Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 26, 2021 12:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 42-380 Transformer.
PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 9:01 pm 

Hello:
I have started a rebuild of a Philco 42-380 and found that the filament windings in the transformer is open (ohms test). I purchased this unit about twenty years ago and finally found some time to get to it. The cord was cut off when purchased and I have not attempted to power up until all caps are replaced. My question is can I just add a 6.3 v transformer to supply the filament windings? Looking at a Hammond 166n6 with 4 amp output. The other two output windings the resistance valves are good. Also I expect the 6X5 tube might have taken the transformer out since it failed it's test on a Sencore tube tester.

Post subject: Re: Philco 42-380 Transformer.
PostPosted: May Wed 19, 2021 12:55 pm 

You can do that but why? Why not ask for a transformer of the same physical size? Many have a 5volt winding, in which case you could put an 80 or 5Y3 in for the rectifier like most radios of the time. Craig

PostPosted: May Sat 22, 2021 10:14 am 

open filament windings are VERY rare... are you sure you are doing that right ? for a test, remove the rectifier tube and power the radio up.... look for other tube filaments to be lit and let it run 15 mins , make sure the xfmr stays about room temp. If so, its good ! First test i do on every AC power radio with a transformer.

http://www.oldradioparts.net

PostPosted: May Sun 23, 2021 3:35 am 

Mark: Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a test later in the week.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 01, 2021 3:45 am 

Mark:
Thanks for the tip. I removed the rectifier tube and installed all other tubes and the 6.3 volts is working correctly. I can see the filaments light up. It ran for 15 minutes and the transformer was cool to the touch. Once again thanks

Glen