Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 9:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Just bought the cutest talking doll ever? :D
PostPosted: Aug Tue 27, 2019 3:32 pm 

This Chatty Cathy blond doll arrived in the mail yesterday, and it's in exceptionally fine condition. As my mother had previously spoken for the doll, it will be given to her after the restoration. As you may notice from one of the photos, this 1960 Chatty Cathy doll has a cloth speaker grill which indicates that this was a first reproduction doll. This means that the hermetically sealed voice box was permanently cemented onto the doll's chest. As such, the restoration of the voice box has been described as "impossible" by some professional doll restorers. To access the voice box, the rear panel of the voice box will have to be completely cut open, and then the adventure will begin. I've never restored a Chatty Cathy pull string doll before so this is going to be a new experience. Perhaps if I was smart, I would just send this doll off to a professional doll restorer that I trust as I don't have any spare parts for the voice box on hand. One can expect that this first edition doll's voice box is pretty worn by now, and I've heard that the record inside the voice box is always found to be worn as well.

Well, in the meantime, I'l install a new pull string on the Tiny Chatty Brother blond doll today. Afterwards, I will give the doll's voice box some testing, and later seal up the seams.

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Front) 8-27-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Front) 8-27-2019.jpg [ 260.41 KiB | Viewed 808 times ]
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Back) 8-27-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Back) 8-27-2019.jpg [ 247.48 KiB | Viewed 808 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Tue 27, 2019 7:57 pm 

Ughhh!!!!! I did install the new pull string in the Tiny Chatty Brother blond doll's voice box today, but that pull string which I finally got from my usual supplier was too thin. What that does is to prevent the tone arm from swinging all the way back to the leading grooves of the record after the pull string is activated. Fortunately, I do have other pull string on order, and it's due to arrive in a day or two.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 30, 2019 4:20 pm 

Update: Due to the replacement speaker yoke on the Tiny Chatty Brother blond doll apparently being ever so slightly closer in proximity to the tone arm than the original yoke, the usual 50 lb braided pull string would fail sometimes in swinging the tone arm to the beginning of the record. This action depends solely on the friction of the pull string as it's being activated. Being that the discolored pull string which I was previously using was somewhat thicker in diameter (80-100 lb), I decided to use it again. A simple washing with a watery solution of Cheer powdered laundry detergent and Clorox bleach cleaned up the string so I was all set as far as that went.

While I was reassembling the voice box, I decided to use the original governor with the new felt pads instead of the replacement, and that governor worked splendidly. Fortunately, I was subsequently able to secure the compacted felted material which was needed. I believe that the material was something like 1/32" thick.

The yellow replacement record was obviously worn as the record contained pops, and the voice was not very loud. Unfortunately, this was all that I've had on hand. The main concern right now is that the stylus tends to accumulate a great deal of lint after some minutes of testing, and I'm not sure how I'm going to remedy that.

Attachments:
Tiny Chatty Brother Blond Doll (Testing)  8-30-2019.jpg
Tiny Chatty Brother Blond Doll (Testing) 8-30-2019.jpg [ 202.36 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Fri 30, 2019 11:23 pm 

One day the dolls are all going to come alive.... in the middle of the night and stare at you sleeping away....

PostPosted: Aug Fri 30, 2019 11:41 pm 

bob wilson1977 wrote "One day the dolls are all going to come alive.... in the middle of the night and stare at you sleeping away...."

As long as I treat the dolls (and especially the Talky Tina's) with care, I think that I'll be all right. However, my brother still keeps his Talky Tina doll inside his safe so hopefully there won't be any repercussions.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 31, 2019 11:44 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
One day the dolls are all going to come alive.... in the middle of the night and stare at you sleeping away....

Case in point:
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/atq/d/ ... 90867.html

PostPosted: Sep Sun 01, 2019 3:01 am 

Update: The discolored pull string that I was originally using, and in which I subsequently cleaned up, appeared to be the source of the excessive lint buildup on the stylus. As far as I could tell with my caliper, this pull string was actually white braided 150 lb fishing line. Being that no sporting goods store in the area carried anything larger than 20 lb test, I had to order a spool of white braided 150 lb fishing line on eBay today so I'll probably have to wait a week before that line arrives in the mail. Wow, I'm sure going through a lot of time, trouble and expense with this particular doll, but that's the way it is sometimes with pull string dolls sporting worn voice boxes.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 02, 2019 2:30 am 

Late in the afternoon today, I built up the nerve to work on the Chatty Cathy blond doll. As you can see from one of the photos, the Chatty Cathy doll has a hollow neck in contrast with the solid necks of the Tiny Chatty Baby and the Tiny Chatty Brother dolls. Also, the voice box on this early Chatty Cathy doll is obviously all sealed inside the plastic enclosure which is going to require a little more work in order to access the voice box.

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Head & Limbs Removed) 9-1-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Head & Limbs Removed) 9-1-2019.jpg [ 206.25 KiB | Viewed 724 times ]
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Hollow Neck) 9-1-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Hollow Neck) 9-1-2019.jpg [ 264.72 KiB | Viewed 724 times ]
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Seams Removed) 9-1-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Seams Removed) 9-1-2019.jpg [ 215.89 KiB | Viewed 724 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 11:06 pm 

Update: I removed the voice box back of the Chatty Cathy blond doll today, and of course, it's quite dirty inside. In addition, the voice box mechanisms of this prototype Chatty Cathy blond doll is obviously quite different from the later Chatty Cathy line of dolls, but the basic operation is nevertheless the same. I'll have to tidy things up in there, replace the belt, clean the record, clean the stylus, do a little lubricating and then check for proper operation.

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Back Of Voice Box Removed)  9-5-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Back Of Voice Box Removed) 9-5-2019.jpg [ 222.42 KiB | Viewed 693 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 1:14 am 

You could stick a Bluetooth speaker inside one of these and have some fun with house guests. :lol:

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 1:44 am 

Erich H wrote: "You could stick a Bluetooth speaker inside one of these and have some fun with house guests".

Yep, that's a possibility.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 4:50 pm 

I should mention the Ideal dolls, especially the Crissy family. While I'm currently putting some out for a garage sale, it brings back memories of these dolls. They are mostly Grow Hair dolls, but some talk, look around, move and groove, all from pulling a string. There is even one called Play N Jane that can throw a ball.
Names such as Crissy, Velvet, Tressy, Kerry, Cricket, Cinnamon, Brandi, Dina, Mia, Tara, and I even have a grow hair doll like Crissy from England called Sheena.
I even heard of a 21" doll, named Harmony that can strum a guitar and sounds come from changeable records.

Question:
I'm just starting to clean up a 1939 27" Mollye Bride doll. It was my late wife's and I want to spruce it up and give it to my daughter. It's very dusty, and the clothes are a little soiled, but otherwise in good shape. Well, except for the veil. A mild cleaning should bring them back to life. I will make another veil using the existing head band.

I was surprised to find that some of the doll skin is oily and sticky. Especially one leg. Yuck! I experimented on a small area with a mild dish detergent and water. It seemed to help, but it didn't fully cut it and it remained somewhat sticky. I think several cleanings will work?
I read online, however, where lacquer thinner was used with a great deal of success, but that sounds harsh to me? There is no paint or coloring in these areas that could be affected.
Any thoughts on how to proceed?

It's probably just a bad tube or something?
If it has a short, can you make it longer?

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 5:14 pm 

I've never run across something like that yet, but I have a thought for whatever it's worth. If the plastic leg isn't styrene, you might try heating up water in a kettle up to 180 degrees F, turn off the heat, add a little dish washing liquid, and dip only that plastic leg inside the solution for some three minutes.

Just to be on the safe side, check to see if that plastic leg starts to soften and flex after dipping it in the hot solution for a few seconds or so. I could certainly try something like this on the Chatty Cathy line of dolls with no problem whatsoever, but I'm just not familiar with your doll.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 12:24 am 

Update: I completed the restoration of the Chatty Cathy blond doll's sealed voice box today, and the doll only speaks only one complete phrase: "Where are we going?" I can also hear: "........love you", "..........my dress" and "..........house". Of course, the doll also speaks other phrases, but they sound rather unintelligible. Obviously, the record is very worn, but I suppose that's probably the rule rather than the exception with these early prototype Chatty Cathy dolls. On a positive note, at least the doll speaks a little bit so that's something in itself.

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Beginning Restoration Of The Sealed Voice Box (9-8-2019).jpg
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Beginning Restoration Of The Sealed Voice Box (9-8-2019).jpg [ 298.13 KiB | Viewed 636 times ]
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Voice Box Restored) 9-8-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Voice Box Restored) 9-8-2019.jpg [ 244.9 KiB | Viewed 636 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 1:05 am 

How Hard is it To Repair A Chatty Cathy doll? That depends on her body. 3,4 and 5 are easy to repair but 0,1,2 are not. The early
dolls all have closed voice boxes, meaning even if you get the body open the voice box inside her body is closed and GLUED shut and can be next
to impossible to open without damage to the box itself. At times I do get lucky and I can get it to pop open but most of the time I buy 2 dolls to fix
one. Meaning I have to cut the whole voice box out of the body. Destroy it on one doll cutting the box itself and on the other doll destroying the
body to get the voice box out whole to use in the first body. Plus once the voice box is out of the body, I can open it and repair it but I bet out of
every 2 only one is fixable. This is the reason you do not see very many of these dolls repaired. Plus once they are repaired they never talk very
loud and the record can be scratched up really bad. It cost me more in time and money to repair one of these dolls than it does any other and yet
she never sells for very much Unless she is a Prototype

This is what one doll restorer had to say concerning the prototype Chatty Cathy's sealed voice box that I repaired today. No, I won't destroy one doll to get another doll working like this person did. In fact, all of the doll restorers that I've been acquainted with will simply cut the back of the sealed voice box out like I did.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 4:12 am 

Update On Chatty Cathy Blond Doll: I found out later in the day that if I tilted the doll's body face down, the record will play most or all of the phrases exceeding well, and with excellent volume too. That's good to hear (excuse the pun). Now I'll have to see what I can do to remedy this.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 10:28 pm 

You guys saving and collecting these dolls, just remember one thing.
When the end of the Earth arrives, be it global warming, rising seas, thermonuclear war, or just climate change in general,
the dolls will survive and live on. They will mate with computers and become robotic. Then the world will never be able to recover
to a state inhabitable by humans, ever again.

Had the dolls been disposed of properly, this may not have been the ultimate outcome, but since they were not treated as the hazardous
materials that they are likely made of, the whole planet must suffer the consequences for eternity.

That, and they will be creepy forever.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 10, 2019 12:03 am 

Just remember one thing. This guy who get this 1959-1960 prototype Chatty Cathy doll's voice box working again with a record in nearly mint condition to boot, and together with a very nice outfit, would have no trouble at all in fetching close to $400 USD on eBay or Etsy for the doll.

I'm out of town today, but I actually wanted to do a little pondering on what the current problem with the voice box is, and how to solve it. More than likely, I'll probably have to place a very thin shim over the metal "vibrator" which is in contact with the speaker's yoke to compensate for the slight wear on the tone arm (which I think what is causing the problem). When I first opened the voice box, I found the tone arm wedged on some plastic molding which keeps the paper speaker held in place. That in itself could have caused the tolerances of the tone arm body to run out of parameter. With the voice box in such a state of disrepair, I suppose that it wasn't too hard for the former owner of the doll to manage to swing the tone arm out in left field.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 12:01 am 

Update On Chatty Cathy Blond Doll: Well, the doll's voice box was finally repaired earlier today, but it took another doll restorer, a die maker and I to accomplish it. The problem was that the tone arm was not swinging all the way back to the mechanical stop whenever the pull string was pulled. After a little discussion, the solution was simply to place a very small washer underneath the flywheel so now the voice box is working just fine. What was happening was that due to the flywheel being worn after all these years, the tone arm would catch on the record while the pull string was pulled. The inclusion of the small washer simply raised the flywheel out of harms way.

After giving this voice box the normal testing, I'm likely going to secure a couple of straps across the back cover of the voice box so that it can be easily accessed should servicing be required sometime in the future.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 11:05 pm 

Update: Well, the Chatty Cathy blond doll's voice box did not get through the normal testing period as the clutch eventually failed. The clutch will have to be taken apart and then repaired. Normally, doll restorers won't fool with this as they would simply fetch another clutch from a donor doll, or simply purchase a parts doll on eBay. I may have to get a Chatty Cathy parts doll on eBay, but I will see what happens.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 239 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next