Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 29, 2020 10:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tubes Tubes Tubes
PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 10:30 pm 

Hi everyone,
This is my first post as required by the forum to set a profile. Firstly, i'm not a radio or electronics guy, just know some basics on old cars is about all. I bought a "lot" of about 500 tube and transistor American car radios from an audio shop that operated from the late 50's to early 70's. I've learned a lot about the radios, and have enjoyed selling them mostly on ebay. I've even sold some radios and parts to members of this forum.
As part of the purchase, I also got boxes and boxes radio repairs parts like Delco, NOS speakers (mostly motorola golden voice) and perhaps 1500 vacuum tubes of all kinds of brands which appear to be NOS. They have been stored in a garage and not moved for the last 40 years or so. I know nothing about tubes except what I've learned on the internet which is most aren't likely worth much, some can be valuable, and most legitimate seller's test them. I don't know if tubes were car audio specific, they seem to be somewhat sorted into trays.
I'm trying to decide what to do with the tubes, sell them as a lot and be done with it and at what price. Do I inventory all of them, and attempt to test them and maximize dollars (but likely make less than minimum wage in the end). I was given a tester but don't know if it works.
Any thoughts, I am not retired, a full time worker and very busy with 2 kids at home and restoring a car in my little spare time. What I'd like if there's someone local to Los Angeles (South Bay) who would like to stop by and help me evaluate what I have would be welcomed and maybe teach me a bit so I can make an informed decision on what to do with them.
Thanks
Steve

Attachments:
Vacuum tubes 3.jpg
Vacuum tubes 3.jpg [ 83.47 KiB | Viewed 1082 times ]

Post subject: Re: Tubes Tubes Tubes
PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 10:41 pm 

Steve

Most of the tubes in your photo are for TV with filaments wired in series. These don't have a lot of demand. Several like 1T4, 3Q4, 3S4 are used in radio. Check AES, www.tubesandmore.com to get an idea as to value.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 11:27 pm 

thank you Norm, I'll check out that site. That photo is just one of the trays, and there are probably 15 or 20 total trays. They sorted by number starting with 1, looks like it goes up to tubes with 25 and a few 50. Oh and seem like have a thousand radio knobs too.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 11:58 pm 

Some 1 and 3 tubes are used in portable old tube radios. Most interest will be in the 6, 7 and 12 filament jobs. Then some of the odd ones like 25, 35 and 50 are used in many old radios, not super valuable but can sell. Oddballs like 4, 10,11, 17, 23 etc. that might be for TVs only, will have limited to no interest to most people. Even some of the 6 and 12 may be very common or low demand. But have more potential. There is a niche of vintage TV collectors so some of those tubes can sell, but I suspect there is more supply than demand. Some tubes have identifiers that are 2-4 numbers no letters. Those are commercial and military designations. They can be desirable depending on what regular tube part they are equivalent to, if applicable. Would not toss out any tubes unless they are broken, or turned white inside from leaks, without advice. I am sure that it would be tiresome to post a list of what you have but an old radio guy could scan the labels in the boxes in just a few minutes and have a good idea of what needs to go or not. I would also say that if the tube brand in a carton does not match the label, let alone the part number, it is a concern as some service people would use a new tube and put a weak or used one back in the same box, "just in case".

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 12:22 am 

Thank you for the information. Appears in fact most are 6, 7 and 12s. There are many different makers, was their a "best" maker of tubes which are the most desirable?
Here's a photo of some of the boxes of tubes and how they were sorted. I would comment with the car radios I bought, he boxed each one individually, taped it shut and labeled each box with year, car and model#(thank goodness) Sort of amazing to open a box after 50+ years and pull out a radio that looks almost new.

Attachments:
IMG_4988.JPG
IMG_4988.JPG [ 227.7 KiB | Viewed 1049 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 12:56 am 

What I would do is sell each box individually on ebay, at auction. All you need to do is make sure all the tube numbers are visible for buyers. The market will determine the value. Some boxes, like this one will net only 5 or 10 dollars. Some others maybe $100+. Brand name is mostly irrelevant; Only the numbers are necessary for buyers.
It may take a while but that will be the only fair way for you.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 1:36 am 

Well certain tubes of European manufacture bring a premium, for certain numbers. Telefunken, Mullard, Amperex, I think, others too. The first small tubes you should look for are 12AX7 types and bigger 6L6 and 6V6 tubes I think. Fast sale if good. Some other audio tubes are in high demand but these are a start. US brands in those are good sellers too. IF the box matches the tube.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 2:37 am 

Appreciate everyone's responses and already learning so much.
took a quick gander at some of them, looks like everybody used to be in the tube business back in the day, here are some of the makers I have: Philco, Mullard, Arcturu, Motorola, RCA, Raytheon, GE, Tung Sol, Channel Master, Zenith, Sylvania, Delco, GM, JRC, CBS, Amperex and a few one offs. I can't understand how there can be so many model #'s created but perhaps I'll try to sort them by model/maker and examine the contents of each box.....if I can figure out how to open these old boxes without tearing!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 2:52 am 

Steve Tochi wrote:
Appreciate everyone's responses and already learning so much.
took a quick gander at some of them, looks like everybody used to be in the tube business back in the day, here are some of the makers I have: Philco, Mullard, Arcturu, Motorola, RCA, Raytheon, GE, Tung Sol, Channel Master, Zenith, Sylvania, Delco, GM, JRC, CBS, Amperex and a few one offs. I can't understand how there can be so many model #'s created but perhaps I'll try to sort them by model/maker and examine the contents of each box.....if I can figure out how to open these old boxes without tearing!

Lots of tubes were made by the several big manufacturers like RCA, Sylvania, etc and relabeled for other companies. I would not sort by brand, but rather tube number. As for opening boxes, I like to use something like a letter opener to slip under the lid and work it open without ripping the box.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 4:21 am 

I agree. Don't separate by maker/brand. It's the tube numbers that are important. I see from lettering on the flats they are sorted by number already.
Think of each flat being full of rocks, with one or two pieces of gold in there. The collectors will notice which ones have the gold and will bid accordingly.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 9:11 am 

In the late 50s and early 60s there were maybe 50 types of tubes that were specific to car radios with virtually no use anywhere else except for experimenters. Of these, there were maybe 10 types that were common. All the American types begin with 12. Some of the American equivalents to European types begin with 6. European types begin with E. All of them are 7 or 9 pin miniature types.

That doesn't help much if you are looking for car radio specific tubes but it eliminates all those that start with other numbers and also large tubes. But car radios from other vintages used tubes that were common in household radios so the above comments don't apply to them. The only exception is the 0Z4 which was common in car radios and nowhere else, but it could have been used elsewhere so I can't say it was only in car radios.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 3:26 pm 

If/when you do list on the auction site, title will read "LOT of (qty) radio vacuum tubes, then maybe throw one or two numbers in the title "6BQ6, 6L6, etc. Then, in the listing description, spell out every single number that will be included. On ebay, if someone searches for a specific tube, your listing will come up if you have that number typed out. Some sites don't do as good a job of searching unless it's in the title.
You might even try to get your feet wet on this forum (read the rules on classifieds - you'll want to add your state and zip to your profile), but there would be no auction - you'd have to assign a set value, and either have no response, or leave money on the table if you're guessing. And, it might be preaching to the choir here-many of us are sitting on hundreds of tubes already.
My two shiny pennies, Dan

PostPosted: Nov Sun 10, 2019 4:38 am 

[quote]many of us are sitting on hundreds of tubes already/quote]

or thousands. Hey, it's not my fault.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 10, 2019 2:56 pm 

The 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s car radios used the same tubes as the home radios of the era. Starting around 1957, the hybrid radios appeared, which all used 12 volt filament tubes to drive a transistor output stage. There were some unique types of tubes used in them, as was mentioned.

Common tube car/home radio tubes:

6A7, 6B5, 6D6, 6F7, 6K7, 6Q7, 6U7, 6V6, 6SA7, 6SK7, 6SQ7, 6SR7, 6X5.
12BA6, 12BE6, and the 6 volt equivalents. 12BF6, 12V6. The 0Z4 as mentioned earlier.

Any two-digit tube numbers are for 1930s radios and amplifiers.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 4:06 pm 

Clearly this stash goes far beyond what a 60s car radio shop would likely need for tubes.

When you are selling, the specialty auto radio tubes are among the ones that will be hardest to move.

The on-line tube vendors do give an idea of which tubes are more valuable, but don't be too excited by the prices. There has to be a pretty big spread between the buy and sell prices, or these guys could not pay their rent. I have seen 100% markup mentioned, but expect it is even higher for the slow movers.

Did you get any replacement vibrators? Those might generate some excitement, even if not Hitachi brand.

Ted

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 8:29 pm 

Thanks everyone for your input. I have a lot to learn about the vacuum tube cult.
I will go through the boxes and see what else I have, there was a box of vibrators, some appeared new, some beat up. I put them on ebay and they sold right away. There are lots of car speakers, antennas, and misc. I've been focused on selling the car radios to free up space in my garage. I also got a few Hitachi am/fm radios, which I thought were aftermarket junk, turns out they are for 1970-71 Datsun 240z which appear to be quite valuable.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 2:08 am 

If you find any genuine Delco parts, list them here in the Classified.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 6:40 am 

Tim Tress wrote:
If you find any genuine Delco parts, list them here in the Classified.

I do have lots of Delco replacement parts (tape motors, tune controls and some speakers), and will put them up for sale.

Attachments:
IMG_4313.JPG
IMG_4313.JPG [ 121.01 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]