Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 17, 2019 6:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Using a FM transmitter for home
PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 9:10 pm 

davep wrote:
All I listen to is SW and AM , look what I did to the listening post. So for me it's completely viable . Its a huge subject that's been beaten here a few times I recall . I hope it lasts as long as I do.

The 50k and 5 and 10k stations seem to be doing ok, at least someone's there.
Would you buy a medium wave station right now as an investment if it came up?

Our local station was started in the '90's, and resold twice, each time for several hundred thousand. It's 500 watts daytime, and I believe they drop the output at night. The value all depends on the market a station serves, and it's programming.

If there are enough advertisers and listeners, it works. They have live people at the microphones, broadcasting local traffic, news, HS and college football games, Real Estate programs from local Realtors, etc. When fireworks are displayed at the local mall on the 4th, they coordinate music to it.

Now if it were simply doing a canned broadcast of sports or political talk or religion, it's value would be but a fraction of the community involved station that it is.

"It ain't whatcha got, it's how ya use it". :wink:

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 10:09 pm 

fifties wrote:
So is spitting on the sidewalk in many cities, but unless someone complains, nothing will come of it.

If you step on a licensed broadcaster's toes, and they complain, Enforcement Bureau will probably respond. Enforcement Bureau has been on the warpath for pirates in recent years, and that transmitter can only be used by a pirate.

fifties wrote:
As long as the "illegal" transmitter is broadcasting on an unused frequency in the band, what are the chances of a complaint? I would suggest zero.

You obviously don't follow current Enforcement Bureau actions.

Dale H. Cook, Radio Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 10:12 pm 

bluebellyyankee wrote:
In the meantime I found a friend who knows somebody with a field intensity meter that can take a measurement.

If it isn't a Potomac Instruments FIM-71 it's measurement is likely only an approximation, at best.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 10:14 pm 

I think the FCC will start cracking down on those home FM transmitters just as soon as they take care of all those 2000 watt transmitters on the CB band. :roll:

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 10:25 pm 

Gary Tayman wrote:
As for FM, it just says don't go over 200 feet.

What Part 15.239 specifies is a maximum field intensity of 250 microvolts/meter at 3 meters. While that translates to an effective range of about 200 feet, 47CFR15 says noting about distance other than what I cited, and determining field intensity requires suitable instrumentation, preferrably a Potomac Instruments FIM-71.

Gary Tayman wrote:
... if they're fine with 15 licensed 10,000 watt stations in the city, why would something a tenth of a watt in the same frequency band be a problem?

Those licensed stations have invested considerable time and money in insuring, to the Commission's satisfaction, that they are not causing objectionable interference. An unlicensed station cannot insure that unless it is using an FCC certified transmitter.

Gary Tayman wrote:
As for the FCC, they're understaffed in this department, and pirates out there can often go for years before anything happens.

I take it that you do not follow recent Enforcement Bureau actions.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 10:49 pm 

Dale H. Cook wrote:
fifties wrote:
So is spitting on the sidewalk in many cities, but unless someone complains, nothing will come of it.

If you step on a licensed broadcaster's toes, and they complain, Enforcement Bureau will probably respond. Enforcement Bureau has been on the warpath for pirates in recent years, and that transmitter can only be used by a pirate.

fifties wrote:
As long as the "illegal" transmitter is broadcasting on an unused frequency in the band, what are the chances of a complaint? I would suggest zero.

You obviously don't follow current Enforcement Bureau actions.

Geezus Dale, lighten up. I notice that you selectively did not post the disclaimer at the end of my post. Here it is again, for your enlightenment;
fifties wrote:

Now with all that said, this site only promotes LEGAL activity (so pay my ramblings no mind :wink: )

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 11:50 pm 

Here is a funny letter from commish , in which he hurls vague threats to a newspaper for writing about a pirate station (Green light Radio) and references to listeners, although he does not say listeners are criminals . Just helpful if they wouldn't listen , Sure, we will not listen since its harmful.
No mention of aircraft crashes, although he did bring up the stealing ad dollars narrative. Not receiving funds is a key point, so we'll know what's important. My favorite though is that if one station is more popular than another, it's not fair to the station whose listeners were stolen :cry:

And for Fifities, he did mention some stations are so fragile , pirate radio could bring them down with enough listerners.

https://longmontobserver.org/opinion/le ... l-harmful/

PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2018 3:45 am 

The general tenor of this thread seems to be to ignore the Rules & Regs, which I do not have the liberty of doing, and for which I have no tolerance, so I will confine my Part 15 attentions to locales that do not tolerate violation of Part 15 and I will bid this topic adieu. I can see that there is no sense in participating in topics such as this one.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 16, 2018 12:05 am 

I haven't listened to commercial FM radio stations in years, I can't stand to hear a 10 min commercial block every 5 min. I do tune in a local college station for the Jazz show and the PBS classical station when they are not fund raising. I mostly listen to my Sirius Radio these days, enjoy the Doctor Radio and the Spa channel. Don't know any young people who tune in AM or FM.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 29, 2018 8:53 pm 

In a related topic, I have a friend in the Boston area who sent me this link:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/radi ... ons-boston

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Thu 29, 2018 9:11 pm 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
Don't know any young people who tune in AM or FM.

What do the kids today listen to?

PostPosted: Mar Thu 29, 2018 9:13 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
In a related topic, I have a friend in the Boston area who sent me this link:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/radi ... ons-boston

Dave

At least it sounds like the FCC gave them plenty of notice, before seizing their equipment;
Quote:
The FCC issued multiple warnings to the illegal operators, but the radio stations continued to broadcast.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 52 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3