Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 09, 2019 3:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Just bought the cutest talking doll ever? :D
PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 1:15 am 

This is the first doll ever that I have put any considerable amount of money into, so I am quite excited about my purchase and just wanted to brag. :)

So, I just bought this 1986 Cricket Doll by Playmates Toys. It came to $115 CDN. ($87 USD.) altogether. Never have I seen a cuter doll than this. It seems it was all the rage at the time, and there were several different tapes (over a dozen) and addons that could be bought for Cricket. I got her in very good condition and at a decent price as her mouth apparently doesn't work move as she talks, but I've seen videos on how to fix this, and it seems that it is very likely just an issue with an old, broken elastic/o-ring band that is connected to gears that move her mouth. The seller had even stated in the ad: "Her mouth was working when we put her in storage but now after some years the mouth doesnt move for some reason", so fingers crossed! :D

She is going to adorn my apartment, but she is also an investment. I believe that her value will continue to go up. And even now, the doll itself and her tapes are fetching very good money. As well as her accessories. Also, I thought she'd make a great conversational piece for guests, and I will be bring her into a kindergarten class to show the kids. So, in any event, money well spent IMO.

But, in order to fully appreciate Cricket, you must see her talking. She moves her eyes in several different directions as well as her lips. If you don't think this is cute, then, well, whatev's, but she has certainly won my heart!

Crickets introduction tape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPJ7TmUSawU

Kids knock knock jokes with doll + kids reactions (the kids seem to really like her!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v7LxnmG5QQ

There are dozens and dozens and dozens more videos on YouTube with Cricket. Surely, she must have a decent following.

All the clothing that my Cricket comes with seems to be original: sweater, shoes (though no Cricket soles on the bottom–they seem to be missing), yellow frilly socks (not just replacement baby socks), pink pigtail ties, dress, and even her yellow pantalets, which match her socks. Yes, often Cricket is missing her underwear, but it is part of the doll, and obviously incomplete without it.

Do you have any talking or non-talking dolls? Would like to hear about your collection or any info about my new addition.

These are pics of the very item on ebay that I bought:

Attachments:
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg [ 207.36 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg [ 231.88 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]
pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg [ 240.14 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]
pic4.jpg
pic4.jpg [ 240.65 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]
pic5.jpg
pic5.jpg [ 205.45 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]

Post subject: Re: Just bought the cutest talking doll ever? :D
PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 1:53 am 

Nightmares watching that thing. I'd put a Ozzy tape in her and let her rip.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 2:11 am 

The foam/felt pressure pad in the cassettes can harden/deteriorate.
google how to fix.

She's a doll. lol
Why is she wearing grandma's underwear... :shock:
...please do not answer that.

:) Greg.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 3:11 am 

n3uvt wrote:
Nightmares watching that thing. I'd put a Ozzy tape in her and let her rip.

Well, she is quite versatile:

Warning, explicate language!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExafYKwSB28

:P

Quote:
The foam/felt pressure pad in the cassettes can harden/deteriorate.
google how to fix.

Will do. Thank you!

Quote:
Why is she wearing grandma's underwear... 
...please do not answer that.

I agree that is it very old-school, but she is wearing a skirt, and unless they wanted to have her going commando, she will need something to cover up and be decent. Pantalets seemed to be a solution that was not so intimate that it would embarrass little girls. I guess they could have had her wear a skort instead.

Also, the fact that she is wearing all the clothing that a human might wear adds to the cuteness factor. I believe they wanted to make this doll as life-like as possible so the child could bond better with her and not see her so much as a doll but as a friend. And she is actually quite tall for a doll (over 2 feet!).

This video shows a child with the doll and discusses her clothing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q76u67fyJsk

Seems the child digs the doll.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 6:24 pm 

Just an update on the doll, as I have received her today!

The seller had said that her mouth didn't move when she talked. I gather that this was why she was going for such a low price. To fix her, I took my screw driver out, opened her up, took her old, loose o-rings out, replaced them with common Dollar Store elastic bands, and screwed her back up.

The whole process took no more than 5 minutes, and she is working like new! :D

If that seller had been able to fix her, Jupiter knows that she'd have charged about $25-50 more.

Thank goodness for mechanically inept people! :)

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 6:47 pm 

bedtime wrote:
The seller had said that her mouth didn't move when she talked. I gather that this was why she was going for such a low price.

To fix her, I took her old, loose o-rings out, replaced them with common Dollar Store elastic bands.

If that seller had been able to fix her, Jupiter knows that she'd have charged about $25-50 more.

Tank goodness for mechanically inept people! :)

Huh?....So do you consider the doll actually "fixed' with dollar store elastic bands and would you resell it as so?

Ken

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 6:59 pm 

This was a 1962 Tiny Chatty Baby doll that I restored last year, and subsequently gave it to my mother. The voice mechanism consists of a pull string, small vinyl record, turntable, metal needle, flat spring steel, belt, thin plastic speaker and governor.

Attachments:
Tiny Chatty Baby Restored (10-13-2018).jpg
Tiny Chatty Baby Restored (10-13-2018).jpg [ 269.39 KiB | Viewed 2012 times ]

Last edited by Blustar1 on Jul Sun 07, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 7:46 pm 

Tarpawns wrote:
bedtime wrote:
The seller had said that her mouth didn't move when she talked. I gather that this was why she was going for such a low price.

To fix her, I took her old, loose o-rings out, replaced them with common Dollar Store elastic bands.

Tank goodness for mechanically inept people! :)

Huh?....So do you consider the doll actually "fixed' with dollar store elastic bands and would you resell it as so?

Ken

Not at all. The doll is for me. But, if I were to sell it, I'd buy the proper o-rings and sell it as 'restored with new o-rings...'.

Quote:
This is a 1962 Tiny Chatty Baby doll that I restored last year, and subsequently gave it to my mother. The voice mechanism consists of a pull string, small vinyl record, spring, belt, styrene speaker and governor.

So many of these dolls (Chatty Kathy, I speak of) are selling on ebay for cheap as not working. As with Cricket, she almost always just needs to have an o-ring replaced. And the issue with Chatty Kathy is that you need to somewhat crack her open, as she is glued, to get to her voice-box. I'm betting that many people aren't willing to take the risk of breaking her.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 8:03 pm 

This is creepy on so many levels....

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 9:21 pm 

Mike C. wrote:
This is creepy on so many levels....

Yes, yes it certainly is.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 9:28 pm 

Weird. I bet it smells weird too.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 9:42 pm 

Just wait'll they make the robo-version Chatty doll. Not only can the eyes follow you, so can the doll! :shock:
-Ed

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 9:54 pm 

Ed in SoDak wrote:
Just wait'll they make the robo-version Chatty doll. Not only can the eyes follow you, so can the doll! :shock:
-Ed

They did create a re-release of Talky Tina, which is off of an episode of Twilight Zone where the doll is alive. Not sure if it will sell as it is so expensive: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pre-Order-Halloween-The-Twilight-Zone-Talky-Tina-Doll-Trick-Or-Treat-Studios/254280146298?hash=item3b34471d7a:g:HDYAAOSwZyJdF78s

They want $329.99 USD. for this new doll.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 9:54 pm 

bedtime wrote: "So many of these dolls (Chatty Kathy, I speak of) are selling on ebay for cheap as not working. As with Cricket, she almost always just needs to have an o-ring replaced. And the issue with Chatty Kathy is that you need to somewhat crack her open, as she is glued, to get to her voice-box. I'm betting that many people aren't willing to take the risk of breaking her."

It's almost always the governor belt and the pull string that need to be replaced (along with a good stylus and record cleaning), and a little lubing. Cracking her open is actually the easiest part by far. Now some professional doll restorers' abilities vary considerably in this doll's restoration as a few unfortunately happen to be quite rough in the cosmetic repair, but are nevertheless quite proficient with the voice box. Yet, for some reason or another, while others are extremely good with the cosmetic restoration of the doll, they just don't seem to have the knack with the voice box as the doll's voice level will noticeably deteriorate after they complete the repair.

The Tiny Chatty Baby doll restorers (such as me) all have their own methods, short cuts and trade secrets when restoring these types of dolls, and it can be quite rewarding too as a successful restoration of one of these dolls can typically fetch a price of $200 USD or more.

Last edited by Blustar1 on Jul Thu 04, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 9:57 pm 

Shades of Teddy Ruxpin, right down to the tape mechanism installed on the back.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 10:19 pm 

Here is a list of the 11 phrases that the new Talky Tina Doll by Trick or Treat Studios will speak. Virtually all of what the doll will say is quite nasty!

Attachments:
New Talky Tina Doll (11 Phrases).jpg
New Talky Tina Doll (11 Phrases).jpg [ 60.61 KiB | Viewed 1936 times ]
Talky Tina (By Trick Or Treat) December 2019.jpg
Talky Tina (By Trick Or Treat) December 2019.jpg [ 24.72 KiB | Viewed 1909 times ]

Last edited by Blustar1 on Jul Thu 04, 2019 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 10:31 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:
bedtime wrote: "So many of these dolls (Chatty Kathy, I speak of) are selling on ebay for cheap as not working. As with Cricket, she almost always just needs to have an o-ring replaced. And the issue with Chatty Kathy is that you need to somewhat crack her open, as she is glued, to get to her voice-box. I'm betting that many people aren't willing to take the risk of breaking her."

It's almost always the governor belt and the pull string that need to be replaced (along with a good stylus and record cleaning), and a little lubing. Cracking her open is actually the easiest part by far. Now some professional doll restorers' abilities vary considerably in this doll's restoration as a few unfortunately happen to be quite rough in the cosmetic repair, but are nevertheless quite proficient with the voice box. Yet, for some reason or another, while others are extremely good with the cosmetic restoration of the doll, they just don't seem to have the knack with the voice box as the doll's voice level will noticeably deteriorate after they complete the repair.

The Tiny Chatty Baby doll restorers (such as me) all have their own methods, short cuts and trade secrets when restoring these types of dolls, and it can be quite rewarding too as a successful restoration of one of these dolls can typically fetch a price of $200 USD or more.

I'll be adding 'Chatty Baby' to my list of searches. So far I've been searching for Chatty Cathy on Kijiji. And I'll likely go to you for advice when I find her and go about restoring.

Quote:
Shades of Teddy Ruxpin, right down to the tape mechanism installed on the back.

Yep, and I gather that Cricket came out the next year to grab a little bit of the talking doll market. Thing is that Teddy Ruxpin isn't really fetching that much, especially for the world's first talking tape + mouth & eyes moving doll. I'd say he gets about 2/3's or less of what a Cricket doll in the same condition would get. And since he's a bear, you really can't dress him like you can a Cricket doll; Cricket has so many different outfits that can be bought. She also has about 2 dozen different tapes, many covering a theme and coming with an outfit, and materials, too—cooking, outdoor play, indoor play, vacationing, partying, school... And the bond seems to be greater as the child can relate more to a human doll than a bear doll. All this, IMO, leads to people paying more for her.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 10:36 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:
Here is a list of the 11 phrases that the new Talky Tina Doll by Trick or Treat Studios will speak. Virtually all of what the doll will say is quite nasty!

I'll not be buying such a doll. The big reason is that she's battery-operated; I prefer pull-string for it's antiquity. There's something cool about having a non-battery-powered toy that can talk. Ever since I saw that episode of the Planet of the Apes where they go to the Neverland? or some such place with the buried Statue of Liberty and find the talking pull-string doll, I wanted one.

Last edited by bedtime on Jul Wed 03, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 10:37 pm 

I do have the Talky Tina Doll First Edition (as shown). In fact, I also have the Talky Tina Doll Colorized Doll, but it's still sealed inside the box.

Attachments:
Talky Tina (First Edition).jpg
Talky Tina (First Edition).jpg [ 263.41 KiB | Viewed 1934 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Wed 03, 2019 10:50 pm 

Attachment:
4e19ea182bc1b7257efc0de8c8636f76.jpg
4e19ea182bc1b7257efc0de8c8636f76.jpg [ 48.83 KiB | Viewed 1924 times ]

I don't like you

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 228 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next