Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 08, 2019 1:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: looking for large flybacks similar to Thordarson FLY 306?
PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 1:46 am 

First time posting here. I am a hobbyist dabbling in HV for a good many years. Many of the parts I've used in the past came from televisions, especially those from the b&w era. However, due to an accident, someone accidentally tossed out the five remaining flybacks I had in storage last year. I only use these to make small HV power supplies for personal use. They are of the AC type without built in diodes. So far, I've been able to replace one with the subject mentioned one from a private source. This FLY 306 is one of the largest flybacks I've come across and will make a good power supply. Unfortunately, my source didn't have any others. I'm seeing them on eBay and took a gamble on a Thordarson FLY 458 but it turned out to be only about half the size of the 306. Unfortunately, I can't tell from almost any of the eBay ads as to the size and I don't see much on the web about them. Any pointers here would be welcome, perhaps starting with flybacks similar to the 306.

Thank you in advance,
Eric

Post subject: Re: looking for large flybacks similar to Thordarson FLY 306
PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 4:51 am 

Here's a catalog page with some universal ones they made.. I'm guessing the higher number ones like 306 were set specific.

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/xfm/THORDARSON_400L/005.jpg

Post subject: Re: looking for large flybacks similar to Thordarson FLY 306
PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 4:58 pm 

Thanks. That site also lead me to a couple of other catalogs. The higher Thordarson numbers though stopped showing anything about transformer specifics. However, after some hours searching last night, I was able to narrow this one down to being used in Philco TV chassis 13G20/C/U which was a 16" B&W tv from 1963. The Philco part number for this flyback was 32-10008-1. It normally operated around 16 kV DC, but was capable of up to 20 kV DC. This is ideal for what I am looking for.

I am unable to find any further info on the higher Thordarson numbers, however. There must be other transformers from that era that would work, so I've narrowed it down to the size of the flyback's secondary: if 2.25" or greater diameter (7" circumference) and at least 1/2" thick, I should be able to use it as long as long as there's no built in diodes or the insulation isn't cracked. So, should anyone have ones like this, please contact.