Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 19, 2021 5:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 7 pin to Local adapter parts
PostPosted: Jul Sat 31, 2021 10:27 pm 

I'm looking for the 7 pin wafers that have the pins attached with the ability to solder a loctal socket on top. Converting a 1L6 socket to use a 1LA6 tube on top. Now I know they are out there some where because I have one and it has a wafer holding the 7 pins, but I've had no luck after hours searching. If I could find the 7 pin wafer, then I could build my own adapter. I've searched for the complete adapter for a long time now with no success. Has anyone come across this part???

Freeman

Post subject: Re: 7 pin to Local adapter parts
PostPosted: Aug Sun 01, 2021 2:18 am 

Thanks, Freeman. Now I’m bumfuzzled. I just went looking for the one I made decades ago and I can’t find it. I took the base of a seven pin miniature socket saver that I attached to a Bakelite tube base large enough to hold a Loctal socket and wired it for 1L6 to 1LA6. It worked beautifully but now I can’t find it. Tomorrow (if I remember), I will look in my Zenith TO’s. I have twenty or more piled up and I may have left it in one of the radios. If I am able to find it, I will post a picture.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 01, 2021 2:46 am 

Just take a wafer type 7 pin tube socket and run stiff bare wires of the correct diameter through all the tube pin holes, then solder them to the lugs. Now you have a homemade plug.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 01, 2021 3:13 am 

This is how I do it too. Works good. lasts a long time.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 01, 2021 5:28 am 

If it's for an H500 ZTO, the 1L6 socket hole is punched for a loctal socket. You can always replace the 7 pin min. socket. It's a 1-to-1 correspondence until the last pin (1L6 pin 7 goes to 1LA6 pin 8) .

John

PostPosted: Aug Mon 02, 2021 3:43 pm 

I’m finishing up a H500 now and it has the 1LA6 hole punched out on it KX5JSC.
I found what I needed today looking for strong wire to use as pins through a 7 pin wafer socket. It is the 7 pin PCB board that will adapt up to a loctal socket. And off to the side were the pins I need. My caliper says the tube pins are 1mm so these should do fine. Both parts are coming from China and takes 30 days. So I’ll wait and see.
Attachment:
7Pin PBC Board.jpg
7Pin PBC Board.jpg [ 48.99 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]

Attachment:
PCB Pins.jpg
PCB Pins.jpg [ 68.05 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]

Freeman

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 5:35 pm 

My parts arrived. The holes are quit a bit larger than the pins so it took a while coming up with a way to keep them straight. They aren’t as easy to build as I thought they would be. Very time consuming. A third hand would make the job much easier. Didn’t turn out to bad and they worked in my radio very well. The 1LA6 tested high and what a difference over the 1L6 on the lower band. Stations coming in much stronger.
Attachment:
1L6 to 1LA6 adapter top (1).JPG
1L6 to 1LA6 adapter top (1).JPG [ 663.49 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
1L6 to 1LA6 adapter bottom (2).JPG
1L6 to 1LA6 adapter bottom (2).JPG [ 666.17 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Freeman

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 6:07 pm 

All parts available in the US.

7 pin pcb minitube socket: https://talonelectronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=2519
Loctal tube sockets: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333915396872?h ... Sw65lgR8zb
wire: https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/ta ... fault.aspx

I sell these parts for $10ppd in the US.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 9:51 pm 

I got these pins because they are tapered at one end. Do you taper your pins? I tried plugging the flat ends into another socket to keep them all straight. Didn't work out. They don't want to go in very well. I got my Loctal sockets from the same guy and almost sent them back. We all know removing a Loctal tube is a royal pain, but his are almost impossible to get out. I was able to expand his socket pins a tad with a jewelers screwdriver enough so now the tube comes out like they do with the old sockets. I was thinking about selling a few, but I can't remember what the other complete sets sold for. Maybe put it on Ebay starting at $5 and let the buyers tell me.

Freeman

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 11:40 pm 

I was able to fit the pins into the socket, did not taper them (regular tube pins are just rounded on the bottom), maybe since they are phosphor bronze which is stiffer. Yes those ceramic sockets are tight but old loctal sockets are expensive $10 a piece.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 02, 2021 3:50 am 

When I solder those pins into the PCB board, I use a pin straightener as a jig to hold the loose pins in alignment while I solder them into the board. Works well and I always have ended up with a proper fitting adapter when I am done.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 10:29 pm 

I tried your pin straightener idea. The only one I have in in an old tube tester and the holes are to big. Pins just wobble around in them. In the process of doing that, I noticed a flat orange eraser on my bench. I pushed a dud 7 pin tube into it all the way down. Wiggled it around some and pulled it in and out a few times. It made perfect holes and when I slide the pins into the holes with needle nose, the go in easy and the correct length. They stand up perfectly straight. Laid the wafer over them and now the heat test. I soldered the pins onto the PCB and they came out perfect. The proper length and the heat had no affect in the eraser. I now have a jig that makes the job easier.

Freeman

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 9:28 pm 

Thanks for the inspiration!
I'm thinking the lock on the Loktal sockets could be cut off but I suppose you pull the tube and adapter out together and then dislodge the tube from the adapter.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 2:49 pm 

Yup. Remove tube and socket together. Then you can dislodge the tube from the socket with a little help from a small screw driver. I have been testing each adapter in a H500 and noticed audio distortion when using 1LA6 tube, but none with a 1L6. Almost like motor boating. I need to do an alignment and see if that clears it up.

Freeman