Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 18, 2019 2:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Disparaging Remarks for People Here from Facebook Group
PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 2:55 pm 

I don't understand how trying to help people out is considered a bad thing to do. Comments that we are all a bunch of old curmudgeons who hate newbies is very hurtful for those of us who really try to add to the enjoyment of this hobby. Maybe I need to take a break for a while . Here is the quote regarding help for an AK 627;
"Antique Radio Forum people are a bit too knowledgeable sometimes. Worse than here one gets incredibly complex answers that make newbies think replacing every resistor with handmade repro dog bones or having a new transformer wound by Heybowzer is what everyone does."
And another "I don’t think they have the patience for people new to this. The internet didn’t exist when they were new to it."

Post subject: Re: Disparaging Remarks for People Here from Facebook Group
PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 3:13 pm 

Take it with a grain of salt.

I am 17 and have been a member a few years and think the members here are very interested in helping new guys get started. Sometimes it does seem as though some members think it is treason to not be a purist when restoring a radio, but really they are just voicing their opinion, which is fine with me.

This is one of the many problem with social media, people don't think their words matter and can say hurtful stuff that they wouldn't actually say in person in front of someone.

Again, I wouldn't worry.

-Noah

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 3:14 pm 

Well Lou, there are some extremists here. And a few long-winded blowhards that like to treat new posters as though they've never even listened to a radio in the past. Luckily, there are only a few here that fit that description. Most of us have better things to do with our time.

Then again, there are a lot of Facebook TV & radio guys that seem to follow poor advice like lemmings to the sea who could really benefit from getting to know the many experienced folks here.

Following both ARF & Facebook (and other resources) would be an advantage to most everyone. It never hurts to expand your knowledge and resource bases.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 3:23 pm 

Lou,

Interesting post, I don't use Facebook so never would have known.

In my experience, most criticisms tend to be based, at least partly, on fact. I remember times actually learning from someone fine tuning me (after I cooled off :cry:)

In honesty I'll admit that I have seen some arrogant and closed minded responses to issues. This can be very off-putting to members (new and old).

The anger venting over repurposing of old stuff that would have otherwise gone in the dumpster.

Ridicule of eBayers who don't know as much about old radios as we do.

OTOH, I've seen many comments that this is one of the friendlier forums on the net.

Tim

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 3:29 pm 

Lou, I just looked up the FB post you mentioned.

Like Noah said, we need to take some of his opinions with a grain of salt.

Edited to remove what could be considered as political references.

Last edited by wiscojim on Dec Thu 06, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 3:30 pm 

Was it a complaint by someone who knows something, or one of the driveby one-time posters that leaves one vague question and never comes back and responds to the answers?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 3:38 pm 

I wouldn't worry about it either. The poster does have a couple of good points though. Being pretty new to this hobby, I sometimes get answers that are not geared to someone who is just starting out. Not bad answers, just ones that need to be simplified for a trainee. We newbies sometime require more of an explanation or more details than someone who has been doing this for decades needs. As for the curmudgeons, you would expect more of them in this age group. As people get older they tend to have (health, etc.) issues that are weighing on them and this affects there attitude. Others just seem to have been born grumpy, like my neighbor who is also one of my favorite people. This is a great site, not perfect, but still the best for getting together with others who have an interest in the radio hobby.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 3:44 pm 

facebook? the same place with questionable news censorship? who cares what goes on over there. i briefly had an account and quickly closed it.

for the most part i've seen friendly folks here. the only time i recall seeing something that rubbed me the wrong way was when a member complained about the small picture attachment size allowed. a bunch of folks basically told the guy to pack his bags and get out if he dont like it. maybe the mods didn't want to hear what he had to say but showing someone the door like that does reinforce the crochety old men stereotype.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 3:45 pm 

No one wants to hear that their problem requires a complex fix. There will always be whiners who look for the magic wand solution and complain when there is none.

BTW, Facebook is NOT what I consider to be an informational venue (more like a chat room for people with lots of time on their hands).

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 3:57 pm 

Meh....l'm glad we're being talked about. Craig

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 4:01 pm 

wazz wrote:
Was it a complaint by someone who knows something, or one of the driveby one-time posters that leaves one vague question and never comes back and responds to the answers?

The first negative remark was from someone that thought ARF was just an exclusive "good old boys" club.

But then someone else (very well known here) had to jump on the bandwagon.

Last edited by wiscojim on Dec Thu 06, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 4:06 pm 

I would just say that everyone's comments on a subject are just their opinions especially on cosmetic things and methods they use, remember that opinions are like other body parts that we all have 8) I agree that some don't have very good social skills to match their technical prowess. There are some good FB groups, I like the Vintage Electronic Test Equipment the most. I learned my trade working in the construction Unions and if you think anyone here is a hardass you ain't seen nothin. But I learned a lot from these guys and got along with them as I gained respect for their knowledge.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 4:09 pm 

Welcome to the internet! Other people post things that you will find offensive or don't agree with on social media (including these forums). If I really don't like the user I simply add them to my ignore list and don't read anything that they post. So far I have only needed to do that to a few on here. Problem solved!

If you don't like a user on Facebook I suggest blocking them if they bother you that much. The more popular groups on Facebook have admins who can AND will remove personal attacks, hateful posts, and posts that don't adhere to the group rules. Within the last year I had to ban a guy from an antique radio group on FB for insulting others and being a blowhard jerk, and he was a regular on ARF for a long time :roll:

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 4:26 pm 

The first sign of a thread going south is usually that the OP receives a response that differs from what (s)he expects. Her/his response is to bad-mouth the responder who wrote that post, rather than trying to understand why it's correct.

The other problem is with people who are quite familiar with the internet. They think every site is Google, where you can post a question and get a simple answer. That's what they expect, rather than attempting to learn any background information or expand their knowledge.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 6:17 pm 

I'm always right don't you know! Opinions are what makes the world go around, so to speak. :lol:
Read and learn. Luckily we do have an excellent collection of very knowledgeable people here. However, even the best do not always agree. Zenith engineering guys did not always agree with the RCA engineers nor did RCA engineers always agree with RCA engineers.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 6:34 pm 

I think that on the whole, this site is very helpful towards newbies.

But there are some that have no interest in learning anything, they just want an easy, instant fix. When they find out that it doesn't work that way, they get frustrated and leave. How can you help someone that isn't interested in putting in the work?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 6:51 pm 

Here's my advice: Delete Facebook from both your browser and phone. I did this about 2 months ago. Why? Because that site has outlived its usefulness. Most of my friends have quit too. All FB ever did for me over the last several years was to get me angry over what people would say to one another. I don't need that in my life. Frankly I don't really miss it either.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 7:34 pm 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
Here is the quote regarding help for an AK 627;
"Antique Radio Forum people are a bit too knowledgeable sometimes. Worse than here one gets incredibly complex answers that make newbies think replacing every resistor with handmade repro dog bones or having a new transformer wound by Heybowzer is what everyone does."

That comment is correct a good percentage of the time. We have very knowledgeable folks here who can really get into extreme detail on restoration and such, going far beyond any practical simple solution a noob would be able to fathom.

It is what it is, we are what we are, and don't owe anyone any apologies.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 11:18 pm 

fifties wrote:
Lou deGonzague wrote:
Here is the quote regarding help for an AK 627;
That comment is correct a good percentage of the time. We have very knowledgeable folks here who can really get into extreme detail on restoration and such, going far beyond any practical simple solution a noob would be able to fathom.

It is what it is, we are what we are, and don't owe anyone any apologies.
Absolutely true.

One problem, of which I'm often guilty, is providing service recommendations without explaining the reason behind same.

One problem newbies often have is rejecting such recommendations without trying to understand the reason behind same, or because they're not what the newbie expects or wants to hear.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 11:29 pm 

I am still, considering a Facebook account. It would give me access to certain other accounts concerning radio. But, the more I hear, the less likely I will subscribe. I bang my head enough rummaging in my attic let alone doing so online... Attic is really tough, re-roofed in 2013, the nails protrude about an inch :shock:

Chas

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 35 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next