Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 12:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Just bought the cutest talking doll ever? :D
PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 8:56 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:
Sparky Dan wrote: "Ummm, that looks like a baby bump to me. Or it's Earl after the second 12-pack that morning . . . ."

A baby bump or not, my mother was overjoyed when I gave her the Tiny Chatty Brother doll today.

As long as you're both happy, that's what counts. I never understood why people collect the things they do. Unlike me, with a few dozen radios and thirty running clocks . . . :lol: I'm glad that you enjoy working on the dolls, and people appreciate your skills and effort.

Gawd, do I hate daylight saving time. . . .

Dan

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 5:33 pm 

About a week ago, I purchased this Tiny Chatty Baby brunette doll on eBay for $19.00 altogether, and the restored voice box is now in the testing phase. Actually, I did experience a speed problem with the voice box initially as the record was turning somewhat too fast. Perhaps I applied a tad too much Shoe Goo when I installed new felt pads for the governor (part of the original felt pads were missing). In any case, I removed the new felt pads, and installed another set of new felt pads, and this time with a little less Shoe Goo. Believe me, there wasn't much Shoe Goo applied at all.
Afterwards, I cleaned up the rubber O-ring, and reassembled the voice box. As of now, the voice is normal (as well as loud and clear). One thing that I can tell you from experience with these pull string dolls is that the tolerances are relatively tight as it doesn't take much at all to throw the voice box out of whack.

As you can see from the photo, some of the follicles of the doll's hair are missing in the front. If I can't brush it out, I will likely use another head from a donor Tiny Chatty Baby doll.

Attachments:
Tiny Chatty Baby Brunette Doll (Voice Box Being Tested)  11-23-2019.jpg
Tiny Chatty Baby Brunette Doll (Voice Box Being Tested) 11-23-2019.jpg [ 233.6 KiB | Viewed 360 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Mon 25, 2019 2:33 am 

Well I just got through attaching the head of a donor Tiny Chatty Baby doll onto the Tiny Chatty Baby's torso since the original Tiny Chatty Baby doll's head was missing a few too many hair follicles. Instead of a Tiny Chatty Baby brunette doll, I now have a Tiny Chatty Baby blond doll. The voice box worked great except that the doll does not laugh, but there was absolutely little that I could do to remedy that. Other than that, the Tiny Chatty Baby doll speaks all of the other phrases. Now I'll have to set the Tiny Chatty Baby's hair, and look for an outfit for the doll.

Attachments:
Tiny Chatty Baby (11-24-2019).jpg
Tiny Chatty Baby (11-24-2019).jpg [ 235.74 KiB | Viewed 346 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sat 30, 2019 3:54 pm 

The Tiny Chatty Baby doll is now restored. As I mentioned before, the doll doesn't laugh, but there was little that I could do to remedy that besides risking ruining the record. In fact, I had no other record to replace it with. The doll does say all the other phrases as they're loud and clear.

Attachments:
Tiny Chatty Baby (Restored) 11-25-2019.jpg
Tiny Chatty Baby (Restored) 11-25-2019.jpg [ 278.7 KiB | Viewed 323 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 3:00 am 

Well I submitted a bid of $50.00 for this prototype Chatty Cathy blond doll earlier today, and the seller accepted the offer an hour later. Actually, a non talker Chatty Cathy doll like this would normally fetch around $45.00, but I added $5.00 to the bid since the doll was in excellent cosmetic condition. The seller originally was asking $65.00 for the doll, but $50.00 would have been my top offer. Altogether, it's going to cost me $76.73 for the doll.

This prototype Chatty Cathy blond doll (as some of you might know by now) is the one with the cloth speaker grill and the sealed black voice box. This sealed voice box is by far the most difficult, and by most accounts, impossible) to repair. In addition, it's definitely the most laborious and time consuming of all the Chatty Cathy line of pull string dolls.

As before, I intend on removing the back of the sealed voice box, and this in itself will take a great deal of time. As yet, there is really no good way of cutting the back of the voice box out. Most professional doll restorers would simply use a razor knife to cut the back out, and if I was actively in the business, I would likely do the same. The major disadvantage to that is that the razor knife will tend to leave a jagged cut, and that's incompatible with the sealed voice box's tight tolerances. In fact, it isn't uncommon at all for a professional doll restorer to go through 2-3 prototype Chatty Cathy dolls before they can finally get one voice box to work.

Unless I can find a better way, I'll manually cut through the back of the voice box by hand as I previously did, and using nothing but my two fingers and a good supply of jewelers saws. Using this method, it will take several hours to cut the back out of the voice box to be sure, but if will make the repair a great deal easier in the long run.

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy.jpg
Chatty Cathy.jpg [ 43.71 KiB | Viewed 302 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Fri 06, 2019 2:47 pm 

The protottype Chatty Cathy blond doll arrived in the mail yesterday so perhaps I'll get started with the doll this morning. Time permitting, I'll remove the head and the limbs from the doll. I don't normally get too much done on Fridays and Saturdays as I'm usually out of town.

As you can see from the second photo, this Chatty Cathy doll is nicknamed the prototype doll as it contains the cloth speaker grill. As such, the doll also has the sealed black voice box which has been described by some doll restorers as impossible to repair. This particular doll is certainly the most difficult, pains taking and time consuming of all the Chatty Cathy line of pull string dolls to be sure.

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy Prototype Doll (12-6-2019).jpg
Chatty Cathy Prototype Doll (12-6-2019).jpg [ 243.56 KiB | Viewed 270 times ]
Chatty Cathy Prototype Doll (Photo 2) 12-6-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Prototype Doll (Photo 2) 12-6-2019.jpg [ 279.74 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Fri 06, 2019 5:07 pm 

As seen by the photo, I removed the Chatty Cathy prototype doll's head and limbs from the torso today. The speaker's cloth grill got just a tad damp while I was removing the last limb, but it'll dry out fast enough. One thing that I will mention again in removing this Chatty Cathy's prototype head from the torso is to take very special care not to break the flange since the flange on this particular doll is hollow. As such, it may be very difficult to secure the broken part of the flange back on, and expect the head to remain in place afterwards. One can break the flange of the other Chatty Cathy line of pull string dolls without a particular problem as those flanges are solid. However, this one is not.

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy Prototype Doll (Head & Limbs Removed) 12-6-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Prototype Doll (Head & Limbs Removed) 12-6-2019.jpg [ 180.32 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sat 07, 2019 6:00 pm 

Well I just through cutting the seams open of the second Chatty Cathy prototype doll that I will restore. Now I will have to go through the arduous task of removing the back cover of the sealed black voice box, but all of that will have to wait to at least tomorrow.

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy Sealed Voice Bx (12-7-2019).jpg
Chatty Cathy Sealed Voice Bx (12-7-2019).jpg [ 240.26 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Mon 09, 2019 5:41 pm 

Update: I spent part of the day yesterday trying to find a better method of removing the back cover of the Chatty Cathy voice box including the use of a razor blade attached to a jig saw and a miniature burr. However, both methods proved fruitless. My present method is hardly the greatest as it simply takes far too much time and effort, but it does guarantee a good shot of restoring the sealed voice box as the tolerances are very tight. On the other hand, there is no known good way of accessing the voice box either as each method has its advantages and disadvantages. As I will be out of town the rest of the day, and perhaps tomorrow as well, I should have the back cover of the sealed black voice box removed by Wednesday.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 10, 2019 8:01 pm 

Update: Well I just got through cracking the prototype Chatty Cathy's sealed black voice box open. What I have to do now is to clean it up in there, and check things out. After everything is determined to be ship shape , I will install a new pull string and O ring.

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy Prototype Doll (Voice Box Accessed) 12-10-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Prototype Doll (Voice Box Accessed) 12-10-2019.jpg [ 587.45 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Wed 11, 2019 12:32 am 

Update: This prototype Chatty Cathy restoration went fast as soon as I was able to gain access to the voice box innards today. Fortunately, the voice mechanism wasn't worn much at all, and the doll's voice was loud and clear with negligible surface noise. As soon as it became evident that the voice box was working well, I applied a few 'spot welds' of super glue around the perimeter of the back cover to the voice box. Now I'm in the testing phase, but I'm not expecting any problems.

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy Prototype Doll (Voice Box Restored-Testing) 12-10-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Prototype Doll (Voice Box Restored-Testing) 12-10-2019.jpg [ 246.17 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Wed 11, 2019 12:57 am 

Blue, while I find the pictures of dismembered dolls disturbing I have to say that your skills are superb. And for some reason I keep following the thread, in spite of being totally uninterested in dolls! Keep up the good work and sharing it.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 11, 2019 4:44 am 

madlabs wrote: "Blue, while I find the pictures of dismembered dolls disturbing I have to say that your skills are superb. And for some reason I keep following the thread, in spite of being totally uninterested in dolls! Keep up the good work and sharing it."

Thanks for the compliment madlabs! As I mentioned several times previously, these prototype Chatty Cathy pull string dolls can be mean customers to repair. As of now, I have the voice box completely sealed up, and I also installed a nylon retainer over the governor's bottom bearing (as can be seen from the photo). If you will notice from a previous photo, the governor was originally held in place by a short strip of metal which was secured by two plastic retainers that were situated on opposite sides of the governor. What this metal strip did was to keep the governor from shifting whenever the doll was laid on its back. If that retainer was absent, the doll would tend to speak much slower than normal. Since those plastic retainers had to be cut out during the process of removing the back cover, a substitute retainer had to be improvised. In fact, this was what I had to do with the first prototype Chatty Cathy doll that I restored..

Well, the restored prototype Chatty Cathy doll's voice box seems to be working fine, but I have to do some work on the doll's limbs a bit before I cement the torsos together. Those limbs were sort of loose in the sockets so I'll have to tighten them up a tad.

Attachments:
Prototype Chatty Cathy Doll (Voice Box Sealed & Governor Retainer Installed (12-10-2019).jpg
Prototype Chatty Cathy Doll (Voice Box Sealed & Governor Retainer Installed (12-10-2019).jpg [ 245.1 KiB | Viewed 142 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Fri 13, 2019 2:41 am 

Somehow I think someones are having fun with the forum and that's OK. :lol:

PostPosted: Dec Fri 13, 2019 3:26 am 

Nuke wrote:
Somehow I think someones are having fun with the forum and that's OK. :lol:

?

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Fri 13, 2019 4:33 am 

madlabs wrote:
Blue, while I find the pictures of dismembered dolls disturbing I have to say that your skills are superb. And for some reason I keep following the thread, in spite of being totally uninterested in dolls! Keep up the good work and sharing it.

+1.

Being easily bored and all too often lazy, I like vicarious learning. Something I'd have no interest in getting involved in myself, whether it's 1950's radios, cooking, or talking dolls, I get to follow along thru someone else's eyes and effort.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 13, 2019 12:03 pm 

A troll or 2? :lol: Took a bit of effort.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 13, 2019 1:30 pm 

Different strokes....

While restoring talking dolls is not my cup of tea, Blustar1 obviously gets a lot of satisfaction out of it, and has a knack for it.

He did not start the thread, but he has the most posts here.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 13, 2019 5:40 pm 

Ugh! I picked up a cold a few days ago so I've been under the weather lately. When I pulled the string of the Chatty Cathy's voice box a couple of days ago, the string did not return once. However, after a light tapping on the voice box, the string then returned. Since then, I have never been able to replicate the fault so perhaps the voice box needed a little 'breaking in'. So what caused it? Well, from my own experience with these prototype Chatty Cathy dolls, the governor's shaft likely made some contact with the turntable. You see, with this design, the governor's shaft is separated from the turntable by only a whisker or two. Yet, with the repaired voice box sealed up, that wouldn't seem probable. Regardless, the voice box has been working fine since then. As I mentioned several times before, these prototype Chatty Cathy dolls' voice boxes can really be mean customers to repair.

When I received the prototype Chatty Cathy doll, the legs were very loose in the sockets, and from the photo, one can see why. Obviously a small piece of styrene plastic was missing from the bottom torso. At this time, I'm not sure how I'm going to remedy it. I can perhaps fabricate another piece of styrene plastic to replace the missing part, but there isn't much room in there at all to buttress the missing piece.

This is a good thread, and I'll tell you why. As I mentioned several times before, there is money to be made in the repair of the Chatty Cathy line of pull string dolls as such dolls that still talk are rare. A quick surf through Etsy will give you a fair idea of what prices that these restored dolls are now commanding. In addition, this thread will provide tips and information to other ARF members who are considering repairing these dolls' voice boxes.

Attachments:
Chatty Cathy Doll (Bottom Torso)  12-13-2019.jpg
Chatty Cathy Doll (Bottom Torso) 12-13-2019.jpg [ 259.19 KiB | Viewed 20 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 239 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12