Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 27, 2019 9:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting museum deaccessioning story
PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 12:30 am 

Today I and other staff members visited a nearby museum to see their new $23 million facility. They had moved from their old place and part of that move included the deaccessioning of over 1200 items that did not fit the mission of their museum or were in poor condition, missing parts, duplicates, etc. After the Board of Directors approved the deaccessioning, the next step is to find new homes for these items. But before anything can be sent to auction, a thorough attempt must be made to find other museums that want any of these things, for free of course. They set up a temporary website with pictures and descriptions of everything. Then they set about finding museums whose missions might fit the items. So for the military stuff, for example, they got the emails of a bunch of military museums. And so forth. All of these places them received an email with instructions on how to view the items and if anyone was interested, there was a form to be downloaded and filled out. Just wanting it, is not a valid reason. For example, a lot of places might "want" a sterling silver tea set made by Tiffany in New York :lol: . There must be a compelling reason. (This is where it gets interesting, IMO. I'm sure they'd rather have the money for it from an auction, for the tea set example.) At any rate, they said about 20% of the stuff made its way to other museums. There was, of course, a lot of crap. Like no bid stuff at auction. This is a staff labor intensive process that can be avoided if only donations are accepted after a lot of consideration. But when you have been around for a hundred years, there is a lot of stuff that should not have been accepted in the first place. A stuffed head of a 2 headed calf, comes to mind. This process took years. The new place is incredible. The longest rolling compact storage units that I've ever seen. Everything done properly. State of the art climate control. All very impressive. I was scolded for resting my arm on an artifact :oops:

Post subject: Re: Interesting museum deaccessioning story
PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 1:16 am 

SO where you gonna hang the two-headed calf?

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 1:59 am 

we have a lot of " why did we accept that?" stuff in our railroad museum.

Some of our old timers think we need to save every tie and piece of rusty streetcar rail they dug out during recent road construction.

we even have a prosthetic arm from early 1900's where a railroader had lost his arm in an accident.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 2:58 am 

DKinYORKpa wrote:
A stuffed head of a 2 headed calf
simplex1040 wrote:
a prosthetic arm from early 1900's where a railroader had lost his arm in an accident
I could totally hook you guys up with buyers for that stuff. Don't expect a lot for the two-headed calf, though. They're kinda common.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 3:48 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Tim Mullen wrote:
Don't expect a lot for the two-headed calf, though. They're kinda common.
Unless it's the one for which Mickey Mouse's Sorcerer had to leave out of town to change back into a stewing pot for an old lady - which is how he got in over his head in the first place.

Disneyana people would buy that and probably pay a pretty penny for it too.
Listen to Winnie-the-Pooh (or Kaa from The Jungle Book etc) tell you all about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT5ko6-vluc

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 9:53 am 

Please forgive me if I've strayed off topic...

They built a new public library in San Francisco, which was the same square area as the old one, with the addition that the new building,would have an atrium, which diminished the amount of books it could hold. Also, they allowed people to search the stacks ( unselved books) in the old building, they now no longer allow anyone into the stacks in the new building. They also got rid of about 100,000 books as well. So much for history.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 1:01 pm 

rattusrattus wrote:
Please forgive me if I've strayed off topic...

They built a new public library in San Francisco, which was the same square area as the old one, with the addition that the new building,would have an atrium, which diminished the amount of books it could hold. Also, they allowed people to search the stacks ( unselved books) in the old building, they now no longer allow anyone into the stacks in the new building. They also got rid of about 100,000 books as well. So much for history.

But I bet it looks a lot fancier and more contemporary, doesn't it? And doubtless cost a small fortune to build, too... :roll:

I hate to hear about this kind of thing happening, but those who planned it are doubtless happy with their work based on appearance, even at the cost of a reduction in what a library is actually supposed to be.

-Pat

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 10:05 pm 

In today's "yuppified" world, appearance is everything, even if it doesn't function as well as something older.