Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 11, 2019 6:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Spellcheck
PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 12:14 pm 

Quote:
how the word is used in context
Takes a next-gen grammar check to deal with that word. Without looking it up, believe it's Capitol-ized when referring to the specific building, and at the very least, the record company. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 2:17 pm 

Playing with words reminds me of the following teaser I saw in a cafe once.
C M R Pigs ?
M R No Pigs
S M R Pigs
O S M R Pigs

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 3:45 pm 

M. R. Ducks in Ocean City, MD used the same thing. Just substitute "Duck" for "Pig".

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 1:13 am 

ABCD snakes?
LMNO snakes.
OSAR, CDBDIs?

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 7:54 pm 

Harold Wright wrote:
I am told that some internet watchdog called "spellcheck"?? is responsible for a red underline of a word "it" thinks is spelled incorrectly. Is this true? If so "spellcheck" needs a history lesson. I posted the word "morse" (relating to code) and the red underline popped up. Who the heck do think they are?

Harold

You are correct. It is also a classic example of the limitations of modern internet. Limitations because ultimately programmers appear to be not clued up. Most of my spelling according to software is incorrect because in Britain spelling differs. The same happens with South America and mainland Spain. Programmers at the very least ought to know this. According to software "lampost" is supposed to be "lamppost". In reality it is an open choice. Personally I never hear people pronounce "p" twice and say "lamppost." In mainland Spain everyone uses "conductor" for "driver" but in Chile "automovilista" is used. Both are correct. If software designers don't realise English has a variety of spellings in places like Jersey or Wales or Scotland and Ireland then how can other I.T. information be reliable? My experience is much of it isn't. I have had issues with Russian software too. I am often asked to type some digits into a box but there are two sets of digits and no clear instructions. Good job I know how to bypass that software.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2