Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 10, 2019 10:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jack pine Radios Amp-Jack tubed a year later.
PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 8:21 pm 

In case anyone has been thinking of buying one of these, I thought I'd give my .02 after having owned, and used on for nearly a year.
The Amp-Jack (tubed) works well. Volume and audio quality seem heavily dependent on what device you drive it with. Also, dependent on what website you are using (if streaming music) and how the music was recorded. The device used, however, seems to give the greatest variation in performance. My IPad gives low volume. My laptop is even worse. My IPhone gives good enough volume. Good enough for troubleshooting 1920's speakers and maximizing the drivers in them. I mostly use mine when I get a new speaker for testing. It is very useful if trying to re-magnetise the drivers with small, rare earth magnets.
I get what I'll call, low end medium volume with excellently performing speakers. I've never heard the standard Amp-jack, but without the extra amplification volume must be fairly low. A weak speaker, like my Atwater Kent model-h with original driver is barely audible. The same speaker on a good radio gives low end medium volume. My newly acquired Orchestrion horn gives low medium volume with the amp-jack and the IPhone, however with volume all the way up, the audio is rattly. I assumed the driver had issues. After running the same speaker on a radio I got full, good quality volume. Not sure what the deal is there.
Overall I am happy with my purchase. It makes speaker work much easier. It's also useful when boring people with my radio collection for demonstrating the different 1920's vintage speakers.
Your mileage may vary based on equipment used to drive it, and speakers driven with it.
I hope some will find my experience with this device useful.

Post subject: Re: Jack pine Radios Amp-Jack tubed a year later.
PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 9:20 pm 

I guess this is what you're talking about:

https://sites.google.com/site/jackpiner ... jack-tubed

Seems like a simple AA5 type output transformer used in reverse would do the same thing.

Dave

Post subject: Re: Jack pine Radios Amp-Jack tubed a year later.
PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 11:22 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
Seems like a simple AA5 type output transformer used in reverse would do the same thing.

But then you are missing out on the warm, vintage tube tones audiophiles prefer to hear thru their vintage 1920's horns :roll:

I am glad the OP has put his to good use and is happy with it.