Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 05, 2019 3:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Has kerosene always been this expensive?
PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 5:34 am 

Hello all,

I recently purchased a used 23000 BTU dyna glo kerosene heater for my garage. I'm actually quite happy with it as it starts to heat up this badly insulated space almost immediately. A gallon of kerosene lasts about 8 hours which is pretty good I think. On my search I ruled out electric heaters as the old wiring in this house can't take it and propane was my second option but I would have had to also buy the propane tank. This thing was available locally with someone hoping to get rid of it for cheap and since all the video reviews I watched talked about how they payed cheap for a gallon of K1 kerosene, I figured this was my best option.

Overall I'm very glad with the performance, the issue is that as it turns out kerosene is very expensive where i am. I can't seem to find it any cheaper than about 11 dollars for 1 gallon. :shock: I do not like that at all! Considering I'm in my workshop fairly often for at least 4 hours that means every use costs me around 6 dollars. If I'm in my garage 4 times a week that's already 24 dollars spent on heating in just one week. I thought this was supposed to be a cheap alternative! Not only that but I'm having a hard time finding the stuff, the local big box hardware stores aren't stocking it yet until it gets colder and the only place I was able to find it was a family owned hardware store that was down to their last gallon of it. There is a large station here that sells propane and advertises kerosene but after calling them up it seems they no longer sell it either.

This thing is gonna be too expensive for me to run, is propane a cheaper alternative? Is karosene this expensive where you're at?

Post subject: Re: Has kerosene always been this expensive?
PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 7:06 am 

Check gas stations. Propane suppliers often carry kerosene.

About 25 miles from here, i found a station via google search

Tractor supply has 5 gallons for $40. Looks like the a few locations south of Chicago.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 8:36 am 

Even at 40 dollars for 5 gallons the price seems a bit steep to me. Some of the videos I watched mentioned 3 dollars per gallon which is why I'd gone for the kerosene heater. Could it be that at a pump it's cheaper? Will be trying to find another propane seller. Several gas stations show up when I try to search for kerosene but when I call none of them actually do sell kerosene.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 11:27 am 

Here in the central region of upstate NY, the average price of kerosene is about $3.40 per gallon.

https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/Researchers- ... ene-Prices

The gas station where I buy my gas grill propane ($18 fills a 20# tank) also sells kerosene. I don't know which is more cost effective for heating.

Dave

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 12:02 pm 

Don't buy kerosene, premix, or anything like that in a store. Gas station.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 12:35 pm 

Gas station around here has it 2-4 bucks a gallon depending on oil prices.

find it at the pump!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 1:19 pm 

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas.

Kerosene heaters should not be left unattended, especially when sleeping. A kerosene heater, as any heater that uses organic fuel, can produce dangerously high amounts of soot and carbon monoxide when running out of oxygen. Failure to follow safety precautions could result in asphyxiation or carbon monoxide poisoning.

Detectors: kidde carbon monoxide
https://www.google.com/search?q=kidde+c ... IQ_AUIEigC

My school buddy James was working late in his father's garage one night. At some point he decided to lay down on a camp bed.
He never woke up. He was 15 years old.

Greg.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 2:03 pm 

I have an older Corona 23k btu kerosene heater that I keep on standby for when the power goes out and I don't feel like going out to start the generator in the middle of the night.

Kerosene from fuel oil dealers is getting hard to find around here-most have switched to red-dyed(non taxed) ultra-low sulfur diesel(DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE ULS DIESEL IN A PORTABLE HEATER,CARBON MONOXIDE LEVELS ARE TOO HIGH)

WE only have one gas station reasonably close and one Agway,slightly closer,that has a kerosene pump.I just bought 5 gallons at Agway for $4.20/gallon.Tractor supply has it for $39 for five gallons.

One advantage to the Tractor Supply cans is that it doesn't have the red dye in it like it does at the pump(it's dyed in NH,anyway).Some folks will tell you that the dye will gunk up your heater's wick a little quicker than normal.I can't say as I've noticed that,myself.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 2:08 pm 

If you worked in aviation you could get jet fuel for nothing with the right connections. Any fuel that comes off a plane apparently won't go back on. At least in the military the planes would overflow into big drums as they were fueled at night and the heat of the day expanded it. The overflow was waste. Maybe they won't reuse it commercially if it has been in the plane too long? I dunno. They have defueling but they are very picky about fuel issues on jets. Any potential for contamination and it is considered no good.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 2:36 pm 

Its about $3 a gallon in these parts. We run a Kero-Sun as a back up source of heat when temps go into the single digits. I have a 275K BTU multi-fuel torpedo for the garage. I have CO detectors in the house and garage but they have yet to register anything at all while the heaters are running.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 3:07 pm 

Use diesel fuel instead. You can buy it without paying the road tax, which means it isn't colored red. That's what I've been doing for years. If you live in a state that doesn't sell the non-road tax, then pay the road tax. Still probably cheaper than what those prices above on the thread are.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 3:15 pm 

$11 is about right for the boutique "odorless" stuff - like KleenHeet - that is just the stuff for indoor kerosene lanterns as it burns with very little odor. Unlike regular kerosene, which over time is about on par with the local Cat Lady's home.

Regular K1 should be a whole lot cheaper. Jet A or JP8 would be fine, if you can get it, fuel samples for example are not returned to the aircraft. This can add up to quite a lot of hazmat, basically. You can be sure some tightwad has already glommed onto that angle and will oh-so helpfully cite chapter and verse why you are not allowed to use it. Just keeping you safe, understand.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 4:29 pm 

Back in 1959 it was 15 cents a gallon, I used to get 5 gallons for my neighbor
in the apartment for her kitchen stove, I had all I could do lug that can 3 city blocks.
Of course I was 16 at the time but as I recall I think gas was 25 cents a gallon too. :D
Those were the GOOD old days.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 4:43 pm 

Impossible to find at any gas station around here. The cheapest for me is to go to either Tractor Supply or one of the lumber yards where its sold for around $40 for 5 gallons.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 5:42 pm 

I can remember when fifty cents would buy you more than you could carry off.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 6:07 pm 

As Bob said, you won't find it as most gas stations. Look for a Cenex if they have them around Chicago - outlying areas might have one if there are farms around. That's where you'll find kerosene or at least off road only diesel fuel, which is so nearly the same that it will work for whatever you're using it for. Or, a tractor supply as suggested above.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 6:57 pm 

I feel that kerosene has for whatever reason has gotten dramatically more expensive over a short time period. I'm only 42 and all while I was growing up the stuff was cheaper than gasoline. We would take several 5 gallon yellow plastic tanks to the station and fill them up for between 10-15 cents a gallon. We used it in my Dad's large salamander forced air kero heater for his workshop. For others in our area it was a fuel of choice because it was so cheap. It was common for folks to have large 500 gallon tanks that sat outside their houses hooked up to indoor kerosene stoves. The stuff we used did stink though. It would give you a headache. The K1 stuff doesn't hardly smell at all and burns more cleanly. It doesn't really get that cold here but I do have a Kerosun wick heater to knock down the chill in the winter in the garage. The designs have gotten way better: there's a large metal mesh above the wick that acts like a catalytic converter and after its warmed up all you see is a orange glow with no flame. No smell and if I fill the tank it will easily last me a month or so.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 8:24 pm 

"$11 is about right for the boutique "odorless" stuff - like KleenHeet - that is just the stuff for indoor kerosene lanterns as it burns with very little odor."

It's exactly right for a gallon of kleen heet from HD, as I bought two last night.
For lanterns. And yes it has almost zero odor.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 8:29 pm 

Supply and Demand. Years ago Kerosene was used for many purposes but the uses have dwindled due to environmental concerns. Now it is pretty much a fuel used in retro lamps. Kerosene was always about a third the price of gasoline and every gas station carried it.

DM

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 8:42 pm 

The last hurricane that passed through here, I went to find some kerosene when most of the power was out. I got 3 gallons at about $6 per. Now I see the Klean Heat fuel I had been using is over $11. I can't imagine inflation hitting that hard. Why is the other fuel worth over $25? I can't imagine what benefit it possesses.

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=klean+heat+ ... 8EB57983AC

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 78 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next