Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 21, 2021 9:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Amazon
PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 1:51 pm 

Amazon is starting to annoy me.

Their 'Next day' shipping is no longer true. Close or the same
amount of time as USPS.

I am getting more items sent to me that are Not what I ordered,
and when I request that the correct item is sent, they send me
the same wrong item again.

Now, they have announced a new Fee of $9.95 for a Delivery from
their Whole Foods market. :x

I do love the selection, prices and convenience of Amazon, but...

Post subject: Re: Amazon
PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 2:05 pm 

We order at least 2 times a week from amazon and I can't remember the last time we got a wrong item.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 2:13 pm 

Had wrong item sent twice; took over a month for a refund. Emailed seller and they said they can't fix the issue, must be done through Amazon. Seller could have sent just the wrong part of the package, but Amazon won't let them.

Don't use Amazon much; use Ebay much more as I can deal with the seller directly. Funny that many things from ebay come in Amazon boxes.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 2:34 pm 

"Welcome to Amazon, I love you"

Attachments:
8c3aeb17d6e9de775919c43ed07e3c17f97971f5258167b65754c5a4d5d4e471_1 (2).jpg
8c3aeb17d6e9de775919c43ed07e3c17f97971f5258167b65754c5a4d5d4e471_1 (2).jpg [ 284.7 KiB | Viewed 791 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 4:54 pm 

Amazon is kinda like knowing which link to click on a google search. You have to kinda ignore the lowest price and look at the page as a whole. I've never been disappointed in amazon. Just like I rarely click on a bad google link or get scammed.
Ya need to develop some spidey senses.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 5:06 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Amazon has been a real benefit for us living is a sorta' remote area. And, since the onset of Covid and it's accompanying restrictions, we have used it even more. They rarely make a mistake and when they do it gets fixed .... fast.

One caveat .... the odd couple of times we've had an issue we have used the Amazon system to get it fixed. They don't waste any time getting it done.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 6:37 pm 

My big tip for success with Amazon is to --only-- buy things "shipped from Amazon", regardless of the seller (and recently, most things I buy are from other sellers). I also have the Prime service, so I only buy things that have Prime shipping available.

As long as I follow those two requirements, everything I order arrives quickly, and everything I do not want (wrong size, not as expected, whatever) is easy to return at no charge.

Whenever I find something only sold and shipped by a third party, I usually just look online for that seller directly and buy it there, if I really want/need it. That way, Amazon is not mixed in unnecessarily.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 11:08 pm 

SHenion wrote:
Don't use Amazon much; use Ebay much more as I can deal with the seller directly.

Same here. I usually find better prices on Ebay, too. Especially since I don't have or want to pay for Prime.

The last item we received from Amazon wasn't even what was pictured. It was the product's newer "replacement", which was quite different. :roll: We sent it back for a refund, and bought what we actually wanted on Ebay.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 12:32 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
master_of_none wrote:
Especially since I don't have or want to pay for Prime.

I pay an annual subscription for Prime, but over the course of a year Amazon sends me cash rebates on my Amazon card that more then make up for the annual fee, so I usually get more back than I paid.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 2:29 am 

and don't forget the free streaming service with Prime. Look, much of Amazon is storefront listings and you can't blame Amazon if a 3rd party screws up your order. Buying through Amazon is no different than buying through anyone else including Ebay, use your head when picking a product. If you're on Ebay would you buy a product priced really low from a seller with zero feedback? Then don't buy from a storfront on Amazon with zero or 2 or 3 feedbacks. Use your noodle. Out of 400+ Amazon orders in the past 18 months there were 2 screwups and both were taken care of in rapid fashion. I wish my luck with Ebay was that good. :(

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 3:01 am 

Shipping something that isn't what is pictured or described is a bait-and-switch. Doesn't matter who does it or why. :roll:

I'm approaching 1000 purchases on Ebay. Only somewhere around 10-15 of those transactions didn't go very well, and most of those were for used items. Almost all of them were either made right by the seller or refunded by Ebay. Can't complain too much about that.

And yes, I have bought items from sellers with few feedbacks. As long as sellers don't have a bunch of negatives or other obvious red flags, I'll give them a chance. With Ebay's buyer protection, why not? I've gotten some amazing deals on there. :wink:

As for Prime, I have thought about getting it, but I honestly wouldn't use any part of it enough to make it worth paying for.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 4:07 am 

I get prime through my metro by t-mobile phone plan. I use my roku to access it. There are a lot of movies, older t.v. shows, like bones, and their made for t.v. stuff .I

am usually not in a hurry get get items from them, so I used my prime days, which are Tuesday and Saturday. I have also gotten $5.00 on movie rental when I

do that.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 5:06 am 

I purchase from Amazon and eBay where ever I can get the best price with shipping and inconsideration of shipping time. I also evaluate the seller, if there is a chance the product may fail, I choose Amazon I am more likely to get a refund and or hassle free return shipping.

I have found prices for the same item can go either way. Simply depends on the item.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 8:47 pm 

There's been some significant slippage from Amazon regarding delivery times; it isn't unusual to get an after-purchase email that moves the original estimate back a day or two.

Still, it's a mild inconvenience compared to driving to some big box store, and hoping that their online inventory was accurate.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 9:55 pm 

Chas wrote:
I purchase from Amazon and eBay where ever I can get the best price with shipping and inconsideration of shipping time.

I have found prices for the same item can go either way. Simply depends on the item.

I do the same. Amazon is excellent for returns, and eBay's Buyer Protection seems to be equivalent. Using PayPal on eBay purchases adds an extra layer of protection as well.

I don't do Amazon Prime, as I'll combine purchases to get free shipping, and AFA movies, I have several streaming sites bookmarked for free flicks, up to 2021 release dates.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 3:03 pm 

Thanks for all replies, Guys. :wink:

You've given me some things to consider. :|

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 4:12 pm 

fifties wrote:
Chas wrote:
I purchase from Amazon and eBay where ever I can get the best price with shipping and inconsideration of shipping time.

I do the same. Amazon is excellent for returns, and eBay's Buyer Protection seems to be equivalent. Using PayPal on eBay purchases adds an extra layer of protection as well.

I don't do Amazon Prime, as I'll combine purchases to get free shipping, and AFA movies, I have several streaming sites bookmarked for free flicks, up to 2021 release dates.

Exactly, exactly and exactly.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 6:53 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
master_of_none wrote:
Especially since I don't have or want to pay for Prime.

I pay an annual subscription for Prime, but over the course of a year Amazon sends me cash rebates on my Amazon card that more then make up for the annual fee, so I usually get more back than I paid.

I love Amazon Prime as to get things shipped in two days normally after a few times doing it is going to be way more than prime.

Plus with Prime you get access to Amazon Music and just recently they upped the included access to Amazon's highest audio quality. Also Amazon Prime video is included.

There was one time my dad's 1/4" air ratchet broke and I found the replacement part on Amazon which I ordered on a Thursday. With Amazon Prime I only paid $3.00 shipping and the part was at my door the next day.

beeflat wrote:
There's been some significant slippage from Amazon regarding delivery times; it isn't unusual to get an after-purchase email that moves the original estimate back a day or two.

Still, it's a mild inconvenience compared to driving to some big box store, and hoping that their online inventory was accurate.

Think the pandemic may have something to do with that.

So far I've only had one issue with Amazon.

Bought something and it somehow got lost in the mail.

The cost was refunded quickly and I re-ordered and the item shipped from the same seller and arrived when it should.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 7:57 pm 

We play Amazon quite a bit. I have ORDERED the wrong item once or twice and they have taken it back without question. Have gotten adapters/fittings that did not fit and they took them back and even shipped the replacement BEFORE the receipt of the original.

The old Sears-Roebuck was the mail order model of the thirties and forties from my perspective. Amazon fills that same bill, in my opinion. The local guys are either gone (Radio Shack, NAPA, motorcycle/scooter dealers) or so big a pain not worth the trouble. Locals inventory of nearly anything is governed by inventory tax or short-sighted policies. "Buy local" is a great idea but you can neither buy nor sell from an empty wagon.

Enter Amazon and (@#!?@@$) ... ah...ebay. some ebay vendors good and reliable. Some not. Figger it out.

Whiteville, TN

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 8:31 pm 

A hundred years ago, a good portion of the population wss still rural. I'm sure many municipalities in the western part of the continent were still emerging.

So yes, Sears, and Eatons in Canada, were a source for a lot of things for a lot of people. Since they were doing business, might as well be even more general. Hence the catalog pages people post here for too of the line shortwave receivers, and other exotic items.

Amazon is like that. It really is a mail order business, with a website instead of a catalog. I am surprised by what they carry. Until two years ago, I just ordered books, CDs and DVDs, but while I was in the hospital, lots of time to search, "do they have this?" .

I got haven't gotten a wrong thing, and while things can be slow at Christmas, most things arrive when they say it will, sometimes soiner. I just use tye regular free shipping.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next