Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 23, 2021 6:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Home link garage door openers
PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 1:49 am 

Problems opening my garage door with either it's remote or programming my car with Homelink. New door a roll up. Seems both homelink and my remote are very spotty for working. Seems that metal doors and garage door openers are not terribly compatible.
They worked spotty for closing but really spotty for opening. The only thing I could think was that the metal roll up door was blocking the signal from the car. My new car was even worse than the one I replaced, the transmitter from the car was at front bumper level. Well I ran a wire from the receiver antenna in the garage all the way to the front and across it. It works well.
Makes me wonder how many people have trouble with new metal garage doors and remote controls?

Post subject: Re: Home link garage door openers
PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 2:12 am 

My chauffeur hasn't mentioned it.

:) Greg.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 2:20 am 

Greg, do you have garages in Ireland? :lol:

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 2:33 am 

JerryHawthorne wrote:
Greg, do you have garages in Ireland? :lol:

He wouldn't know. His chauffeur makes the car appear and disappear. :)

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 2:47 am 

Well I guess I'm the only one out there that has problems with openers!

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 2:59 am 

Jerry, I have had a three car garage with two doors, both metal roll up types, for almost 30 years, and have never had a problem with the remotes.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 4:21 am 

On occasion, my garage remote refuses to open the door, even though I drive and park the same car to the same spot on the apron. It does not seem battery related as the problem will randomly come and go with months in between. It's like a collusion between the garage and car, saying you've been lazy for months now get out and open the door from the man door entrance. I would say it is 99.5 percent reliable, good enough for me.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 7:27 am 

Dale, I would have been happy with 99 percent.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 9:08 am 

fifties wrote:
Jerry, I have had a three car garage with two doors, both metal roll up types, for almost 30 years, and have never had a problem with the remotes.

You mean the wood styled Sears ones with the DIP switches to program them? Those were nice. Very basic, and nothing to go wrong. Built like a tank. I remember them, As my family had them up until a few (8 Years ago) Now we have the cheap ones from Lowes that work only half the time...

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 2:18 pm 

Do you have a PC near the garage? Some can emit RF that interferes with the opener. I set up some older PCs in the room above my garage to run Folding@home last year. Afterward the remote in the car had to be within a few feet of the opener to work but after shutting down the PCs the remotes work out to 300 feet. Also some LED lighting emits RF noise that reduces the sensitivity of openers.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 3:56 pm 

Mr. Highlander wrote:
fifties wrote:

You mean the wood styled Sears ones with the DIP switches to program them? Those were nice. Very basic, and nothing to go wrong.

Homelink would not have a clue how to duplicate the signal from that system. It's all rolling code digital these days.

I have two metal doors on my garage out back(garage is 24 years old). One has always operated perfectly while opposite side had very limited range at best. I tried different receivers, swapping units etc, never found much improvement. Finally mounted a update receiver on front wall, gives good range.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 6:10 pm 

All I can say is that extending the antenna outside the shadow of the metal door makes everything work every time.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 10:10 pm 

Our garage door opener recently started to give problems. The remote would open it, but not close it until the lights on the opener went out. Didn't matter if I used the handheld remote or the outside keypad. The problem turned out to be an electrolytic capacitor on the control board. Swapped it out and it has been working fine ever since.

PostPosted: May Fri 07, 2021 10:30 pm 

JerryHawthorne wrote:
All I can say is that extending the antenna outside the shadow of the metal door makes everything work every time.

Probably 35 years ago I made a GDO call that poor range was complaint. This was after we already knew there was a problem area. Anyway I get there and customer had strung wire around the entire garage, looked like a giant spider web. He said "I had it working good late last night", I said around 2AM? Yup, somewhere about that time. That was was when Ch 10 shut down their transmitter for evening, created enough of a harmonic to kill reception on 390Mhz. I ordered customer a 315Mhz receiver & transmitter, worked great. Unless one was in shadow of tower, removing antenna completely usually got the 390Mhz working at close range.

No I never tried a 315 on mine, those were special order figured a "extended" receiver was a better option.

Drifting a bit, around 20 years ago I added a factory remote to my '88 T-Bird, used receiver from a '98 Taurus. In studying outputs, realized I would have a unused door unlock function(didn't separate L&R door lock/unlock functions). Gives me bright idea, since output is 12v, why can't I activate a garage door transmitter with that second button press? No battery, just a 10 mfd cap across battery terminals was all that was necessary to trigger it. Mounted behind glove box, worked great when car was in garage. Could hit unlock twice and by time I got to garage door could walk under it & limb ito car.

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2021 4:13 am 

Colin Ames wrote:
Our garage door opener recently started to give problems. The remote would open it, but not close it until the lights on the opener went out. Didn't matter if I used the handheld remote or the outside keypad. The problem turned out to be an electrolytic capacitor on the control board. Swapped it out and it has been working fine ever since.

Good, now I know who to send mine to if it ever acts up, eh eh! :wink:

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2021 5:35 am 

I also changed abad electrolytic capacitor to repair our garage door opener. I had previously replaced a bad one (I did all of them) which made the display on our double wall oven blank. The total saved by both repairs exceeds the several thousand dollars most people would have spend buying new items.

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2021 5:36 am 

Excellent, now I have TWO repair sources, :wink:

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2021 9:41 am 

I hope this stray OT will get a laugh. I have two garage doors and have the larger button programmed to the two-car door and the small button programmed to the one-car door. One opener in each car and a spare in the drawer in the kitchen. That spare opener is so handy. I can open either door from the kitchen or carry around the opener when I am outside working in the yard.

Then, I went through a period of "Can't find that darn extra opener!" I looked all over the place, on shelves near the doors, in that kitchen drawer about 7 times, in the cars....

I was working in front of the garage and all of a sudden, the large door went up. I thought, "Wait a minute, I just put a load of wash into the machine. Sure enough, that opener was bouncing around in the machine. It was left in a pocket of a pair of pants that I had been wearing. I usually check my pockets before washing cloths but obviously, not this time!

It is amazing that this thing opened the door from within the washing machine and when wet! I quickly stopped the machine, retrieved the remote and opened it up, removed the battery and rinsed it off with tap water. Blow dry with compressed air and put into the sun, it was and still works fine! I was very happy to find that darn thing... the hard way (or is it, the wet way?)

Attachments:
remote.jpg
remote.jpg [ 54.11 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2021 11:19 am 
Site Admin

You obviously don't have one of those washing machines that locks the door until it finishes all the cycles.

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2021 12:07 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
You obviously don't have one of those washing machines that locks the door until it finishes all the cycles.

The top loaders I've seen with door lock can be paused and it will unlock.

Back about '16 I washed my cell phone, spent the night in washer. Of course it wasn't functioning when I found it. I put it in oven at 170*, rotated it every 30 minutes or so, came back to life. Wife washed it again last year, that was it's end... Even after second wash and another afternoon in oven, it powered on but display no longer functioned.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 33 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next