Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 16, 2021 1:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Marketing is getting a little... personal these days
PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 8:02 pm 

Scota4570 wrote:
"The harsh truth of the matter is, aside from a bot buried deep inside google mountain, no one cares where any of us shop, or what we buy. No one."
Then why are the spending billions doing it?

Companies care deeply about the aggregate. You or me personally? Not one whit. To believe otherwise is an exaggerated sense of self-importance.

PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 8:24 pm 

egg wrote:
Charles, my butler does most of my errands for me... :)
Nice! I always thought it would be strange to have a butler and maid, butt he older I get, the more it sounds like a good idea.

PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 8:29 pm 

egg wrote:
Your observed and recorded movements when carrying a dumb phone are achieved by cell tower triangulation.
Roughly it will pin you to a 3/4 square mile area.

The phone in your pocket is constantly "talking" to the network so it knows where to route your incoming calls and texts - - - from Vegas to Coney Island. lol
They probably retain this data for 12 months or longer.

Greg.

Another reason I never carry a cell phone, period.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 8:47 pm 

I suspect GPS had nothing to do with it. I'm going to bet you paid with a credit/debit card at the checkout and that tagged what you bought with your information. Think about it:

GPS isn't that accurate
GPS could not identify which item you grabbed off the shelf
GPS would have no way of knowing your IP address much less that it was you logged onto Facebook

Just turn GPS off, just turn the bloody thing off.

Larry

PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 9:47 pm 

Scota4570 wrote:
I value privacy. I do not like people profiting from me without my consent. Avoiding it is a game.

I have an old flip phone that I rarely carry. I can remove the battery. My cars are all old, no GPS. I browse with Brave, Tor and search with duck duck go. I never save internet history and disallow most cookies. I still have copper phone lines. I have a dumb TV. My computer has no camera or microphone.

"The harsh truth of the matter is, aside from a bot buried deep inside google mountain, no one cares where any of us shop, or what we buy. No one."

I agree 110%, and mostly the same here.

I use Linux. I have ad and tracker blockers installed in Firefox. FF is set to block giving location info to websites, the use of the camera and mic (on the machines that actually have them), and basically anything I can do to make it harder for this crap to happen. Same goes for my phone, which is usually off, and gets almost no web use. Except for looking at crap on Facebook Marketplace, I don't use social media either. No smart anything else here, other than my phone, and part of me doesn't like having it.

Advertisements don't work with me anyhow. Keep showing me annoying ads, and I will deliberately avoid your products / services instead of considering buying them. :twisted:

As for Google aka Spygle, what they do should be illegal. Tracking pretty much your every movement while you are online is stalking and spying.

PostPosted: May Fri 14, 2021 11:16 pm 

Maybe he used Google Pay or some such service.

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 12:17 am 

rocketeer beat me to it. You got tracked by your credit card purchase. GPS has no way to know what item you pulled off any given shelf.

But... I also echo the "so what" .... if they've got nothing better to do. "They" are just computers you know...no living being has the time to do this. :)

And as stated ... if you think GPS is tracking you, turn it off ;-) Personally I'd like to have EMS better able to find me if I ever need them ......

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 12:34 am 

Go to settings, privacy, scroll down to apple advertising and turn it off.

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 12:50 am 
Site Admin

Do use WiFi? Access points are all publicly viewable and are recorded in large databases. https://wigle.net has yours, as well as all the ones that are all around you right now.

https://ipleak.net will show you a lot of the information your browser provides to every web server you connect to.

PostPosted: May Sat 15, 2021 1:05 am 

tim@helios:~$ cat bin/whereami
#!/bin/bash

# Figure out where we are so we can get relevant weather.

# TM 2/25/21

ip=$(curl -s https://ipinfo.io/ip)
city=$(curl -s https://ipinfo.io/$ip | grep city | sed "s/\"city\": //" | tr -d \" | sed "s/,$//")

echo $city
tim@helios:~$ whereami
New York City

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 8:48 am 

Tim Mullen wrote:
Scota4570 wrote:

Companies care deeply about the aggregate. You or me personally? Not one whit. To believe otherwise is an exaggerated sense of self-importance.

Agreed !

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 11:46 am 

NW2K wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:
Civilian GPS is not that accurate.

Perhaps...but it does not need to be. UWB positioning is better than 10cm accuracy. iBeacon and NFC can be even better. These technologies mesh with GPS.

For many years, the military capability was classified. I never had a need to know exactly what it was,

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 1:53 pm 

Marketing is just lying to people to get them to buy your stuff.

Today's version is just worse since it involves breaching the privacy in any way regardless. Turn stuff off as much as possible. Refuse to buy from vendors that are not honoring your privacy.

Return to "Buyer beware" and "If it sounds too good to be true...."

Whiteville, TN

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 2:01 pm 

I'm more than mildly amused about all the hysteria about "privacy". What exactly is that anyway? No matter what you do today, you are going to get carpet bombed with advertising for this, that, this and that. It's no different now than it was 50 years ago, except now it's electronic and then it was paper mail and billboards. Although now it's some of both ;-).

One of the major reasons for the bombardment is that it costs the advertisers relatively little to do it, as compared, say, to a TV and Radio ad blitz along with bulk mailings. Now it's just Email all the time in your face.

Yes, it's annoying. But some sinister violation of your privacy? Dunno..... you still are not required to buy anything, are you? Are telemarketers also invading your privacy? We all love the barrage of telephone calls selling you automobile warranties, cheap loans, and telling you that you've won $1 million ...... annoying for sure but how is that something sinister?

If you want to crawl into a hole and vanish, then I suppose anything that can contact you in any way is an invasion of privacy. But advertising for products, imho, ain't. It's just a high level annoyance. I've got bigger fish to fry :)

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 10:41 pm 

Personally, I don't so much care why companies like Google are collecting so much personal data. The big problems I have are that they do it on nearly every website you visit, and without your consent. And, most people don't even know that they are doing it. I could understand (but not condone) it if they only did it if you were using their services.

It just blows my mind that so many people have the attitude that "I don't have anything to hide, so I don't care that my personal data it being collected."

Companies have obviously been doing this more and more in past years. Well, where does it end, then? :?

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 2:06 am 

beat_truck wrote:
It just blows my mind that so many people have the attitude that "I don't have anything to hide, so I don't care that my personal data it being collected."

It blows your mind that some people have different concerns than you? Seriously? I imagine we're on the same page about things like murder, but at some point in society different folks are going to be bothered by things that don't bother you, and vice versa. It bugs me when folks rag on Kids Today, other folks rag on Kids Today. That's life.

And it's not a matter of "nothing to hide", it's more a view that as an individual I'm simply not that important. I feel I live a pretty interesting life, and I also doubt anyone else cares.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 2:30 am 

Tim Mullen wrote:
beat_truck wrote:

It blows your mind that some people have different concerns than you? Seriously? I imagine we're on the same page about things like murder, but at some point in society different folks are going to be bothered by things that don't bother you, and vice versa. It bugs me when folks rag on Kids Today, other folks rag on Kids Today. That's life.

And it's not a matter of "nothing to hide", it's more a view that as an individual I'm simply not that important. I feel I live a pretty interesting life, and I also doubt anyone else cares.

Yep, seriously. :wink:

I ain't exactly important either. That isn't even part of the point here.

BTW, a lot of today's kids actually deserve to be ragged on. Some of them are downright pathetic.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 10:16 am 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
rocketeer beat me to it. You got tracked by your credit card purchase. GPS has no way to know what item you pulled off any given shelf.

Wouldn't that imply that the credit card company would be selling a customer's purchasing data to marketing or advertising companies?

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 11:22 am 

Renton481 wrote:
Barry H Bennett wrote:

Wouldn't that imply that the credit card company would be selling a customer's purchasing data to marketing or advertising companies?

it doesn't imply that, it more or less assumes that ;-) It is certainly not GPS that tracked your purchase of a box of Kleenex ...

Quote:
BTW, a lot of today's kids actually deserve to be ragged on. Some of them are downright pathetic.

every generation has its version of "kids today" .... it isn't just this one :roll:

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 11:37 am 

Two things I've noticed:

(1) the ads are for places where I already shop, so that seems to be a tad ineffective.

(2) The thing that bothers me the most, of online ads, is how long it takes for them to be brought up. They only start collating data when you enter the page. I can see that, if you're new to the net. But once you've been browsing a while, and they have a history on you, shouldn't an "appropriate" ad be INSTANT !? A little pre-queuing might be in order.

In short, the programmers at ad agency seem to be a bunch of untrained rookies.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 45 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next