Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 1:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Just bought the cutest talking doll ever? :D
PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 11:50 pm 

kc5gym wrote:
You guys saving and collecting these dolls, just remember one thing.
When the end of the Earth arrives, be it global warming, rising seas, thermonuclear war, or just climate change in general,
the dolls will survive and live on. They will mate with computers and become robotic. Then the world will never be able to recover
to a state inhabitable by humans, ever again.

Had the dolls been disposed of properly, this may not have been the ultimate outcome, but since they were not treated as the hazardous
materials that they are likely made of, the whole planet must suffer the consequences for eternity.

That, and they will be creepy forever.

I did the responsible thing.
All of the dolls in our house have been recycled into composite deck planking and are now serving man-kind in a useful fashion. :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Mon 30, 2019 1:37 am 

Update: The voice box of this prototype Chatty Cathy blond doll was finally repaired today. Working with this doll was difficult as the tolerances were unusually tight. To compound matters, the voice box itself was in very worn condition.
This partially explains why so very few of these prototype Chatty Cathy pull string dolls have actually been restored. Fortunately, the record inside this voice box was in very good shape. In fact, the sound is loud and clear. A working prototype Chatty Cathy pull string doll like this (along with a nice outfit) will fetch $350-$400 on the open market as a functional doll would be rare.

Summary of repairs: Since the spindle clutch was considerably worn, the three original 0.063" needle bearings were replaced with 0.073" needle bearings. In addition, being that the original governor's brake pads were worn as well, a donor governor with new brake pads was used in its place.

After the testing is complete, the back of the voice box will be sealed completely. Around Wednesday, the two doll halves will also be sealed, and the head will then be reattached. The doll will then undergo some cleaning, and then I will begin hunting for a suitable garment for the Chatty Cathy blond doll. Hooray!!!!!!!!!

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Voice Box Partially Sealed & Pull Ring Attached) 9-29-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Voice Box Partially Sealed & Pull Ring Attached) 9-29-2019.jpg [ 223.5 KiB | Viewed 962 times ]
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Voice Box Partially Sealed, Pull Ring Attached & Ready For Testing) 9-29-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Voice Box Partially Sealed, Pull Ring Attached & Ready For Testing) 9-29-2019.jpg [ 200.9 KiB | Viewed 962 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Thu 03, 2019 3:35 pm 

Well everything is now back together. The Chatty Cathy blond doll's hair now needs a little shampooing, conditioning and styling. In the meantime, I will hunt for a suitable outfit for the doll. As I mentioned before, a working prototype Chatty Cathy doll like this will fetch big bucks in the open market simply because such a doll would be incredibly rare. In this case, I will give this Chatty Cathy blond doll to my mother for her birthday.

I don't recommend that anyone attempt to repair a Chatty Cathy doll (and especially one with the sealed voice box) unless they gain a good deal of experience with repairing the Tiny Chatty Baby or the Tiny Chatty Brother dolls beforehand. As simple as these dolls' voice boxes may appear, they can be taxing to repair at times depending on their condition. This particular prototype Chatty Cathy doll with the sealed voice box has been described as impossible to repair, and there happens to be a good amount of truth to it. I was successful with the repair, but perhaps I was just one of the few lucky ones.

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Head Reattached) 10-3-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Head Reattached) 10-3-2019.jpg [ 285.67 KiB | Viewed 934 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Thu 03, 2019 9:56 pm 

This is a fascinating thread. Please keep the updates coming.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 8:04 pm 

Update: The white laced socks and shoes for the repaired Chatty Cathy blond doll arrived yesterday, and the garment for the doll is due to arrive in tomorrow's mail. Afterwards, I will bring the Chatty Cathy blond doll over to my mother's place, and hand her the doll. I think that she will be ecstatic (to put it mildly). Of course, my mother should be thrilled as she will be among the very few in the entire country with a working prototype Chatty Cathy doll.

In the meantime, I have been attempting to complete the restoration of the Tiny Chatty Brother doll (heretofore mentioned & pictured on Page 10). Today, I removed the previously installed replacement speaker that was taken from a donor doll, and then re-positioned the speaker as it was slightly off center.

Attachments:
Tiny Chatty Brother Blond Doll (Repositioning Previously Installed Replacement Speaker) 10-8-2019.jpg
Tiny Chatty Brother Blond Doll (Repositioning Previously Installed Replacement Speaker) 10-8-2019.jpg [ 250.11 KiB | Viewed 894 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 1:08 am 

Blustar1 wrote:

I don't recommend that anyone attempt to repair a Chatty Cathy doll .

Thanks for the not recommendation. I was just considering repairing a Chatty Cathy.
I have reconsidered and decided not to.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 2:22 am 

kc5gym wrote: "Thanks for the not recommendation. I was just considering repairing a Chatty Cathy.
I have reconsidered and decided not to."

Virtually all doll restorers will recommend that newcomers begin with the Tiny Chatty Baby and Tiny Chatty Brother dolls first. If you're going to restore one of these dolls, start with the Tiny Chatty Baby dolls first, and stay clear of the Tiny Chatty Brother dolls. The reason for avoiding the Tiny Chatty Brother dolls is that the heads on those dolls are somewhat smaller than the Tiny Chatty Baby dolls, and are consequently very difficult to reattach. In fact, it actually takes no less than two people to perform that task. Even then, it isn't something that I particularly relish doing.

If you should decide to jump ahead and restore a Chatty Cathy, avoid the Chatty Cathy dolls with the cloth speaker grills as those are the ones with the hermetically sealed voice boxes. Doll restorers tend to avoid those particular dolls as they're simply not worth the extraordinary amount of time, expense and effort. Even worse, a successful restoration of those prototype dolls is not guaranteed by any means as the voice boxes are typically well worn.

Last edited by Blustar1 on Oct Wed 09, 2019 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 2:44 am 

The prototype Chatty Cathy blond doll's restoration was expensive:

$64.45 Chatty Cathy doll & shipping
$47.00 Chatty Cathy garment & shipping
$13.19 White shoes & shipping
$7.45 White laced socks & shipping
$4.00 "O" ring
$1.00 Pull string
$.50 Felt pads
$8.00 Jeweler saw blades

Total: $145.59

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 3:49 pm 

Update: Well I handed the prototype Chatty Cathy blond doll over to my mother yesterday, and she will shampoo, condition and style the doll's hair. As you can see from the left side of the photo, the doll's wardrobe also came with two hair ribbons. On the open market, this particular Chatty Cathy doll could easily fetch $300-$400 as the doll does talk.

Attachments:
Prototype Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Awaiting Setting Of Hair) 10-9-2019.jpg
Prototype Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Awaiting Setting Of Hair) 10-9-2019.jpg [ 234.22 KiB | Viewed 838 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Tue 15, 2019 1:53 am 

My mother got around to styling the prototype Chatty Cathy blond doll's hair today so the doll is now fully restored. As I stated several times before, a talker like this would fetch big bucks in the open market as a working early Chatty Cathy doll is rare. That's why there is money to be made in the repair of these Chatty Cathy line of pull string dolls.

Attachments:
Prototype Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Fully Restored) 10-14-2019.jpg
Prototype Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Fully Restored) 10-14-2019.jpg [ 336.8 KiB | Viewed 808 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2019 4:22 am 

Update: The prior Tiny Chatty Brother blond doll that I spent some considerable time on could not be restored simply because the record itself skipped, and there were no suitable replacement records on hand. As such, I'll just use this one as a donor doll.

As can be seen by the photo, this is the new Tiny Chatty Brother blond doll that I received in the mail a couple of days ago. I purchased this doll on eBay, and it was a very good buy at only $19.00 including shipping. Close to noon today, I began working on the Tiny Chatty Brother doll. After carefully removing the doll's head and limbs, I quickly cut through the doll body's seams, removed the bearing frame, cleaned both body halves, cleaned the platter, cleaned the record, cleaned the stylus, replaced the pull string, replaced the governor felt pads, replaced the O-ring, applied lubrication, wound up the spring, and began the testing. Presto! The voice box passed with flying colors as everything was loud and clear. Yes, everything went quite quickly with this Tiny Chatty Brother doll as the voice box was in relatively good shape. About a half hour ago, I cemented the 5 plastic pins on the bearing frame in place so I'll let that dry until tomorrow morning. I'll test the voice box a little bit more tomorrow morning, and if I have time, I'll cement the two doll halves together. Since I will be out of town most of the time tomorrow, I'll attach the doll's head on Tuesday. After that, I will get the doll's hair styled, and then hunt for a suitable outfit for the Tiny Chatty Brother doll. I may decide to keep this doll for myself unless I get a special request from a family member.

Attachments:
New Tiny Chatty Brother Doll (Bearing Frame Cemented) 11-3-2019.jpg
New Tiny Chatty Brother Doll (Bearing Frame Cemented) 11-3-2019.jpg [ 206.67 KiB | Viewed 448 times ]

Last edited by Blustar1 on Nov Mon 04, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2019 5:07 pm 

Update: Upon further testing out the Tiny Chatty Brother's voice box after the bearing frame was cemented in place, an intermittent vibration occurred a short time later while the record was being played. Strangely enough, the vibration only happened when the doll's body was held in an upright position. After tightening up the spindle bearing this morning, the vibration still reappeared. The solution (or so it would seem) was to apply a little more "Super Lube" lubricant to the spindle and governor bearings. Since that time, I've been continually testing out the Tiny Chatty Brother's voice box, but the vibration has never resurfaced.

I'll keep testing out the voice box a little more this morning, and part of the day tomorrow. If everything is still working okay, I'l cement the two doll halves back in place sometime tomorrow afternoon. All I can tell you right now is that the voice is loud and clear.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 05, 2019 2:55 pm 

As you can see in the photo, the Tiny Chatty Brother doll halves have been cemented together. I'll let the adhesive cure until sometime later in the day. Afterwards, I will reattach the doll's head onto the body.

Attachments:
Tiny Chatty Brother (Seams Resealed) 11-5-2019.jpg
Tiny Chatty Brother (Seams Resealed) 11-5-2019.jpg [ 223.76 KiB | Viewed 410 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Tue 05, 2019 11:29 pm 

Well I reattached the Tiny Chatty Brother doll's head onto the body, and I also ordered a suitable outfit for the doll on eBay which listed at $14.99 & $4.00 shipping. The outfit itself wasn't entirely complete so I'll have to get out my 1924 Singer sewing machine and sew a couple of buttons on it. Of course, I'll get the Tiny Chatty Brother's hair restyled as well. If I sold the restored doll along with the outfit, I likely could get as much as $130-$150 USD for it as there's a sizable demand for a working Tiny Chatty Brother doll. However, providing that I don't get another special request from a family member (which may be likely), I'll probably keep this one as I don't have a Tiny Chatty Brother doll in my collection as yet.

Attachments:
Tiny Chatty Brother (Head Reattached) 11-5-2019.jpg
Tiny Chatty Brother (Head Reattached) 11-5-2019.jpg [ 255.13 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sun 10, 2019 5:16 pm 

https://www.trickortreatstudios.com/the ... -doll.html

Trick or Treat Studios e-mailed me a week ago, and said that they encountered some "unforeseen production delays" with the new Talky Tina doll (along with some other items). In fact, they said that the "current ship date" is now July 2020. With such a long delay time, they permitted me to cancel the two orders that I made for the doll, and I promptly did just that. For now, it's best not to order the Talky Tina doll until the doll is actually in full production, and up for sale.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 5:38 am 

Well I scrounged around for a couple of light blue buttons a few days ago, and then sewed them onto the Tiny Chatty Brother's overalls today. The overalls were part of the Tiny Chatty Brother's outfit which I purchased on eBay a couple of weeks ago. The seamstress who made up the outfit did make the button holes for the overalls, but left it up to the purchaser to obtain and attach the buttons. I will give this Tiny Chatty Brother doll to my mother tomorrow, and let her style the doll's hair as she sees fit (as this will be another one of her pull string dolls).

Attachments:
Tiny Chatty Brother With Outfit (11-14-2019).jpg
Tiny Chatty Brother With Outfit (11-14-2019).jpg [ 272.66 KiB | Viewed 259 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 4:08 pm 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/745138703/ ... ck=1&frs=1

I just happened to see this Tiny Chatty Brother doll that was featured on Etsy. Can you believe it? The doll is priced at $299.99, isn't in the best cosmetic shape and doesn't even talk. In fact, I know that the Tiny Chatty Brother doll includes the gift set along with the outfit. However, the doll might command such a price providing that it was a talker, but obviously it's not. Wow.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 4:27 pm 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/716910869/ ... rv-2&frs=1

I also seen this Chatty Cathy doll on Etsy too. It's priced at $224.95, doesn't have a particularly snazzy outfit, and it's a non talker to boot.

Heck, the prototype Chatty Cathy doll which I restored recently (and subsequently gave the doll to my mother) was in better condition than that (see photo), and it was a talker as well. Wow.

Attachments:
Prototype Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Fully Restored) 10-14-2019).jpg
Prototype Chatty Cathy Blond Doll (Fully Restored) 10-14-2019).jpg [ 336.8 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 5:26 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:
Well I scrounged around for a couple of light blue buttons a few days ago, and then sewed them onto the Tiny Chatty Brother's overalls today. The overalls were part of the Tiny Chatty Brother's outfit which I purchased on eBay a couple of weeks ago. The seamstress who made up the outfit did make the button holes for the overalls, but left it up to the purchaser to obtain and attach the buttons. I will give this Tiny Chatty Brother doll to my mother tomorrow, and let her style the doll's hair as she sees fit (as this will be another one of her pull string dolls).

Ummm, that looks like a baby bump to me. Or it's Earl after the second 12-pack that morning . . . . . 8)

Dan

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 7:25 pm 

Sparky Dan wrote: "Ummm, that looks like a baby bump to me. Or it's Earl after the second 12-pack that morning . . . ."

A baby bump or not, my mother was overjoyed when I gave her the Tiny Chatty Brother doll today.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 239 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next