Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 16, 2019 8:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Choo Choo
PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 3:45 pm 

Having never seen one in a photo where one can see an entire side I made an ass out of myself just assuming it was a conventional locomotive. I know there are other smaller engines that are also articulated, Shays come to mind. And Climax.
Cab forwards don't live in most of the country, so a relatively few people would have seen them in operation.

>>>I saw this - •Restoring 4294 to operating condition was once considered. However, the standard impediments prohibited this from further consideration.

SO TRUE! No place to run it.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 25, 2019 12:08 am 

Mark D wrote:
Having never seen one in a photo where one can see an entire side I made an ass out of myself just assuming it was a conventional locomotive. I know there are other smaller engines that are also articulated, Shays come to mind. And Climax.
Cab forwards don't live in most of the country, so a relatively few people would have seen them in operation.

>>>I saw this - •Restoring 4294 to operating condition was once considered. However, the standard impediments prohibited this from further consideration.

Mark D.

All the production cab-forwards were 4-8-8-4s. I've never heard of a Shay or Climax with the cab in front although I have seen a photo of a small Italian (I think) cab-forward.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 25, 2019 12:53 am 

Jim Mueller wrote:
Mark D wrote:

Mark D.

All the production cab-forwards were 4-8-8-4s. I've never heard of a Shay or Climax with the cab in front although I have seen a photo of a small Italian (I think) cab-forward.

No, I don't think they ever had a front cab on those logging engines.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 25, 2019 3:29 am 

Cab forwards were mostly a Southern Pacific thing. It was to keep the crew from getting asphyxiated in tunnels.

Logging roads would have had no use for a cab forward.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 25, 2019 3:36 am 

Jim Mueller wrote:

4-8-8-2s, I think. 2-8-8-4 running backwards, more-or-less, with tender flipped back around to trail the engine, and running on oil, which can easily pumped to the "front".

Brett

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 12:00 am 

Shucks, I missed it. As it turned out, it passed about 10 miles from my place yesterday, but it seems I am calender challenged. I thought that location was today. Today, however, it was about an hour away for a 3 hour tour. Had I not been tied up with animal/weather prep I would have driven to Marshal to see it, for sure.

One of our local news guys (the Meteorologist??) took a camera crew and watched it go by near here.

https://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/l ... niversary/?

Sorry I missed it.

-.-. --- .-.. -.. / ---.. ----- --...

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 1:33 am 

Tony Wells wrote:
Shucks, I missed it. As it turned out, it passed about 10 miles from my place yesterday, but it seems I am calender challenged. I thought that location was today. Today, however, it was about an hour away for a 3 hour tour. Had I not been tied up with animal/weather prep I would have driven to Marshal to see it, for sure.

One of our local news guys (the Meteorologist??) took a camera crew and watched it go by near here.

https://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/l ... niversary/?

Sorry I missed it.

Coming near here Wed. Going to try to catch it on a straight away out in the country.

Rob

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 1:03 am 

Well, I got to see Big Boy today! At a crossing way out in the country, I guess it
was doing about 60 mph.
I took a 26 second video (that's how long it took to pass) I'm going to try to
get a friend put it on youtube.

Oh, the whistle was incredible! But didn't show it on the video.

Rob

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 9:22 pm 

That unit certainly makes a better display in action than languishing at a static museum display. That's great advertising for the mighty UP.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 2:16 pm 

19&41 wrote:
That unit certainly makes a better display in action than languishing at a static museum display. That's great advertising for the mighty UP.

Best PR thing they could have ever done. Ed Dickens and crew have been great with the public.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 9:36 pm 

So, back to the original topic; The choo choo that I fire at times.
Our organization runs 'Santa' trains during the first couple of weeks in St. Paul, MN. that origin at SPUD (Saint Paul Union Station) Ends at Santa's North Pole, which is a few blocks away. Passenger coaches are decorated for the event. Parents bring their kids to see Santa. Santa rides from SPUD to the North Pole and entertains the kids.
This goes on all day and into evening. I don't really participate in that part. But normally I do help out by keeping the engine hot overnight. I have fired going one way or the other at times, but prefer not to. So, this December I will be on the engine over night at our shop, which is located at 401 Harrison Street, Minneapolis, 55413. Tuesday, 12/3 and 12/4 upon which it will run over to SPUD. I will be on it over night that night on Dec. 14, which I think is the last night it will operate before going back to the barn.
Anyone who lives in the area and wants to get up into the cab of an operating steam locomotive, get in touch with me. PM me here and I'll give out specifics.

Mark D.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 51 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3