Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 28, 2021 11:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gateway Essential 700S With Windows XP Will Not Boot
PostPosted: Jul Tue 14, 2020 7:43 pm 

just be aware that any antivirus will most likely render and slow that computer down to an almost useless level.

the top line dell 9600 loaded with 4 gigs of ram and a big pentium 4 chip from early y2k became useless for me on the net with antivirus. it wasn't much better w/o antivirus.

it seems to me that any computer before W7 (vista, W8, XP, horrible Win ME) is very slow on the internet no matter what processor with 4 gigs of ram or whatever browser is used.

any computer i had with rambus memory was horrible as in pack a lunch to open IE or Chrome to the homepage.

i am not being rude or being a poop. i am just saying what the *probable* outcome will most likely be.

ymmv.

steve

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 6:23 pm 

Time to resurrect an old thread. Last Thursday, I attempted to boot up my Gateway Essential 700S desktop computer. Even with the computer still off, the Dell monitor (which I had been using with this computer) had revealed this display a few seconds after the monitor was plugged in. With the Gateway Essential 700S then powered up, I still had this display.

Today, I swapped this monitor with an identical Dell monitor (which I had been using with my Dell XPS410 desktop computer), and the display was quite normal.

I'm not sure what happened as the Dell monitor was working fine before. Before I tear this monitor down to inspect/test the electrolytic capacitors, is there something else I should try first? Thanks!

Attachments:
Dell Monitor (9-19-2021).jpg
Dell Monitor (9-19-2021).jpg [ 328.03 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 9:42 pm 

Yes. Try throwing it in the garbage because the LCD appears to be broken. :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 11:24 pm 

plug your puter into something else and make sure it is not cable, GB, etc.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 11:57 pm 

Oh well, I guess that's the end of that LCD monitor. Thanks for the replies!

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 12:07 am 

ttx450cap wrote:

No sense bothering when you can actually see the cracks in the screen. :lol:

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 12:34 am 

master_of_none wrote:
ttx450cap wrote:

He does say - "which I had been using with my Dell XPS410 desktop computer" so that means.. most likely?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 12:56 am 

ttx450cap wrote:
master_of_none wrote:
ttx450cap wrote:

He does say - "which I had been using with my Dell XPS410 desktop computer" so that means.. most likely?

Did you actually look at the pictures? You can see the freakin' bullseye in the upper left hand corner.:roll:

And, he didn't say when he had been using it. Yesterday, five years ago.... Not that it even matters. :?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 1:27 am 

master_of_none wrote:

So you are saying that being he had a issue with the first display and then the second, he should only presume its the second display?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 2:30 am 

Say fellas, to clear things up. I actually have two Dell 1907FP LCD monitors. One of those monitors was used with my Dell XPS410 desktop computer, and the other one was used with the Gateway 700S desktop computer. As for the Dell 1907FP LCD monitor which I had used with the Gateway 700S desktop computer, I had stored it upstairs for over a year along with the Gateway 700S desktop computer, keyboard and mouse.

Last Thursday, I decided to bring the Gateway 700S desktop computer, the Dell 1907FP LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse downstairs as I wanted to use the Gateway 700S desktop computer with my HP 930C deskjet printer. That was when I encountered the problem with the Dell 1907FP LCD monitor.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 5:07 am 

ttx450cap wrote:
master_of_none wrote:

So you are saying that being he had a issue with the first display and then the second, he should only presume its the second display?

I'm talking about the one that he posted pictures of, which was the subject of his recent posts. I have no idea what the hell you are even talking about as he didn't even mention having a problem with the other monitor. :roll:

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 2:55 pm 

master_of_none wrote:
ttx450cap wrote:
master_of_none wrote:

I'm talking about the one that he posted pictures of, which was the subject of his recent posts. I have no idea what the hell you are even talking about as he didn't even mention having a problem with the other monitor. :roll:

Yes, the Dell monitor which I had been using with the Dell XPS410 desktop computer worked fine with the Gateway 700S desktop computer. It was only the Dell monitor which I had previously been using with the Gateway 700S desktop computer that had the bad display.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 6:41 pm 

Update: The used Dell 1907FP monitor which I had purchased on eBay for $40.00 total had arrived in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately, the eBay seller didn't pack that monitor very well as the top of the frame was partially broken off, and one of the sides wouldn't lock in place.

This morning, I swapped the back shroud from the old Dell 1907FP monitor with that of the one that I had purchased on eBay. As you can see from the photo, I now have a cosmetically nice and working Dell 1907FP monitor. Yeah!

Attachments:
Dell 1907FP Monitor.jpg
Dell 1907FP Monitor.jpg [ 379.99 KiB | Viewed 230 times ]

Last edited by Blustar1 on Oct Mon 04, 2021 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2021 10:53 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:
Update: The used Dell 1907FP monitor which I had purchased on eBay for $40.00 total had arrived in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately, the eBay seller didn't pack that monitor very well as the top of the frame was partially broken off, and one of the sides wouldn't lock in place.

This morning, I swapped the frame and the interlocking black strip from the old Dell 1907FP monitor with that of the one that I had purchased on eBay. As you can see from the photo, I now have a cosmetically nice and working Dell 1907FP monitor. Yeah!

Its to bad you got a dinged up monitor. Glad you got your puter working.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2021 12:39 am 

Actually, I only needed to swap the back shroud of the old Dell 1907FP monitor with the damaged one from eBay. What I have now is a cosmetically nice and functioning Dell 1907FP monitor. I'll tell you what though; that Gateway Essential 700S desktop is sure sluggish. Unfortunately, because Microsoft doesn't like to support its products for any length of time, this would be what to expect.

Attachments:
Back Panel Of Dell 1907FP Monitor Busted.jpg
Back Panel Of Dell 1907FP Monitor Busted.jpg [ 365.71 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2021 1:04 am 

I had stored the damaged Dell 1907FP monitor upstairs in an area which was unheated during the winter months so I wonder if that had some bearing on the LCD display being damaged. In any case, I'll store the 1907FP monitor from eBay downstairs next time.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2021 1:07 am 

Looks like that old monitor took a nasty fall or had something heavy dropped on it.

I'd forgotten the frustration of the XP black screen, glad you got yours tiddled up.

Good old Vista:
My abandoned PC is a Vista. I puled it out of 6 year storage a couple of weeks ago to test a balky external hard drive.
In the wireless keyboard, I found to my horror two Coppertop Duracells, both ruptured. Keyboard is dead even with fresh batts. Boot went to the same place as you, Hit F1 to continue.
With a new keyboard from the Sally Ann, PC booted up and I have a storage place for backups. Not sure how reliable that storage will be, so will have duplicate backups saved as well.
External HD just needed to be removed and reinstalled in the case, tarnished connection. Anyway, I'd forgotten a lot about older OS.

Nice colors, suitable for framing.

To think I took an MSDos course back in 1993, knew all the Dos commands. :D

Attachments:
Dell Monitor Blustar1ARF.jpg
Dell Monitor Blustar1ARF.jpg [ 43.78 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Oct Mon 04, 2021 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2021 1:18 am 

westcoastjohn wrote:
Looks like that old monitor took a nasty fall or had something heavy dropped on it.

I'd forgotten the frustration of the XP black screen, glad you got yours tiddled up.

Good old Vista:
My abandoned PC is a Vista. I puled it out of 6 year storage a couple of weeks ago to test a balky external hard drive.
In the wireless keyboard, I found to my horror two Coppertop Duracells, both ruptured. Keyboard is dead even with fresh batts. Boot went to the same place as you, Hit F1 to continue.
With a new keyboard from the Sally Ann, PC booted up and I have a storage place for backups. Not sure how reliable that storage will be, so will have duplicate backups saved as well.
External HD just needed to be removed and reinstalled in the case, tarnished connection. Anyway, I'd forgotten a lot about older OS.

To think I took an MSDos course back in 1993, knew all the Dos commands. :D

Duracell batteries have a long reputation for being notorious leakers. In fact, after Duracell batteries had damaged two pieces of my furniture some 15-20 years ago, I never purchased those batteries again.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2021 2:04 am 

I didn't know then what I know now - they have gotten even worse in the last few years. :x

PostPosted: Oct Thu 07, 2021 6:11 pm 

Hmmm.............Soon after I received the used 1705FP Dell monitor from eBay, I kept getting a "Your Clock Is Ahead" error with the Gateway 700S Windows XP desktop computer. This occurred every single time that I tried to get on the Internet using Google Chrome. Actually, I've been struggling for hours in trying to figure out how to correct the error so I need some tips from the computer pros on this site.

Yes, I had already replaced the BIOS 3.0VDC battery with a new one, and I still had the fault. In fact, there was nothing wrong with the original BIOS battery to begin with.

I tried many times to synchronize the Gateway 700S desktop computer with Internet time, and all of those attempts had failed. I mean, I believe that the time on the computer was always correct, but yet I was still getting the 'Your Clock Is Ahead' error.

Yes, I know that I'm dealing with an outdated and long unsupported Windows XP computer, but my Dell XPS410 desktop computer with Windows XP never incurs such an error, and I don't have trouble surfing the Internet with it.

By the way, if I try to use Internet Explorer with the Gateway 700S desktop, I still can't get on the Internet. Yes, I was able to get on the Internet before with this Gateway computer using Google Chrome, but it was a real hassle trying to surf the Internet with it.

What's the answer? Thanks!

Attachments:
'Your Clock Is Ahead' Error.jpg
'Your Clock Is Ahead' Error.jpg [ 271.84 KiB | Viewed 151 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 247 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next