Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 20, 2019 4:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaking Of Newbies...
PostPosted: Sep Sat 26, 2015 4:58 pm 

In many posts here on ARF "newbies" are mentioned...in various contexts...usually their questions and concerns are addressed with tact and understanding.

Here is a humbling experience:
In the upper right corner of each forum page there is a "VIEW YOUR POSTS" link. Go back in time and view your earliest postings... Can't believe how little I knew back then. I have to say that I was always treated kindly by the "old timers" that were around .

Where have the years gone...

Post subject: Re: Speaking Of Newbies...
PostPosted: Sep Sun 27, 2015 6:34 am 

Hmm, my time machine is malfunctioning. I can only go back to 2002 or 2003, though I joined in 1998 or thereabouts, when I was seeking schematics to repair my Zenith 9S262 shutterdial. Something like 2000 or more of my "early" posts were lost in one of the botchy forum or server upgrades and the entire early photo archives as well. The earliest I can search on you go back to only 2005, so again 1000 or more of your posts prior to that do not come up, for me at least.

As I recall those halcyon days of ARF from late in the last century, many newbie posts were left wanting for a single reply, newcomers and their requests for info or price values were often more or less ignored. I kinda made it my personal mission to post something to those who had waited several days or a week for any help, even if all I could offer was just a guess or even outright wrong. Same as now, any incorrect reply soon got many responses from the great masters to point that error out to me. Knowing that would happen, I posted anyway, and the newbie got the info they were seeking, lol!

Maybe these early threads are still stored somewhere in the dark archives of ARF, but just clicking on "View your posts" won't bring them up for me.

-Ed

PostPosted: Sep Sun 27, 2015 8:27 am 

I also try to give a reply to those posts that go unanswered, especially to new posters. I can't say that I have always been tactful though. To be honest, I have lost patience with some who seem to be slow in learning (or even willfully NOT listening to good advice).

It's probably a good thing that, long ago, I made the decision to never have children.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 27, 2015 12:24 pm 

Quote:
It's probably a good thing that, long ago, I made the decision to never have children.

Some forum posters and children are two different animals. Children can be great. :)

http://www.southwestwoodcrafts.com

PostPosted: Sep Sun 27, 2015 2:05 pm 

I just "quit" a radio related site that is having issues with rude obnoxious types. Seems to be rather lightly moderated, if at all. Looking at one particular character's profile on there, from what he posted, he ought not be welcome on any forums. I have looked at some no reply newbie posts on here, and I am at a total loss to advise them of anything, given the information in the posting.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 28, 2015 8:49 am 

I just checked my "intro" message. It was September 28, 2006. Dang, it's my 9th anniversary!

Of course I did not join as a newbie; I migrated from RAR+P, as did many others. I joined RAR+P 20 years ago, when Windows 95 was being beta-tested. I had an advance beta copy and this allowed me to go onto the new MSN -- Microsoft Network, which got me onto the internet for the first time. I could not get on the web, but had e-mail and the ability to go to USENET. It was there I found RAR+P.

All of this was right around the time I found out about a local swap meet in Bradenton, which is now the Sarasota Radio Meet.

Of course, before internet access there were BBS's, some of them with networks but none that I recall with radio interests. However it indeed kept me in touch with locals. As for tinkering with radios, this goes way back when I was growing up in the DC area. So you could say I've been around the block once or twice.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 28, 2015 9:20 am 

I joined in 1969...

< Says right there under my nic...

It was before the internet, so we used smoke signals... :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Mon 28, 2015 11:31 am 

Fifties, if you were at UCLA in 1969, you could have witnessed the first message sent on the ARPANET, which was the seed of what is now the Internet we use today. :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Mon 28, 2015 11:57 am 

But did in run on tubes or transistors?.....;)

Just went back and looked at my first post--just over 5 years ago. I was talking about my mid-30s Bush (British), and I also listed everything in my budding collection. Most of them are still unfinished, and I now do not even know how many sets I own.

One early post mentions my quest for another example of my Packard-Bell 47M----so, it's been at least 5 years since I got it, and still no evidence of another one---anywhere. This one is actually almost done.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 28, 2015 1:52 pm 

My first post was April 1st, 2012. In one of my early posts, I said I bought a radio with a tuning eye, which I thought was very cool.

More recently, I've said tuning eyes seem like a liability to buyers, because radios that have them cost more to buy, and more to retube. :D

Counting through radios in my collection, I think I'm about even between radios whose tuning indicators are eye tubes, and radios whose tuning indicators are other devices such as shadow meters, saturable reactors driving dial lamps, actual meters, and so forth. My favorites today are the dial lamp tricks, like GE's Colorama, and Midwest's Tun-a-lite.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 28, 2015 4:22 pm 

I know my first post here on ARF was in January 2010.

I kinda burst onto the scene with a pic of my 1000Z with a fox in the speaker area instead if a cat. :wink:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Mon 28, 2015 6:28 pm 

One of my first posts in 2004 was asking why nobody included pictures with their posts. I included a picture of one of my first antique finds, a Bosch 515.

A few answers... :lol:

That radio looks excellent but there is a special area for just posting photos. Photos with posts are ok occasionally,but if most postings included photos it would slow down things a lot for those with dial up connections and it would take forever to read all the postings in one Forum dept.

Sorry Malcolm, but I don’t agree. Posting Photos is a much better way to explain something.

I too would like to post more pics and see others do the same.

I too agree, a picture really helps to make a point.

Post subject: A picture is worth a thousand words.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36290