Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 22, 2019 4:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What temp is your AC this week?
PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 1:26 am 

The outside here in North Jersey this week has been about 99 F

For some reason I noticed that my AC was set quite low at 74 for recent cpl weeks... but it didn't seem necessary in this heat wave.
So I raised it to 76 and later to 77.... and it's ok.
A little 100yr old antique oscillating fan set at very low speed helps to just keep the air moving nicely, so a setting of 77F seems to be working for me.
Attachment:
old fan.jpg
old fan.jpg [ 193.49 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]

Last edited by Pbpix on Jul Mon 22, 2019 6:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: What temp is your AC this week?
PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 1:58 am 

Its hot as hell. The window units are on High.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 2:15 am 

67° :wink:

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 2:24 am 

My wife likes 77. When she is gone I turn it up to 79 or 80.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 2:27 am 

AC set to 78. a few 12" vintage oscillating fans to blow the air around.

it is quite comfortable as compared to 96 degrees, 75 dew point, and 87% humidity outside.

steve

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 2:41 am 

79 to 80 here.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 2:52 am 

It is 80 degrees in my house and I have the window open as I don't have air conditioning.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 2:54 am 

Yeah, we had those temps a few days back. Today the A.C. isn't running. OAT is 75 and supposed to stay that way all this next week.
I'm not complaining.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 3:09 am 

set at 80, running enough to keep the house dehumidified, thus cool feeling.
But, I'm frugal that way, and use the AEP efficiency report to monitor my usage.

Attachments:
AEP report.png
AEP report.png [ 158.55 KiB | Viewed 149 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 3:18 am 

glue_ru wrote:
set at 80, running enough to keep the house dehumidified, thus cool feeling.
But, I'm frugal that way, and use the AEP efficiency report to monitor my usage.

That energy statistic thing is pretty cool, wish our utility company had something like that. I built my house 4 years ago, insulated the crap outta it, 30" in the ceiling :shock: . My insulation guy thought I was nutz (though I may be), but I only run the AC at nite, roughly 6-8 hours and the house stays cool all day. Well worth the extra couple hundred bucks in insulation materials.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 4:12 am 

I'm super insulated here as well, my gas heating bills also look like that, Columbia Gas also provides efficiency reports to us here.
Attic is heavy layered insulation from last owner, I had the walls blown in with insulation, new vinyl siding with a 1" Styrofoam sheeting under that,
new energy efficient windows and front door, and run LED bulbs now, CFL's since 2000 or so, don't trust them now, too cheaply made and seen many
base ballasts appear to have been on fire, or "scorched" one may say. And my AC and furnace units are not efficient rated, 1992 installed, but that
is on the list of upgrades to do next, should show even more saving. Window blind control blocking sunlight in summer and letting it in during winter for free heat, and light control help tremendously.
I run a 50" plasma TV most of the day, two PC's with large monitors, fridge at 36 degrees, two outside lights on with photo cells, on all night, and one inside the kitchen, also low wattage LED's.
The biggest difference was the upstairs return air vent, there is one in the hallway. Was at the floor, a 4x12 inch, so the upstairs was out of balance, and the thermostat is up there, closed that up and at moved it up to the top of the stud bay, installed a 16x18 inch return vent, as high and close to the ceiling i could get it. THAT, made the difference in my air system working better. Recycles warm air in winter and removes hot air in summer. Multi-level with 3 BR's and 1 full bath up on that level. And run a programmable thermostat, a cheap $40 Hunter model.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 4:44 am 

Had our house custom built 27 years ago, single story, 120 feet long, two four ton A/C units, one on each side. The roof is composed of two piece clay tiles, and I have a ten foot overhang on the southern exposure, across most of the front. I've only had the A/C -on this side- operate a few days so far this year, set to 78-79, in the late afternoon or early evening.

The weather here hasn't yet hit triple digits, but it eventually will; August is always the hottest month, and that's when the electric bill goes up.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 5:02 am 

78F

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 5:37 am 

We ran them one day last week. We have ceiling fans and big windows, and it cools-off at night. You-all cooking in the Midwest, South and East are welcome to come enjoy coastal southern California.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 6:24 am 

I set my temp up to 77 from 74 not because I'm trying save bucks .. but I know everyone has the AC on and I'm trying to kinda do my part of not overloading the grid.
Can't imagine what it would be like if the power was out for several days or more...lol
How the heck did I ever live in the 40-50s when we had NO air-conditioning in our houses or cars...??
I remember how hot my bedroom was on the 2nd floor as a kid... and those long 2-3 hour... hot car rides to the Jersey shore in my father's new 1952 Pontiac Chieftian with leather seats... what hot holy hell.
..and worse Sunday evening driving back home from the shore, sitting in traffic for hours, after I was all sunburned and sand in my hair and crotch and car sick and smelling those leather seats... Only to get home and have to sleep in a hot bedroom too... yikes.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 7:40 am 

As a NJ person too, we've had some very hot days too here in central Jersey.
I generally keep the AC temp set to around 82; the humidifier is always engaged (during the humid days can draw around 2 gallons of water per day out of the house air), I generally run several fans around the house to keep the air moving around, and the blinds are generally closed on windows facing the sun.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 8:50 am 

Pbpix wrote:
How the heck did I ever live in the 40-50s when we had NO air-conditioning in our houses or cars...??
I remember how hot my bedroom was on the 2nd floor as a kid..

me too, an old Victorian House. We opened windows at night and closed them in the morning, the house did stay cool most of the day.
tall ceilings kept the hot air up. Works until 24 hour a day heat, then it just builds up. 7 1/2 and 8 foot ceiling now don't allow that as much.
But when the nights are cool and hot days, this does work. I close up the house in the morning and it will stay cool until late afternoon then the AC
kicks in. Again smart air/window management, open windows let in hot air, so keep them closed and keep the cool air trapped inside.
Late July and Aug that doesn't work as well. Mom was a frugal smart lady who knew how old houses worked and knew why they had 10-11 foot ceilings.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 10:04 am 

Gawldanged dagflabbed one of those drafty motel PTACs. "Digital" thermo but the unit itself doesn't pay a whole lot of attention to ambient so I have to chase comfort vs. OAT. According to my 3 weatherstations, 77F feels about right. 80's OK if I'm not doing anything and the sun is not on the window.

Old Hawaii boy, rather do without air but in DFW that's just not in the cards.