Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 25, 2021 3:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cassette belt ID
PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 5:53 pm 

Hi All
I have boom box in for new belts, but can't find any listing or manual.
It's a Clairtone 7975, same as MultiTech TBS-7900, same as General Shop CX-457F, same as Radiotone RRC-468L,, & there may be other clones out there with the same auto-reverse unit.
Does anyone know what the four belt numbers are? Apparently, the belt sizes need to be bang on or it won't work right.

Thanks
John

Post subject: Re: Cassette belt ID
PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 2:59 pm 

My 1996 PRB (Projector - Recorder Belt Corp.) Cross Guide covers all of the well known and lesser known national and international brands of audio cassette recorders and non of the brand names that you mentioned are included. Unfortunately the catalog doesn't cover boom boxes. I don't know where you'd get belt information for those boom boxes except for original factory service manuals.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 9:13 pm 

If they don't show up in the PRB catalog, good luck. You may have to resort to using string to measure the distance of each belt path then look for the next smaller size.

I have flying monkeys and I know how to use them.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 2:53 am 

vintageradiojohn wrote:
Hi All
I have boom box in for new belts, but can't find any listing or manual.
It's a Clairtone 7975, same as MultiTech TBS-7900, same as General Shop CX-457F, same as Radiotone RRC-468L,, & there may be other clones out there with the same auto-reverse unit.
Does anyone know what the four belt numbers are? Apparently, the belt sizes need to be bang on or it won't work right.

Thanks
John

I would be surprised to see a Clairtone cassette player, the Clairtone company used to be big back in the 1960s, but moved from the Toronto area to Nova Scotia, and went away in the early 70s. There were cassette players in the late 60s, but most were either of Phillips or Japanese manufacture, not Clairtone, they were also not considered Hi-Fi intended for dictation. Chances are some outfit bought the rights to the Clairtone name, and the boom box was made by a Japanese, Taiwan, or Korean company, look for manufacturer's logos on the transport mechanism.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 12:39 pm 

I'll probably have to use the string method, but it's not my first choice. The only number on the tape unit is 2203H1. Does that mean anything to anyone?
Thanks
John