Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 19, 2021 11:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it a terminal strip, or what?
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 2:20 am 

That long metal strip below the tuning condensor, and rivetted to the chassis. What is it?
Attachment:
20210904_164027sm.jpg
20210904_164027sm.jpg [ 285.21 KiB | Viewed 462 times ]

There are three "pairs" of solder lugs along the strip. One of the centre lugs is part of the metal casing (thus grounded), while all the others are insulated from the casing. There is no continuity between any of the lugs...even within a pair, which is why I used quotes--there doesn't appear to be any pairing behaviour going on.

So what's perplexing is that each "pair" has one lug with two wires attached and one lug with a single wire attached. Single wires connecting to nothing...how useless is that?

This is a 1933 Hartco cathedral (24,35,47,80)--and an Audiola 517 doppelganger exists--that apparently wasn't significant enough to warrant a schematic...at least I haven't been able to find one for either radio. I'm a fair newbie to be attempting a restoration without a schematic and parts list, but hopefully if I go slowly and carefully I'll succeed and learn a lot along the way.

Cheers, Chuck

Post subject: Re: Is it a terminal strip, or what?
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 2:27 am 

It's official name is a Candohm resistor, which is a multiple section wirewound unit housed in a metal jacket.

They are generally considered to be extremely unreliable and capable of causing catastrophic failure if the insulation fails and one of the terminal lugs contacts the metal case. They are also well known to intermittently open.

Most of us would choose to replace it with terminal strips and individual wirewound resistors of the correct value for each section. The only way to know what those values are, is to get them off the manufacturer's schematic since they are almost never marked on the part itself.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 12:23 am 

Thanks so much! I said there was no continuity between the lugs because readings were outlandish (20M-ish) and I figured I was just getting backwash readings from the rest of the circuit, but knowing that it is a set of resistors then perhaps they're valid readings after all.
Chuck

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 12:33 am 

It would normally have resistances of a few k ohms down to less than 100 ohms, so it is open.