting tood me I was right, even fkund ann old QST article abiut adding a crystal oscillator, external, to a Command Set for Novice users. Kind of a waste since they were kniwn for their VFOs, but then Novices didnn't have anything but crystal control till 1972.

Michael