Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Tue 07, 2020 1:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nichola Tesla's Spirit Radio
PostPosted: Oct Sat 20, 2018 11:15 pm 

Would be fun to try and duplicate. Something about this radio left Tesla staggered and amazed. Back then there was no AM yet the great Serbian inventor claimed he had picked up audio. My bet is they used Tesla as inspiration for Contact, with Jodie Foster. Some hobbyists have made the Tesla radio although I'm not sure if it's known exactly how he built it. I read Tesla had set up experiments that created earth tremors in the neighbourhood. He wanted to use thousands of volts to send signals into space. The Tesla radio is maybe a mystery in itself.

Post subject: Re: Nichola Tesla's Spirit Radio
PostPosted: Oct Sun 21, 2018 1:01 am 

got links?

PostPosted: Oct Sun 21, 2018 1:14 am 

It should come up under Tesla and spirit radio. The man himself was a phenomenon of course. Classed as the stereotype mad scientist. Certainly the inventor of radio and AC electricity generation and supply. Claimed paranormal contact via his radio and was laughed at by society. Claimed he knew how to split the earth like an apple. The radio is supposedly a crystal set but who knows there may have been something deeper about it.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 21, 2018 2:46 am 

He is the father of AC and while Edison (who Tesla worked for and was stiffed by) took credit for things he didn't deserve, Tesla GAVE AWAY his patents for AC motors and generators to Westinghouse. Westinghouse was being sued into bankruptcy by Edison who was miffed because he didn't get the contract to wire Niagra Falls with his DC equipment, even though that would have been impractical. Later Tesla had to beg and borrow to finance his experiments when those patents would have made him a millionare back in the time when that meant something. His most ambitious idea was for the worldwide wireless transmission of electricity. When Tesla died, the federal government rushed to his hotel room hoping to find plans for inventions it could use. I don't think what they found was ever made public. IMHO Tesla was a greater inventor and most certainly a better man than Edison.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 21, 2018 3:50 am 

10.7Megahertz wrote:
It should come up under Tesla and spirit radio. The man himself was a phenomenon of course. Classed as the stereotype mad scientist. Certainly the inventor of radio and AC electricity generation and supply. Claimed paranormal contact via his radio and was laughed at by society. Claimed he knew how to split the earth like an apple. The radio is supposedly a crystal set but who knows there may have been something deeper about it.
Tesla is anything but the 'inventor of radio' and to his dying day insisted that 'radio waves' were a stupefying myth perpetrated by know nothing charlatans in the greatest con job in history. It was his "true wireless" that was, well, 'true'... as opposed to that absurd notion of transverse EM waves (I.e. "radio"). He just couldn't fathom why the scientific community had collectively gone mad over mythical Hertzian waves.

Similarly, he considered quantum mechanics and relativity to be delusional fantasies of madmen.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 21, 2018 12:46 pm 

I live just miles from Wardenclyffe (and subsequently RCA central) and have always been fascinated with these sites. One story goes that Nicola did a test on a machine that caused the building to shake and then windows to shatter in homes in the surrounding area of Shoreham. It became so powerful that it shook the foundation of the building and even frightened Nicola to which he took a sledge hammer to it, not being able to shut it down quick enough! Then, on the last day he had funding at the site, when Morgan pulled out, his tower bristled with electricity and the skies turned an odd color, as reported by local residents. No one knows what he was attempting to do.
He might have been eccentric, but through that he touched upon possibilities that no one else dared try. Likely his stolen papers are still studied at places like Area 51 and the like today. What man can imagine can come to pass.
As quantum physics have proven, an atom only becomes visible when man looks for it. Thoughts are the birthplace of "reality".
Look up "the measurement problem" for further info. Very interesting.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 21, 2018 6:58 pm 

Flipperhome wrote:
10.7Megahertz wrote:
Tesla is anything but the 'inventor of radio' and to his dying day insisted that 'radio waves' were a stupefying myth perpetrated by know nothing charlatans in the greatest con job in history. It was his "true wireless" that was, well, 'true'... as opposed to that absurd notion of transverse EM waves (I.e. "radio"). He just couldn't fathom why the scientific community had collectively gone mad over mythical Hertzian waves.

Similarly, he considered quantum mechanics and relativity to be delusional fantasies of madmen.

This isn't what I derived from Tesla. I could recite scores of direct quotes to show this amazing inventor understood totally what oscillation is. He predicted global communication networks to the letter of modern times. This guy had some kind of savant understanding of how oscillation functions - to the point he could visualise his circuits. Tesla was rejected by the world of science as he was so far out in his imagination. A typical crazy inventor out of a super hero comic book. Evidently he became close only to his pigeons. Mystery surrounds his death rsy weapons inventions and the radio he built is also a mystery - like an H.G.Wells story. Tesla stated he was picking up audio signals that scared him considerably but was later supported by Marconi. Given Tesla pioneered AC and other inventions he must have gotten some result from his radio experiments. Personally I think they used him in Contact as in that movie a lesser scientist takes credit for Jodie Foster's WOW signal.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 21, 2018 10:29 pm 

The warning to pay heed to is great inventors tend to get pushed to the side and wind up with little financial reward. Even the guy who invented the clockwork radio was cheated of his idea. A company got around the patent by a tecnicality and marketed the radio. More controversial was Grigory Perelman the Russian mathematician. He was a very complex loner who only studied maths. He cracked a decades old geometrical puzzle but then became embroiled in controversy. Some Chinese mathematicians tried to claim Perelman had used their idea. By the time Perelman was finally credited as the true source of the maths break-through, he was no longer "engaged". Perelman turned down a one million dollar cash prize and ceremony. Academics flew out to St Petersburg to try and persuade the mathematician to accept the award. This was a man who lived on 150 dollars a month and he declined the prize money. People in Russia were likewise shocked but Perelman retreated and went low profile. Finally he took a research job in Sweden. So, Tesla in his day didn't get the recognition he deserved. It now seems to have been recognised he was the first to transmit a signal. This you can reference on.Google.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2018 12:34 am 

There seems to be a lot of mythical stories surrounding Tesla.

Such as the 1931 testing of his power source with a Pierce-Arrow electric car.

http://www.hutchisoneffect.com/Tesla%20Pierce-Arrow.php

I found this story when searching for info on a 70L7 tube.
It wasn't available yet in 1931 :P

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2018 12:49 am 

Article in the current October QST about that sort of thing, and mentions Tesla with pictures. It concludes it is all good fun and also humbug.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2018 3:13 am 

10.7Megahertz wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:
10.7Megahertz wrote:

This isn't what I derived from Tesla. I could recite scores of direct quotes to show this amazing inventor understood totally what oscillation is. He predicted global communication networks to the letter of modern times. This guy had some kind of savant understanding of how oscillation functions - to the point he could visualise his circuits. Tesla was rejected by the world of science as he was so far out in his imagination. A typical crazy inventor out of a super hero comic book. Evidently he became close only to his pigeons. Mystery surrounds his death rsy weapons inventions and the radio he built is also a mystery - like an H.G.Wells story. Tesla stated he was picking up audio signals that scared him considerably but was later supported by Marconi. Given Tesla pioneered AC and other inventions he must have gotten some result from his radio experiments. Personally I think they used him in Contact as in that movie a lesser scientist takes credit for Jodie Foster's WOW signal.
"Oscillation," while necessary for radio transmission, isn't "radio," nor is resonance. Lots of things can be made to "oscillate" and "resonate" but "RADIO" uses radio waves, I.e. Hertzian waves, known as transverse electromagnetic radiation. Tesla disavowed they even existed and that "Hertzian waves," if they existed at all (his inconsistency, not mine), were really (waste) longitudinal (compression/decompression) space waves in the aether, like sound waves are in air. In any event, they were totally useless to him. How anyone can claim he 'invented' that which he claimed didn't exist is beyond reason.

Tesla's "True Wireless" (as he called it) was by CONDUCTION, using earth as the conductor, which he erroneously claimed became a "prefect conductor" when properly excited. His own words from "Wireless Telegraphy and Telephony Popularly Explained" (1908): "This mode of conveying electrical energy to a distance is not 'wireless' in the popular sense, but a transmission through a conductor, and one which is incomparably more perfect than any artificial one. All impediments of conduction arise from confinement of the electric and magnetic fluxes to narrow channels. The globe is free of such cramping and hinderment. It is an ideal conductor because of its immensity, isolation in space, and geometrical form." He explicitly TELLS you that HIS "wireless" is NOT the 'wireless' people understand the term to mean, specifically "radio." And that's not the only place he tries to dispel the madness of "Hertzian waves." He does so in his wireless' patents, and in every other opportunity he was given. Tesla himself would be most distressed to hear people claim he 'invented', or was in any way associated with, the delusional thing called "radio."

The purpose of his "oscillations" were two fold. The first was to hop up voltage using his miraculous "Tesla Coil." This would then be used to excite the earth, meaning the entire planet, which he claimed resonated at 12 cycles per second, so any multiple of 12 cycles would be compatible with his Tesla Coil. Currents would then flow, without resistance, to any 'node' on the planet where a "receiving station" (in resonance) could then tap off the energy. It just doesn't work and shows a woeful lack of understanding, which isn't particularly surprising since he disavowed and dismissed as delusional every tenant of modern physics, matter, and electronics.

Your H.G Wells comment is appropriate as he would have made a bang up science fiction writer, at least by 1890 standards, but he missed the boat as far as any understanding, or even acceptance, of modern scientific thought. And that includes Maxwell and Hertz, the basis of "radio."

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2018 10:15 am 

Of course electricity needs a good conductor to transport electric current.

These days most of our intelligence resides in clouds.

Draining real clouds requires a good conductor to bring the current
to earth where it can do work like melting metal and setting trees on fire.

Perhaps Tesla was approaching an energy transfer at some harmonic
resembling where most of the presence of a lightning strike is transmitted
causing radio crashing sounds.

Tesla did write a lot. It is in the patents he was granted.,

So did Edison, but he had more patents.

So, Edison invented the wiring system in your house and
your street, using AC with transformers invented by two men
who sold their idea to Westinghouse.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2018 11:25 am 

Quote:
Your H.G Wells comment is appropriate as he would have made a bang up science fiction writer, at least by 1890 standards, but he missed the boat as far as any understanding, or even acceptance, of modern scientific thought.

Yes, Tesla would have made a bang up science fiction writer. Judging by many comments here, and by his peers at the time, that is the medium in which he was working.

But to judge the man by "modern scientific thought" simply does not do justice to either the man's insight, or the evolution of science. If one is to judge Tesla at all, it needs to be done using the standards of the time during which he lived and worked. Most of science today would have, of course, been considered magic, science fiction, or simply insane back then.

I've often wondered if Tesla, Marconi, Faraday, Einstein, even Edison, a handful of others ... were aliens. Perhaps "contact" didn't get it so wrong ;-)

All kidding aside though, to be fair, and discuss Tesla's accomplishments in any meaningful way, one must look at the science OF THE TIMES, not what we know to be science today.

Has anyone read Heinlein's "Magic, Incorporated" ?? :-D

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2018 8:15 pm 

Interesting...But Tesla himself never said it was "spirits":

“My first observations positively terrified me,” Tesla said about the
radio in 1901, “as there was present in them something mysterious,
not to say supernatural, and I was alone in my laboratory at night…
The sounds I am listening to at first sound like human voices conversing
back and forth in a language I cannot understand.”

I am wondering If just possibly "voices" could be "imprinted"
in the crystal itself from some event in the past? I thought I once read
something on this theory.

Neat video on a guy who made one:
http://boredomtherapy.com/spirit-radio-human-voices/

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2018 8:18 pm 

Tesla lived in an age where much had to be learned in.stages and by experience. I have books from the thirties where a grid bias battery was just the done thing. Nobody thought of tapping off bias from a cathode resistor. If my memory serves me correctly Tesla was presumably the first to transmit electric from one large tube to another. He certainly predicted global communications networks.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2018 8:33 pm 

10.7Megahertz wrote:
Tesla lived in an age where much had to be learned in.stages and by experience. I have books from the thirties where a grid bias battery was just the done thing. Nobody thought of tapping off bias from a cathode resistor. If my memory serves me correctly Tesla was presumably the first to transmit electric from one large tube to another. He certainly predicted global communications networks.

"The wireless transmission of energy would become the ultimate pursuit of Tesla's career. He discovered that a vacuum tube held in proximity to a Tesla coil would burst into illumination, without wires, without even a filament inside the glowing tube. Electrical resonance was the key to this discovery. By determining the frequency of the needed electrical current, Tesla was able to turn a series of different lights on and off selectively, from yards away. He had just become an American citizen in 1891, and this new technology was to be his gift of thanks to his adoptive country: a means of transmitting energy instantly, across any distance, through thin air. Free energy for everyone."
http://www.viewzone.com/tesla.free.html

In the movie "Prestige" this was portrayed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2018 8:35 pm 

I'm not sure why Tesla disagreed with Einstein's relativity but the two scientists seemed to respect one another. The first test of Einstein's relativity I think was Yuri Gagarin's atomic clock. What's important to remember is Einstein himself experienced a lot of skepticism and even failed his electrical entrance exams. What struck me too was the "C" Einstein was given for an early essay he did. At around 19 he stated he saw his strengths in the theoretical side of sciences. So Einstein even at that age knew his abilities lay in theory rather than applied. I think the notion of Einstein being an initial dullard has been exaggerated somewhat. He did flunk a big exam and it's correct he became self taught. Despite that his overall academic record was pretty decent. As to Tesla one edge he had over Einstein was he was both theoretical and an engineer. He worked with pretty awesome voltages and he wanted to put thousands of volts into space.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2018 8:48 pm 

With reference to the post above, I had one of those chance experiences you sometimes get offhand. It was so simple. I.was sat reading in my boat and put my two kilowatt kettle to boil. In such a case you will find a large load placed on a shoreline AC supply will cause the lights to dim a fraction. By chance there was a bit of string caught between the base of the kettle and the pins. This kept interrupting the supply but as a result the boat lamps were "modulated". It brought home to me more directly just why a triode amp needs a load resistor. Maybe decades ago beams of light could have been used in CW.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2018 11:11 pm 

RadioNut39 wrote:
Interesting...But Tesla himself never said it was "spirits":

“My first observations positively terrified me,” Tesla said about the
radio in 1901, “as there was present in them something mysterious,
not to say supernatural, and I was alone in my laboratory at night…
The sounds I am listening to at first sound like human voices conversing
back and forth in a language I cannot understand.”

I am wondering If just possibly "voices" could be "imprinted"
in the crystal itself from some event in the past? I thought I once read
something on this theory.

Neat video on a guy who made one:
http://boredomtherapy.com/spirit-radio-human-voices/

The Chinese should mass produce some of them! They make just about everything else.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2018 11:16 pm 

It's but a short hop from voices imprinted on a crystal, to sentient crystal life!! :-D (sorry, chalk it up to reading way too much SciFi as a kid). And let's not forget the Crystaline Entity of Star Trek fame.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 109 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next