Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Tue 25, 2020 12:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: KQV going off the Air 1410 Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Dec Wed 20, 2017 6:16 am 

With all the disappearing stations with the 3 call letters.WSM Nashville is still alive.We can say thanks to the Grand Ole Opry that WSM still broadcasting for 90 plus years.If there was no Opry .WSM probably would be gone along time ago.
It was sad the see 1050 WHN in NYC go in 1988 when they drop the calls and retired them as they become WFAN sports radio.WYNY FM filled the country music void in NYC for alittlebit.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 20, 2017 7:33 am 

We still have the original 3 in Los Angeles;
KFI/640
KHJ/930
KNX/1070

PostPosted: Dec Wed 20, 2017 8:44 am 

fifties wrote:
KFI/640
KHJ/930
KNX/1070

Yes .Legendary stations.Listen to some of their streams at times.Hopeful they will stay on the air for a long while.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 20, 2017 10:25 am 

WPPCProductions wrote:
fifties wrote:
KFI/640
KHJ/930
KNX/1070

Yes .Legendary stations.Listen to some of their streams at times.Hopeful they will stay on the air for a long while.

KFI with talk radio, and KNX with all news seem to be solidly entrenched, but ya just never know. Both are 50K blowtorches. KHJ tanked, and is now a Spanish language station. 5K watts.

KWKW/1330 used to be the only local station with that orientation, but now near every local station above 1260 kilocycles seems to be either Spanish or Oriental (Korean/Chinese) to 1600.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 10:53 am 

KQV is coming back: http://triblive.com/local/regional/1325 ... ack-on-air

BR,

Terry

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 3:32 pm 

Terry, Thank you for posting this. Long live BCI and I hope only the best of
success.

Did I read that article correctly? They bought it for less than you pay for some
pick-up trucks?

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 4:07 pm 

I expected that. It's nice to see them going back on the air; they got it for a bargain price!

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 6:37 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
they got it for a bargain price!

Big time! About the price of a new somewhat luxury car!

Since about half the new owner's stations have a talk/oldies format, if they follow the same formula with this station, it may be worth listening to when they play actual music.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 7:17 pm 

Thanks for the neat map showing the K and W call signs on either side of the Mississippi dividing line. Very interesting.

The disappearance of the radio stations is but one sign of the changing times. You have probably noticed that the Malls in this country are falling on hard times. Many have lost their flagship stores and one by one the others simply vanish. Remember when the malls spelled the death knell of the stores in the downtown? We were a more mobile community and the malls came out to meet the suburbs and no one wanted to ride the buses downtown or to drive in the traffic and search for parking downtown.

Now the Millennials or whatever don't want to go to the malls and prefer to shop on line! Amazon and other retailers are booming and the conventional malls are suffering. It isn't going to happen overnight as Best Buy and Target and a lot of the other retailers will prosper, at least in the short term, but the handwriting is on the wall. The Internet is impacting us all, eBay has changed radio collecting hasn't it? Well the scope of change is much greater than that.

My generation is still shopping. May daughter gets a large quantity of stuff from Amazon and others. She is 50 and the younger ones are doing more of it.

They say cable is in trouble, satellite too. The Millennials are streaming via the Internet and getting their shows there. I just bought a firestick, and I still have DirecTv, but the future is rapidly heading toward Internet provided entertainment.

I don't listen to AM radio anymore. Where I live it is mostly all country, with some hip hop/rap/hard rock, but mostly country. I have had my fill of pick up trucks, prison, cheating women and all the hardships that this country music has and they mostly sound the same. I like the older country, some of it, Don Gibson, Johnny Cash, etc. Which just goes to show I am an old fart! So the newer generations don't want to hear this music or Rush's ranting or other talk radio dribble on AM. I am in central Florida at the moment and a quick sample of AM radio here showed 5 of 6 AM stations in one part of the dial were Spanish.

FM radio is going to take the hit too, and not to far past AM radio. One of the Scandinavian countries recently pulled the plug on FM. When I travel I listen to XM radio and I can grove in the 40s/50s/60s/70s/Escape all the way across the country.

The only thing constant is change itself, and most of us don't like the change. Oh some of it we embrace, but the technological, economical, political and all other change can be painful.

My question is: Who will enjoy my old radios 50 years from now and will there be anything to listen to on them, or will they be static displays at best?

Bah Humbug!

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 7:31 pm 

Joezenithman wrote:
The disappearance of the radio stations is but one sign of the changing times. You have probably noticed that the Malls in this country are falling on hard times. Many have lost their flagship stores and one by one the others simply vanish.

Now the Millennials or whatever don't want to go to the malls and prefer to shop on line!

Like real estate and politics, I believe that this is really a local phenomenon. You can't find parking at the local mall during the day, and it's almost as hard at night, because of the restaurants.
At least they put in several parking structures to augment their huge parking lots. Most of the shoppers and diners appear to be youngsters (under 40).

Joezenithman wrote:
They say cable is in trouble, satellite too. The Millennials are streaming via the Internet and getting their shows there. I just bought a firestick, and I still have DirecTv, but the future is rapidly heading toward Internet provided entertainment.

Yes, but who provides that internet? I have to rely on cable for it, and I imagine a large part of the country does as well.

Joezenithman wrote:
My question is: Who will enjoy my old radios 50 years from now and will there be anything to listen to on them, or will they be static displays at best?

Even if they are static displays, they will survive as period pieces, and outlive us. Can you imagine telling someone in the 1930's that the console or table set they use will still be in use and functioning 80 years later?

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 8:07 pm 

Joezenithman wrote:

My take on that is this. When I'm dead and gone it won't really matter anymore to me what happens to my radios.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 2:59 am 

It's been announced that there is a buyer for KQV, the sale is in the early stages to a company that owns a few other Pittsburgh area AM stations. It will be interesting to see what format is reincarnates with !

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 4:00 am 

We had great AM stations here in the Detroit that played great music in the 50's through 70's, Keener 13, CKLW to name couple of the bigger ones back then.

"My take on that is this. When I'm dead and gone it won't really matter anymore to me what happens to my radios."

I'll care what happens to my radios even after I have passed and am working on a plan to see that they survive and serve a purpose. I'd like to think that all of us who care about these old radios are preserving a small piece of history.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 4:11 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
I'll care what happens to my radios even after I have passed and am working on a plan to see that they survive and serve a purpose. I'd like to think that all of us who care about these old radios are preserving a small piece of history.

I tend to agree, but I won't be around to know if any plan put in place is followed or not.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 3:50 am 

fifties wrote:
... a local phenomenon. You can't find parking at the local mall during the day, and it's almost as hard at night, because of the restaurants. At least they put in several parking structures to augment their huge parking lots. Most of the shoppers and diners appear to be youngsters (under 40).
At a multi-day shopping center convention last year, I learned that there are numerous very busy and very profitable malls, but they are the best, and the smart ones know that the restaurants and other entertainment are extremely important.

By the way, the top selling mall in the USA is the Bal Harbour Shops in Florida, with an enormous sales volume over $3,000 per square foot! The number two mall is in Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 10:04 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
I expected that. It's nice to see them going back on the air; they got it for a bargain price!

Agreed!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 56 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3