Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 24, 2021 8:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Space Crap
PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 3:19 am 

Just sitting in the backyard with a fire going on an unseasonably warm, cloudless Regina evening watching satellites crossing in all directions overhead.
Sometimes 2 or 3 at one glance. Way more crap circling the planet than ever before, but you never know when you'll need to inspect your roof from space. :D

Semper ubi sub ubi

Post subject: Re: Space Crap
PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 4:56 am 

There are currently 3,000 satellites in low earth orbit. Appears the number of satellites already approved for launch will increase that number to 30,000 within five years! As of early 2020 they are tracking about 14,000 objects in low earth orbit that were 10 centimeters across and larger! All this increases the chance of a collision that will only create yet more junk floating around.

Enjoy the rather uncluttered view now while you can. And to think as a kid I'd spend an hour of gazing up just to maybe if lucky see one satellite traversing the sky!

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 5:16 am 

Exactly! My parents had a nice dark place on the Costa Brava in Spain when they retired and on visits, my mum and I would lay on the terrace and watch for them. 3 or 4 would be sighted on a good night!

Semper ubi sub ubi

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 1:42 pm 

Hughes hired the company I worked for to service their commercial Satellites. We learned in training they are very far away from each other and are at different heights from earth so no problem banging into each other. They have enough gas to be moved around if any space junk gets close. When they run low on gas a new one is sent up just under neath the old. Then the old is sent up to to the junk yard as they called it. Look at a space map and they look close, but really hundreds of miles from each other.

Freeman

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 1:47 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Just one more radio wrote:
Just sitting in the backyard with a fire going on an unseasonably warm, cloudless Regina evening watching satellites crossing in all directions overhead.
Sometimes 2 or 3 at one glance. Way more crap circling the planet than ever before, but you never know when you'll need to inspect your roof from space. :D

In Canada, many of those in low orbit may be courtesy of Mr. Musk, whose Starlink internet I am using to send this.

All I can say, despite enjoying star gazing is .... thank you Mr. Musk. I finally have a reliable internet connection at decent speed.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 6:38 pm 

Last winter I saw a sat? Going directly south overhead about 9 in the evening. Looked like a star just cruising along. Another dimmer "star" was following along behind it in line about 5 degrees behind. I got binocs and it still looked like a white dot, no aircraft strobes or lights.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 7:21 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
In Canada, many of those in low orbit may be courtesy of Mr. Musk, whose Starlink internet I am using to send this.

All I can say, despite enjoying star gazing is .... thank you Mr. Musk. I finally have a reliable internet connection at decent speed.

Hi John

What kind of speeds are you actually getting with Starlink?

We've only had broadband down our rural road since 2012. Before that it was satellite.

We started off with Hughesnet. It was advertised at 1 MB down and in reality it was probably 0.9 MB less on a typical night. I called it "Orbital Dial up".

We switched to Viasat when it first came out and that wasn't too bad.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 8:07 pm 

k3msb wrote:
Hi John

We've only had broadband down our rural road since 2012. Before that it was satellite.

We started off with Hughesnet. It was advertised at 1 MB down and in reality it was probably 0.9 MB less on a typical night. I called it "Orbital Dial up".

Ours varies, and when we get really heavy cloud cover it suffers a bit more. I have yet to experience snow, so thatmay be an adventure, although I am told that the dish is heated ... ??

Today was particularly good (see image), but we usually run between 50 and 75 Mbps down load. Compared to the "copper in the ground" DSL that we had, Starlink is glorious !!

Attachment:
speedtest.PNG
speedtest.PNG [ 85.84 KiB | Viewed 476 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 8:11 pm 

Quote:
Then the old is sent up to to the junk yard as they called it.

They ought to be deorbiting them before they run out of deltavee.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 10:14 pm 

You're doing well with that service, John. Here's my wired connectivity. Ample for my needs, but nothing Earthshaking, LOL.

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 33.58 KiB | Viewed 443 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 11:12 pm 

fifties wrote:
You're doing well with that service, John. Here's my wired connectivity. Ample for my needs, but nothing Earthshaking, LOL.

Ours was really trucking along today, but realistically it is more often around the 50 down, 10 up speed. I'm ok with that. With the Bell Canada DSL service we were getting 5-6 at best and under 1 up and it would intermittently drop out. The wires in the ground are old, the population is very low density here and cel phones are replacing landlines in ever increasing numbers, so it wasn't going to see any improvement any time soon.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 11:13 pm 

John, do you have trees in the way, even a little?

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 12:25 am 

Just one more radio wrote:

used to be you would seen one every so often.. :( Maybe when Tulsa up-load's those 10s of thousands in low orbit we will be able to see them during the day flying by. :shock:

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 12:29 am 

jrehkopf wrote:
No, we are completely free of obstructions.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 3:42 am 

k3msb wrote:
John Bartley wrote:

Hi John

I am around 100 down and 20 up with Starlink. The ping seems a little better than John, usually around 30-40 mS. I had Hughes and Viasat and Starlink simply beats the pants off of both. Viasat especially irritated me. For example, they have unlimited data plans but only in areas that have other high speed providers. About 5 miles down the road from me you can get Comcast and so Viasat will sell you unlimited plans. At my location they will only sell you limited plans and the limits making streaming any video essentially impossible.

Like John, for the first time I have decent internet. Pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 1:51 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
jrehkopf wrote:
No, we are completely free of obstructions.

Do obstructions even matter with Starlink? Starlink satellites are in low earth orbit, not in geostationary orbit.

With Hughes and Viasat there was one satellite in geostationary orbit (over the equator) and you needed to have a clear view of the southern sky. In my case I had to have the tree people put a notch in my tree line.

The folks in Canada had a really low elevation angle and the installers told me they had a lot of issues as they needed to "beam" through a lot more atmosphere than people in mid and low latitudes.

Which brings up an interesting question. With (currently) 1600 Starlink satellites where are you antennas pointed? They must have a much larger beam width than Viasat / Hughes as they will need to him different satellites. I would think more "up" then southwards ?

I read that the Starlink satellites have on-board collision avoidance based upon up-linked tracking data.

Say what you will about Elon Musk, but his system is going to bring broadband to a lot of people in rural areas.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 3:32 pm 

I'm quite a fan of Elon Musk even though he runs his mouth before engaging his brain sometimes. I think he's done far more positive things than negative overall. Although, I wouldn't want to work for him. His autobiography is a pretty interesting read.

Semper ubi sub ubi

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 3:36 pm 

k3msb wrote:
With (currently) 1600 Starlink satellites where are you antennas pointed? They must have a much larger beam width than Viasat / Hughes as they will need to him different satellites. I would think more "up" then southwards ?

You are correct. My dish is pointed almost straight up.

cheers

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 4:17 pm 

hwhall wrote:
Quote:
Then the old is sent up to to the junk yard as they called it.

They ought to be deorbiting them before they run out of deltavee.

They do, for satellites in low-Earth orbit.

For satellites in geosynchronous orbits, the delta-V to deorbit them is too high. So they move them to a junkyard parking orbit.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 6:27 pm 

k3msb wrote:

Do obstructions even matter with Starlink? Starlink satellites are in low earth orbit, not in geostationary orbit.

The folks in Canada had a really low elevation angle and the installers told me they had a lot of issues as they needed to "beam" through a lot more atmosphere than people in mid and low latitudes.

Which brings up an interesting question. With (currently) 1600 Starlink satellites where are you antennas pointed? They must have a much larger beam width than Viasat / Hughes as they will need to him different satellites. I would think more "up" then southwards ?

They say that Starlink is susceptible to tree interference. Mine is pointed north and mostly up with zero obstructions. There is more atmosphere for the northern areas right now which probably accounts for John's slightly higher than mine ping times. But SpaceX is launching more satellites destined for the higher latitudes which will help.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next