Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 07, 2022 6:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Homeowner Insurance Rate Increase
PostPosted: May Mon 23, 2022 10:58 pm 

John Bartley wrote:

We had a hail storm about a year ago and withing a few days the mailbox was full of solicitations from companies to come and inspect my roof and get a replacement that insurance would pay for. They probably go up there with a ball peen hammer and make dents. We all pay for this crap with higher rates. It is sickening. We had no damage even to cars that were outside.

PostPosted: May Mon 23, 2022 11:31 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
I live in a development in NE Florida and on my street the houses are 14-16 years old. There was a roof replacement company soliciting here (HOA rules clearly state at the entrance, "NO SOLICITATION" for a new roof and to send in a claim to the insurance company. experience? .........

A claim for what? Insurance is for damage caused by a storm, accident, etc., not for just wearing out. It's hard to see how this happened without a claims adjuster being involved in some kind of chicanery.

RRM

PostPosted: May Wed 25, 2022 2:55 am 

Blustar1 wrote:
Actually, I'm not sure how that company managed to get away with the fraud.
Even when caught, these guys have an easy out - bankruptcy, disappear for a while, new company name, back in the game. :x

As for the hail damage claim, someone with a 20 yr old roof stands a chance to gain a new roof, and probably can handle the higher rate for insurance better than full payment up front.

PostPosted: May Wed 25, 2022 4:46 am 

Arran wrote:
anchorman wrote:
1N770 wrote:

In late 2018 I retired to the PNW. While now out of the hurricane belt, the issues in this part of the country seem to be building fires and landslides. And, keeping an eye on nearby Mt. Hood which is still considered "active" and last erupted in 1865.

Jeff

I'm more worried about the big earthquake that is long overdue there in the Cascadia Subduction Zone. Geological record shows one roughly every 250 years or so for over 10,000 years into the past. the last one was in 1700, so getting past overdue for one. It's not going to be something that insurance companies can save anyone from. https://projects.oregonlive.com/maps/ea ... s/timeline

They use to talk about the next "big one" incessantly in relation to the Vancouver area, but where I am the last major earthquake was in 1946, which is pretty much yesterday, and we have had several tremors, and smaller quakes since. The ones who should worry most are those near sea level, or bellow it.
Regards
Arran

Quakes like the one you've mentioned are different than the offshore, subduction zone quakes. They're two different types of quakes. The 1949 Olympia quake was similar to the 1964 and 2000 Nisqually quakes -- deep quakes that developed inland from the Juan De Fuca subduction zone. The 1949, 1965 and 2001 quakes that hit Western Washington (and were felt as far south as Vancouver and Portland) were 6-7 pointers.

The 300-year quakes that occur in the subduction zone off the coastline are 9+ pointers, and FEMA has said that after one of those, even the I-5 corridor (i.e., most of the highly populated areas of Oregon and Washington) will be adversely affected, with everything west of I-5 being "toast". I've read that Vancouver, BC could also be affected by the offshore quakes, as the subduction zone ends somewhere off Vancouver Island.

Not something to get paranoid about, naturally, but something to keep in mind.

PostPosted: May Wed 25, 2022 7:28 am 

Renton481 wrote:

Why even keep in mind something one has no control over?

PostPosted: May Wed 25, 2022 4:18 pm 

We have no control over when the quakes occur and the severity of the quakes, but do have a great deal of control over what happens when the quakes occur. I know more than a little about it, as my brother is a known and respected seismic / dynamics engineer and my company has inspected many buildings for seismic retrofit projects. The goal of most seismic design and seismic retrofit projects is to reduce damage enough that people survive and are able to exit buildings. However, the buildings may be damaged beyond reasonable cost of repair. For same structures, such as critical computer centers, base isolation and other far more expensive retrofit or initial designs are used. Go to a city such as St. Louis to see large numbers of unreinforced masonry structures which have not been retrofitted.

All kinds of buildings may be hazardous. For example, I've seen all kinds of wood-frame apartment buildings with crawl spaces full of wood posts and very little lateral load resisting features.

The City of Los Angeles is requiring seismic retrofits of soft story apartment buildings, typically those built over carports, with skinny little columns supporting the apartments. However, few in other cities have been retrofitted. Some wise owners in other places have had retrofit work done. Imagine being an owner and getting this call: "an earthquake occurred, your building collapsed, your tenants are dead, and their relatives are suing you."

PostPosted: May Thu 26, 2022 12:56 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Imagine being an owner and getting this call: "an earthquake occurred, your building collapsed, your tenants are dead, and their relatives are suing you."

Oh that's easy to handle the American way...Just pull a BK. :wink:

PostPosted: May Thu 26, 2022 6:20 am 

fifties wrote:
Renton481 wrote:

To ensure that when it hits, you a) have enough food on hand in case there are no stores open for weeks, b) have some sort of plan for heating / cooking / etc., c) have certain items and pieces of furniture in your house battened down so that the inside isn't a complete and utter broken mess...

Things like that. Your average disaster preparation. It doesn't take much. The Boy Scouts used to always have a motto, "Be Prepared". I never was a Boy Scout, but that is a pretty good motto if one has the ability to apply it.

PostPosted: May Thu 26, 2022 7:06 am 

Renton481 wrote:
fifties wrote:
Renton481 wrote:

To ensure that when it hits,

Your average disaster preparation.

I'm a veteran of 4 earthquakes here in So Cal; 1952, 1971, 1988, & 1994, and so far haven't had to consider any of that. I'll take my chances and not be concerned.

PostPosted: May Fri 27, 2022 4:48 am 

fifties wrote:
I'm a veteran of 4 earthquakes here in So Cal; 1952, 1971, 1988, & 1994, and so far haven't had to consider any of that. I'll take my chances and not be concerned.

Understood. I'm a veteran of 3 major 7-point earthquakes and one minor 6-pointer here in the Seattle-Tacoma area.

Just like having tornado shelters in tornado alley, being prepared for natural disasters is simply common sense.

PostPosted: May Fri 27, 2022 12:52 pm 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
Don Cavey wrote:
I live in a development in NE Florida and on my street the houses are 14-16 years old. There was a roof replacement company soliciting here (HOA rules clearly state at the entrance, "NO SOLICITATION" for a new roof and to send in a claim to the insurance company. experience? .........

A claim for what? Insurance is for damage caused by a storm, accident, etc., not for just wearing out. It's hard to see how this happened without a claims adjuster being involved in some kind of chicanery.

RRM

Sounds reasonable... until you look at this.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ro ... -rcna29649

PostPosted: May Fri 27, 2022 2:03 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Don Cavey wrote:
Sounds reasonable... until you look at this.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ro ... -rcna29649

This line :
Quote:
Most of that money goes to the contractors’ lawyers in the form of a “contingency fee multiplier.” Some lawyers file hundreds of such lawsuits a year.
should raise the warning flags.

Lawyers who take on these case should know that what they are doing is supporting the chain of events that began with a fraudulent claim. Their cases and fees should be examined (at their expense) and if found to be part of one of those chains, should be disallowed, seized and refunded to the customers.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 52 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3