Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sun 16, 2020 8:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: KQV going off the Air 1410 Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 3:36 am 

I don't know why all of you are bashing the current owners. The explanation is in the report, and is spot on:

"The news format, due to the salary costs of the necessary number of reporters, editors and announcers involved, is much more costly than music programming on radio, Mr. Dickey said. At the same time, the media industry in general has been suffering from a drop in advertising by major retailers and others"

This ain't the 1960s, folks. The top 40 format for breaking NEW music has been dead for a long time. This is (was) an original three letter station that didn't sell out to a monster conglomerate. Ultimately a business runs on dollars.

The best that could be hoped for would probably be an oldies station with very low overhead.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 3:57 am 

I thought it was pretty ridiculous when CINW in Montreal went off the air in January of 2010. I really did think that big-name station in a large market owned by a big-name company (Corus Entertainment) going dark altogether without even being sold was a very sad state of affairs. It's very upsetting to see that this story may repeat itself with another big name in broadcasting. KQV of course is not a small town station with a small listener base. It's a sad state of affairs when there's nothing that can be done to make a go of what should be a very successful niche format in what is a sufficiently large market. Without going in to specifics, I admire Mr. Dickey's tireless efforts to not cheapen out the on air product, but I don't accept the fact that it's an AM station as a valid reason for not being able to make a go of it. Just look at Toronto's 680 News, Calgary's 660 News, Vancouver's 1130 News, LA's KNX and New York City's WCBS and 1010 WINS amongst a few others as examples. Is there anything I might be missing here?

PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 5:43 am 

Primitiveradiogod wrote:
I don't know why all of you are bashing the current owners. The explanation is in the report, and is spot on:

Favorite ARF pastime...

PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 6:10 am 

Mikon8er wrote:
Just look at Toronto's 680 News, Calgary's 660 News, Vancouver's 1130 News, LA's KNX and New York City's WCBS and 1010 WINS amongst a few others as examples. Is there anything I might be missing here?

KCBS/740/San Francisco..."All news, all the time".

PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 6:12 am 

35Z5 wrote:
Primitiveradiogod wrote:

Favorite ARF pastime...

I'll have you know that we are equal opportunity bashers...Everything and anyone... :wink:

PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 2:45 pm 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
WWSW (3Ws) FM 94.5 is an Iheart Radio station.

WWSW has a fantastic playlist from the 70's thru 80's, but the amount of commercials are just out of sight.

WDVE plays the same songs, the morning show is all "yack", and the commercials there are out of control too.

i've listened to both stations for a few days this summer when i spent time in pgh.

i'm glad to have my whole house sound system piping my thousands of songs thru the ceiling speakers and not having to listen to any commercials.

as for TV and FM radio here, forget it, for many reasons.

thankfully and by the mercy of god, i get nice AM music stations that have little to a normal amount of commercials for my vintage sets.

steve

I take it you cannot receive WRDV on FM from where you are located?

Primitiveradiogod wrote:

"The news format, due to the salary costs of the necessary number of reporters, editors and announcers involved, is much more costly than music programming on radio, Mr. Dickey said. At the same time, the media industry in general has been suffering from a drop in advertising by major retailers and others"

This ain't the 1960s, folks. The top 40 format for breaking NEW music has been dead for a long time. This is (was) an original three letter station that didn't sell out to a monster conglomerate. Ultimately a business runs on dollars.

The best that could be hoped for would probably be an oldies station with very low overhead.

An oldies station would be nice.

They could even do listener supported like WGVU does with their oldies station.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 8:04 pm 

35Z5 wrote:
Sparksalot wrote:

There's a ton of alternatives but it smells like Junior wants a quick buck to retire and
live in wealth.

If I had anything worth real $$$$ I'd do same...

fifties wrote:
Well now I've learned something new; I had always thought that KDKA was the only station east of the Mississippi to have an initial "K" at the beginning of the call sign, and now I see that there are actually several more.

Also several W stations west of Mississippi, WHO in Des Moines & WOI in Ames IA come to mind...

WIBW in Topeka and WREN (formerly in Topeka). WHB in Kansas City.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 8:45 pm 

We just lost our local oldies station, 1500 WGHT. I thought it was great, but I guess there just weren't enough listeners.

http://www.northjersey.com/story/news/p ... 950805001/

PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 9:13 pm 

Ken Doyle wrote:
We just lost our local oldies station, 1500 WGHT. I thought it was great, but I guess there just weren't enough listeners.

http://www.northjersey.com/story/news/p ... 950805001/

In August WGH in Newport News switched from gospel back to oldies... They've been around since 1928...

PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 9:39 pm 

Art Hoch wrote:
fifties wrote:
Also several W stations west of Mississippi, WHO in Des Moines & WOI in Ames IA come to mind...

WIBW in Topeka and WREN (formerly in Topeka). WHB in Kansas City.

There are more, two I can think of, WNAX, Yankton, SD, WOAI, San Antonio, TX. Lost calls, WOW, Omaha, NE, WDAF, Kansas City, MO.

Rules would be no fun without exceptions. :lol:

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 1:00 am 

No doubt more exceptions than one might think, MO has eight W call stations... Three being three letter stations...

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 1:15 am 

Here's a good link, explains why there are exceptions (I didn't know this either)..

http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 5:02 am 

From 35Z5's link;

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 5:35 am 

KNX 1070, is not going dark but has been sold. I hope the new owners don't change the format, because I like listening to the traffic reports sometimes 'every five minutes.'

I spent decades driving ( or rather being stuck going at a snails pace) on all the freeways. Now that I live in a rural area in Maui, I can get a pretty good signal, about S7 to S9+ from about 8 PM. to 4 AM. The reason I think all these long established stations are being sold or going off the air is because the money guys don't see a future
for MW, and consider now to be the top of the market, with nothing in the future but falling returns on their investment.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... story.html

( “For advertisers, radio is just not sexy any more,” said Adam Jacobson, a radio industry consultant and analyst.")

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 7:18 am 

Monitor Radio Discussions .They will have the scoop on KQV.

https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showth ... ter-Dec-31

Not on topic but info on KNX 1070

https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showth ... S-93-1-HD2

Both thread probably pickup more traction as time goes by.

BTW.Got to watch these stations that play 24/7 Christmas music.Sometimes they go to another format after that.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 1:08 pm 

Story from Fybush: https://www.fybush.com/nerw-20171218/

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 5:11 pm 

Thanks Jeff.Scott's website is great on radio info.Sad to say some other stations will follow.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 7:20 pm 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
Tim Tress wrote:
Many family businesses have been run into the ground by "Junior".

that is so true.

i'm sorry to see them go as well.

almost as iconic to pgh as KDKA.

what's next, another icon like WDVE or 3WS FM ?

steve

Except for people losing their jobs, it wouldn't bother me one bit for WDVE, 3WS, the Pickle, Froggy, and the majority of the other major stations in the area to go completely away. They all play a pathetically small selection of songs over and over, to the point where you can't stand to hear them anymore, not to mention all the advertising. If you listen to them for one day, you've already heard literally everything that they play, probably multiple times. If that's the best they can do, good riddance to all of them. :evil:

Between my records, tapes, files on my hard drive, Youtube, and Spotify, there is more music there than I could possibly want to listen to in several lifetimes. :wink:

PostPosted: Dec Wed 20, 2017 5:23 am 

fifties wrote:
Well now I've learned something new; I had always thought that KDKA was the only station east of the Mississippi to have an initial "K" at the beginning of the call sign, and now I see that there are actually several more.

There are many W/K exceptions on both sides of the Mississipp but the grand daddy
of them all in my humble opinion is WWV in Ft. Collins, Colorado (which
started out in Beltsville, Maryland. Interestingly time / frequency station WWV not only went on the air
before KDKA but actually started ouot as a commercial broadcast station serving Washington DC
with concert broadcasts. And how about WWVH even farther west of the Mississippi out there in the
"Sandwich Islands?"

PostPosted: Dec Wed 20, 2017 5:53 am 

Too bad for the people who enjoyed the station. Hopefully, a new owner will keep it on the air.

WPPCProductions wrote:
Tim Tress wrote:
Many family businesses have been run into the ground by "Junior".

I've work for a few that did ruin their family business.
For too many, it is almost a curse to be born into wealth.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 56 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next