Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 14, 2019 4:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Car Tool Kits and Spare Tires
PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 6:47 pm 

An AAA card and/or manufacturer's roadside assistance plan are also rather handy. The AAA card is basically free if you just use it a few times to obtain hotel discounts.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 7:49 pm 

AAA is a nice thing to have. My wife and I do have AAA and have used it. Latest use of it was to transport her deer stricken car from our garage to my chosen body shop. previous to that we had it towed from the strike site to our garage to keep it safe until we knew what we were going to do with it.
Once, my wife was in the Cities visiting her sister. Having just started out from her sisters, she was driving west on I-694 when she noticed that the gas gauge was visibly dropping toward empty. She called me on her cell phone. I told her to get off the highway at the very next exit and stop at the first safe place to stop and shut the car off.
She did as I asked, for once. She opened the hood and the entire engine compartment was covered in gasoline.
I'm here, she's there. If I were there I would have had it fixed in a New York minute. But I wasn't there. She called AAA and they brought it to my shop in Litchfield where I fixed it and all was well.

For her, all the tools in the world wouldn't have done her any good. She is VERY good with a hammer, and a butchers knife. That's about it.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 7:54 pm 

I had AAA for while. Used it twice and it was useless. Not worth the money for me.

Only needed one tow in the last 20 years. Was expensive but cheaper than AAA's overpriced service.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 7:54 pm 

Mark D wrote:
She is VERY good with a hammer, and a butchers knife. That's about it.

As long as you're not her target, Mark old boy... :wink:

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 8:26 pm 

Mark D wrote:
AAA is a nice thing to have. My wife and I do have AAA and have used it. Latest use of it was to transport her deer stricken car from our garage to my chosen body shop. previous to that we had it towed from the strike site to our garage to keep it safe until we knew what we were going to do with it.
Once, my wife was in the Cities visiting her sister. Having just started out from her sisters, she was driving west on I-694 when she noticed that the gas gauge was visibly dropping toward empty. She called me on her cell phone. I told her to get off the highway at the very next exit and stop at the first safe place to stop and shut the car off.
She did as I asked, for once. She opened the hood and the entire engine compartment was covered in gasoline.
I'm here, she's there. If I were there I would have had it fixed in a New York minute. But I wasn't there. She called AAA and they brought it to my shop in Litchfield where I fixed it and all was well.

For her, all the tools in the world wouldn't have done her any good. She is VERY good with a hammer, and a butchers knife. That's about it.

Mark D.

My good friend had a fuel line start leaking badly in his Isuzu Trooper. He called AAA, and once he told them it was leaking gas, they told him that they wouldn't come get it without getting the fire department involved. :shock: He told them never mind, :roll: and called me to come with a tow strap since he wasn't that far from home.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 8:52 pm 

I live in the Atlanta area. I'll stick with the cell and AAA card. There is not enough room alongside the arterial interstates to perform any repairs that would warrant a tool kit. Each morning there are reports about folks getting hit, sometimes even without getting on the road. When My vehicle failed, there was just enough room to clear the roadway by about maybe a foot with vehicles passing at 70 mph. If I lived in a rural area, I would prepare for that. People have different circumstances to deal with. This worked best for me.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 10:21 pm 

SHenion wrote:
I had AAA for while. Used it twice and it was useless. Not worth the money for me.

Only needed one tow in the last 20 years. Was expensive but cheaper than AAA's overpriced service.

Over the long haul we've saved money by having AAA do the towing. They don't charge for the towing, just the membership, as you know but others might not. They do sort of screw the towing companies and many of them leave AAA in their rear view mirror after a while. I tend to tip the wrecker driver. Most years our membership fee is just gone, but it keeps the wife happy.
19&41 wrote:

I live in the Atlanta area. I'll stick with the cell and AAA card. There is not enough room alongside the arterial interstates to perform any repairs that would warrant a tool kit. Each morning there are reports about folks getting hit, sometimes even without getting on the road. When My vehicle failed, there was just enough room to clear the roadway by about maybe a foot with vehicles passing at 70 mph. If I lived in a rural area, I would prepare for that. People have different circumstances to deal with. This worked best for me.

That's why my wife pulled off the freeway.

If you can't pull off the freeway, like the old girl doesn't go anymore, best to coast way off the road as far away from traffic as possible and stay in the car until eight hours, or days, later when a cop happens to spot you there. Of course, with a cell phone you can call for a tow... that's when AAA is nice to have. Actually, I don't use them for anything else.

My wife was the instigator for buying our first Cadillac. Just after we bought the car, she decided to drive down to the larger town from us, Hutchinson, with a friend to see a chick flick and dinner. She called me up when the car wouldn't start. We didn't have AAA...yet. Some guy came along and offered to get AAA out there with his card. An AAA sponsored wrecker showed up minutes later and towed the car to my shop. I spent about a half hour trying to figure out why the starter would not spin to start the engine. Finally I found a hidden switch that a previous owner must have installed. It was hidden in plain sight.

Under the steering column and in a place where a careless foot can accidentally switch it to OFF. Hence, it wouldn't start.
That got my wife interested in AAA and she won't go without it anymore. She's 'scairt' of getting stranded somewhere.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 10:40 pm 

Mark D wrote:
Over the long haul we've saved money by having AAA do the towing. They don't charge for the towing, just the membership, as you know but others might not. They do sort of screw the towing companies and many of them leave AAA in their rear view mirror after a while. I tend to tip the wrecker driver. Most years our membership fee is just gone, but it keeps the wife happy.
Mark D.

My 1st cal to AAA tow truck only gave $25 discount for AAA, second call, AAA gave towing co wrong address and refused to pay for second call.