Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 18, 2021 6:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Seeking Experiences from members who Sold large lots of
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 2:37 am 

If you plan to sell on venues such as Craigslist or Facebook Market Place, here's a few suggestions:

Don't post "Reasonable offers only" or "Serious inquiries only" or "No lowball offers". That's just being standoffish, an attitude which is very effective in scaring away prospective buyers especially if you don't indicate what an unreasonable offer is, what a serious inquiry is, or what a lowball offer is. Nobody likes to deal with people who have a standoffish attitude.

Don't post "Taking or accepting offers". This just indicates that your either just feeling the waters for what the market is willing to pay for an item and your simply not all that serious about selling it or your just to darn lazy to do a little research on your own and you lack the spine to post any kind of a solid price. Prospective buyers don't like to play games and this is definitely one of those games.

Don't be to obsessed in holding out for every little penny. Do that and you'll probably wind up never selling that tube lot. Remember, your father invested money into those tubes, not you. You have nothing invested into those tubes so whatever you sell those tubes for can be considered 100% profit to you. Even if you were to sell the whole lot for just $1, that would be a $1 profit for you. An item's value is not determined by what it's priced at but by what someone is willing to actually pay for it. Keep in mind, buyers will most likely have a much better idea in the overall value of your tube lot then you do. An offer from one potential buyer may not be all that far off from offers from other potential tube buyers. Sometime the first offer that comes along will be about as good as it will ever get. Buyers don't like dealing with sellers who are altogether way to greedy, way to stubborn, and way to ignorant.

When it comes to tube stocks from TV repair shops, the vast majority of those tubes will usually be strictly TV tubes (around 80% or more) and the rest will be a combination of audio tubes, Hi-Fi tubes, radio tubes and other useful and desirable tubes. Many times a lot of supposedly NOS tubes are actually consist of a large number of pulls which are used tubes placed back into a box. Pulls are considered used tubes and generally have far less value then confirmed NOS tubes. They are scorned by many tube buyers. TV tubes, even NOS examples, generally have little value when sold in lots. Their full potential value is usually realized when sold individually on Ebay and even then it may take a long time for them to sell. The only people who are truly in a position to buy out large lots of tubes are the tube brokers. They generally pay around 10% to 20% of a tube lots retail value knowing that they may only wind up only selling about 10% of the tubes on the open market.

Most radio collectors, audiophiles, Hi-Fi buffs, TV collectors, and music buffs already are well stocked with the more common and useful tubes. There's probably not a single tube in your father's tube stock that anybody's just dying to have. Your father's tube stock is just another of a many large tube stashes that's currently being offered onto the open market. It's no different then the hundreds of others that have been offered for sale over the past few decades and there'll be many more tube lots that will be offered for sale in the years to come. There's basically no shortage of about 99% of the various types of tubes out there.

How about posting some good clear photos of the entire tube stock so that members here at ARF can look them over and give you their opinions as to what it's worth and what kind of realistic offers you can expect.

Hope these suggestions are of some help.

Good luck and have fun selling those tubes.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 2:49 am 

My ad was seeking sellers experiences, but seems I got personal opinions, which can be useful. I started going with Dad to his shop when in Junior High and stopped when he closed up the business in the later part of the 1970s. I am now in my 70s and still enjoying tube work.

I actually repair/restore/modify Tube audio equipment, build test equipment etc. Also did a few modern Flat screen TVs . No. did not follow in his footsteps, but learned "a little." Businesses note the selling prices for their tubes.

I am "familiar" with the tube market and worked in Retail. I am fascinated to see how people think. His tubes are actually NOS/American with a few British/Germans mfg.

Your comments are duly noted .

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 7:01 am 

Some people sell their junk tubes on ebay in cheap lots for the artistic types to repurpose. You have to put words like "steampunk" and "retro" into the title though. :D
I also know of one dealer who has 25,000 of some weird sub mini thyratron tube that they want $15 each for, and has little practical use, but they also have large quantities of a sub mini voltage regulator tube for $2 each that might have some use to an experimenter, so the dealers aren't immune to crazy prices for something that will probably never sell, but takes up a lot of space. :roll:

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 3:30 pm 

Seems like the tube market is as varied as the people selling them! My son & I were "just" talking about the "steampunk market." Good place for those 17 volt filament TV Tubes . Key seems to be Research .

People are out to "make a buck" or "find a Deal".
Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 4:03 pm 

Go to http://www.Findatube.com
Bob has the list in numerical order and his prices show very fairly priced retail value.

Also Bob is a buyer... so check to see if he's interested in your lot.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 4:42 pm 

Thanks for this Info! Good to have.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 2:31 am 

Scott wrote:
Well, I guess a lot depends on what you have. Some tubes are worth a lot of money and Ebay is by far the best way to get the most from them. With enough expensive numbers, I would sell them off and dump the rest for whatever you can get. I know someone who picks the audio tubes from his constant purchases and then dumps the $1 to $5 tubes at radio events for 50 cents each. They actually sell pretty well for 50 cents each and they are out of his hair. If there are only a few audio tubes, you may need them to sell the whole lot and at that you may only get 10 cents each if there are lots of TV and common types. But ultimately, it depends on what you have. I see ads on Craigslist and FB Market place with laughable prices for tubes. 99% of them are not worth more than a few bucks in NOS condition, and large lots sell for much less. I am in the same boat as I have about 6000 miniatures (NOS) that I want gone, but only a few hundred are good selling audio numbers. I might entertain offers from dealers. Aside from large base triodes, there is not shortage of good affordable tubes out there.

I've seen that in my area, guys with a rectifier tube like a 5U4GB, and mismatched 6V6Gs, wanting $30 for the prior, and $40-50 each the latter, whilst they may have boxes the claim of them being NOS is dubious since the poster admits that they have no way of testing them. Another fool who went on fleabay picking the highest BIN prices as starting points. I have boxers of 6V6GTs, and a good supply of 5U4s, yes they are used in amplifiers, but were also used in millions of TVs, and are still being made in Russia, and elsewhere.
I remember a consignment shop where someone put out some 6L6GBs for sale, and some 12AX7s, yes they were in the original boxes but they had scratches on the bases from those spring loaded keepers they have in many guitar amps, definitely used tubes. I pointed this out to the manager and they disappeared by the next time I went in, she did not like vendors misrepresenting their items.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 8:47 pm 

Seems Honesty is a lost Art! Everyone wants to either hoard tubes .

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 9:44 pm 

Judging from local craig's list ads, I get the feeling non-technical people get ahold of some tubes, and price according to the internet, or maybe a bit of folk knowledge.

So just a handful of tube types, and high prices.

Since theads repeat, they may not be getting sales.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 2:29 am 

Yup! See that in our CL. Want to buy a "Dog"? Cost runs $1000 for a Dog that not long ago sold for $100 . Houses over priced, Stock Market WAY over-Valued etc.

Sad.