Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 15, 2019 9:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What Is a Good Media Player Besides Windows MP ? Win 7 Prob
PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 6:10 am 

here is my situation.

I use three old 2005'ish loaded top line at the time (processor, memory, HDD) XP computers to play my music collection. One is in the shop, one plays 24/7 for the whole house sound system, and the other is in the audio room.

these XP computers have nothing but a fresh XP OS on them, no updates, and they have a high-end (at the time and still "high-end", considering) sound card. they were never connected to the internet as are perfect for their job of playing music.

the crossfading feature to overlap songs works perfectly in WMP 11, the XP version. I absolutely love this feature and have become completely used to "no silence" between songs.

i hope they never give up, but here is a problem that I will encounter if they do:

if/when I need to use a Windows 7 computer when the XP machines go bunk, it has been determined that on all 5 of my Win 7 computers in their Windows Media Player 12, the Crossfading feature does not and will not work.

all of these computers have fresh copies of Win 7 on them as they have all of the updates too. it is not the computers, it is the media player and Microsoft's inability to fix or care to fix it.

I have researched this problem extensively on the internet and nobody has a solution. the crossfading feature is either worthless or it has very minimal effect on crossfading songs even when the time is set to 10 seconds. I've proved this on all 5 of my Win 7 machines.

I have done everything that anyone on every forum has suggested to get the crossfading to work on Win 7 Media Player 12. it will not work for them or me.

so, my question is: what is a good media player that will do exactly what WMP does so I can use the crossfading feature in this program ? what media player do audio people use or what is an excellent one other than WMP ? I love WMP, but if Win 7 (media player 12) won't crossfade, I will not use it.

all I want is a really good media player that does the exact same things as WMP, such as creating playlists, sort by "title/artist/genre/all music" will repeat, will shuffle, will "random play/pick" AND Cross Fade. it has to have the same features as WMP.

I don't need anything for video, just audio, even though a player will most likely have video playback included just like WMP does.

I am looking to buy a media player, not download some watered down free program that is loaded with crapware, nag screens, malware, trialware, junk, garbage, and ads (I know how "free" programs are--nothing's free).

I have found this:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/register/en/

reading about it, it is exactly like WMP and more, with crossfading.

sidebar note: anyone here figure out how to make crossfading work on Windows 7, Media Player 12 ? if so, you might be able to become rich very quickly.

spoiler: I have a stand alone copy of WMP 11 for XP 32 and 64 bit. when I tried to install it on my Win 7 computer that uses WMP 12, a message came up that I can not retro back to an old version :evil: . that would have been too easy, of course :roll: .

santa left me a pile of money and I don't mind spending it on a good media player.

what program are people who are music enthusiasts using other than WMP ?

thanks,

steve

Post subject: Re: What Is a Good Media Player Besides Windows MP ? Win 7
PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 8:25 am 

Don't know if it'll do everything you want but Foobar is pretty good, and it's free.

https://www.foobar2000.org/

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 9:12 am 

Neutron has gapless playback and crosfading, although I don't know if either matches your definition.

MS went downhill after MP11, however, some claim MP12 does crossfade. Have you seen this:

https://www.lifewire.com/windows-media-player-12-crossfading-2438894

John

Edit: I just tried this in Windows 10 with WMP 12.0.17134.1 and 5 second fade in a shuffled playlist. It works fine. My Windows 7 PC is out in my workshop, so I can't tet it until tomorrow.

I did notice that Microsoft doesn't allow you to easily see the presence of WMP in Windows 10. I had to use Task Manager to verify it was what was actually running. It is hidden as part of the OS, which it isn't and has no entry in Programs and Features.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 1:41 pm 

If you can find a copy of an older version of Winamp that will do what you want and so much more.

VLC media player is another one, but I haven't experiemnted with it enough to determine if it does crossfading.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 1:55 pm 

Try Mixx
https://www.mixxx.org

While it is DJ software, it is what I use to run my "radio station"

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 4:25 pm 

those are great suggestions.

i have tried everything to make MP 12 in Win 7 work on crossfading. i've read the lifewire article above and so many more. i've even read the "microsoft answer" in the MS forums which is a generic response that insinuates that the operator has no idea how to "turn it on".

of course, the MS answer is a joke and worthless.

:arrow: what about this: what if i found a copy of Win XP 64 Bit and installed it on my Win 7 computer that is 64 bit. XP has WM 11 in it that crossfades.

i've never played around with switching OSes, but i think it would work.

what do you folk think about putting XP 64 bit on a Win 7 computer with a complete fresh reformat ?

steve

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 4:28 pm 

Quote:
what do you folk think about putting XP 64 bit on a Win 7 computer with a complete fresh reformat ?

Driver issues is what I see.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 4:50 pm 

driver issues:

i have all the updated drivers and such from dell's site and from their "drivers and utility" disc.

do you mean that i will need to install the drivers (which i have) or do you mean that the drivers for the computer won't play well with an XP 64 bit OS ?

as in: the Win 7 drivers are not going to be compatible or like the XP os ?

thanks.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 5:58 pm 

Quote:
the drivers for the computer won't play well with an XP 64 bit OS ?

This 7 drivers and Xp drivers were 2 different animals on some things.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 6:42 pm 

is it worth a try to put XP 64x on a [once was] Win 7 64x computer ?

if i were to try it and get a new NIB never opened XP full version disc with key code, can i install it on three computers ?

--or will i *have* to go on the internet as well to register it and then it will say something like "already used".

if i install it on three computers with the key code and NOT go on the internet, will they all work ?

--or is going on the internet a must and that would mean "one NIB OS to only one computer" ?

my music computers get the os, the drivers, and they never connect to the internet. they have no need to do so.

i've always used the "dell" recovery OS disc to reinstall windows on all of my computers. i have never installed a store bought fresh NIB MS operating system.

thanks for answering all the questions. i am more than capable of doing/trying it, but i want to have a good understanding and hear about my [perhaps] upcoming unchartered endeavors.

...all over stupid microsoft Win 7 Media Player 12 not crossfading...(insert curse words)...of all the features on it that has to NOT work...

thanks.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 7:12 pm 

You will have to go to internet to register it.
Unless it has been registered before it will register.

You can put the key in and will continue the intstall, but until it calls home it will lock you out in a matter of days.

The question is are Microsoft's XP license servers still alive? That is your question.

You would not know until you tired.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 9:11 pm 

hi simplex,

i understand. thank you. the OS questions have been answered.

to all who suggested those players in the above posts, do they come down with any nagware, adware, popupware, PITAware, or crapware ?

i might download them and save the files for a rainy day.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 9:30 pm 

I use the vlc media player

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 9:39 pm 

This is sent from an HP laptop running Windows 7 SP1 with WMP12 12.0.7601.24312.

I turned on crossfading. It works perfectly.

I don't doubt that you have a problem. I know it isn't the combination of Windows 7 SP1 and WMP12 on an old PC. I previously reported it works fine on Windows 10 and WMP12. I doubt this feature requires any special characteristics in the sound card or that your PCs can't handle multiple simultaneous sound streams, since that has been a normal requirement for decades.

John

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 9:41 pm 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
hi simplex,

i understand. thank you. the OS questions have been answered.

to all who suggested those players in the above posts, do they come down with any nagware, adware, popupware, PITAware, or crapware ?

i might download them and save the files for a rainy day.

steve

Mixx is freeware (open source) and did not have any nagg ware ad ware etc. Nor does it expire or have limits.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 2:20 am 

vlc media player does not have any nagware.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 4:08 am 

good to know

thanks.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 5:01 am 

Winamp has no nag ware either.

The benefit to it is it can be used with plugins which can perform various functions.

An example is for a few years until my favorite station to broadcast to my antique radios decided to switch streaming to a format not supported by media players I used Winamp with the stereo tools plugin which added audio processing to Winamp.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 5:27 am 

i have a copy of winamp. does it do crossfading ?

steve

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 7:38 am 

Foobar has no nagware and it has a lot of configuration settings and options.

Attachments:
foobar.jpg
foobar.jpg [ 42.99 KiB | Viewed 853 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next