Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 1:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Has kerosene always been this expensive?
PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 8:56 pm 

Well guys I think I'm done with this heater. It seems for whatever reason that the kerosene from the gas station burns much lower than the stuff from the jug. Dont know why. I was wondering if maybe the wick had gotten shorter since my last dry burn and that this was possibly the real reason behind the issue but today I bought a brand new wick for it at home depot and I have the same problem.

The only thing I found which makes a difference and gets me a higher flame with this new fuel is if I "dip" the wick a few times by hitting the shut down button and raising it back up to maximum 2 or 3 times, from there the flame grows larger and stays larger. The hardware store stuff is much to expensive to keep this up.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 7:14 pm 

Just as an update guys, I ended up buying a Mr Heater like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH18CH ... B0054WH796

MUCH better! Has radiant heat so I can sit near by it and be warm instantly without letting the room warm up first and without needing a fan to direct the heat towards me, much longer lasting fuel life, cheaper fuel, and does a fantastic job of heating. In one hour it raised my garage 15 degrees on a 32 degree windy snowy day. Keep in mind this garage is drafty and not very well insulated so if I got some of that under control it would do even better. Not sure how much the fuel life will give me but I'm sure it's going to be much cheaper to feed than the kerosene one. Box says 72 hours but I'm sure that's on the low setting, even with that filling up the 20lb propane tank (supposedly they only fill them up to 15lb now) costs 14 dollars and should lasts for a good while more than a tank of kerosene. There is also level settings from low to high that give me the option to regulate the heat, on the kerosene one it's one setting fits all.

Very happy with this purchase and I highly recommend this heater to you guys who need one. Nope not a paid sponsorship, just glad to have found the solution. Should not have wasted my time.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 7:21 pm 

Propane radiant heaters are very good.
Be advised that your heater is not rated for indoor use. If your garage shop is sufficiently drafty, hopefully you are venting out enough carbon monoxide and letting in enough fresh air.
Be careful about sealing the draft leaks too tightly.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 7:29 pm 

If you haven't yet, a smoke/CO detector would be a good investment in your safety.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 8:59 pm 

Yes I have put up a CO/smoke detector.

I will be trying to cut down the draftyness but even then I highly doubt it will be sealed enough to ever cause an issue with oxygen/co2. The garage windows are very drafty, they are the type that look like blinds with multiple panes of glass that open up, door jams, window frames, etc are all quite unsealed. I am in a separated part of the garage from the bays where the cars are and this area has two door ways, one wide. Both these door ways except for plastic sheets and some space blankets are also a source of draftyness.

Either way if those kerosene heaters managed to get indoor rated I can't imagine this propane heater is any less safe. I imagine they avoid going through the trouble of getting the indoor safe rating to lessen the possible lawsuits.

By the way another great advantage is the lack of stink! The kerosene is both smelly in operation and in loading fuel as well as messy.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 11:29 pm 

Portable propane heaters do spew carbon oxide, just as your kerosene heater does, or did. However, not so much. You should always have some ventilation when you're working inside with a portable propane heater. Same as with kerosene. However, from what I read above, you might already have enough ventilation just with the leaks.
I work at times in a very large building that also has lots of unintended ventilation, and it's a good thing that it has that unintended ventilation because in winter the only way we get any relief from the below zero temps with VERY LARGE 'portable' (pretty big and heavy to be portable, but they can be moved) propane heaters.
I would venture that you can use a smaller portable propane heater in your case. But you might want to set up a forced draft in the area where you work. Use it as deemed necessary.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 1:09 am 

Makes one wonder how all those propane fork lifts operate safely in small warehouses.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 4:51 am 

I wonder how they determine indoor or out door use only. Several years ag I purchased one of the buddy propane heaters to use when I was fishing in the Sierras . It works well in a tent trailor but there is a lot of air leakage. I believe it was rated for indoor use though. I remember that there was a firm that made propane radiant heaters for big RVs . You may want to check a RV supply house. I do not know if it has to be vented though. The picture I remember is it was installed on an interior wall. They may be a little costly as a lot of stuff for RVs seem over priced . Tom

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 1:08 pm 

This has puzzled me over the years too, when you consider the thousands of un-vented gas and propane range tops and ovens that get installed in peoples homes.

Range tops and ovens all have open flame burners though, where most of the space heaters use the glowing radiant elements.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 3:33 pm 

Mike Toon wrote:
Makes one wonder how all those propane fork lifts operate safely in small warehouses.

I personally have never been inside a warehouse that isn't drafty as all get out.

processhead wrote:
This has puzzled me over the years too, when you consider the thousands of un-vented gas and propane range tops and ovens that get installed in peoples homes.

Range tops and ovens all have open flame burners though, where most of the space heaters use the glowing radiant elements.

A typical range burner puts out between 5,000 and 12,000 BTU's; an oven around 17,000. A propane heater is probably at least twice that.

There have been cases of people dying of CO poisoning by trying to heat their home by leaving their gas oven running with the door open. When cooking, the oven is often on for just an hour or two. People can get in trouble by leaving the oven on all night, causing the CO to slowly build up while everyone is sleeping.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 4:11 pm 

The heater the OP bought can be adjusted between 6-18K BTU. Unless his shop is tightly sealed, it shouldn't present any problems. Opening an exterior door for a few seconds would dump a good deal of CO out of the room, since I believe it's heavier than room air and pools near the floor.

Dan

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 8:13 pm 

SparkyDan wrote:
The heater the OP bought can be adjusted between 6-18K BTU. Unless his shop is tightly sealed, it shouldn't present any problems. Opening an exterior door for a few seconds would dump a good deal of CO out of the room, since I believe it's heavier than room air and pools near the floor.

Dan

I was wondering about the density of CO too.

As it turns out, carbon monoxide is just slightly less dense than air, and distributes evenly around the room.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 9:38 pm 

[/quote]

As it turns out, carbon monoxide is just slightly less dense than air, and distributes evenly around the room.[/quote]

I stand corrected, Paul. Doggone it, this is the SECOND time I was wrong this year. Arrrgh. My credibility has now been flushed. . . . :oops:
But that's good to know. Now I do.

Dan

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 2:51 pm 

At 18,000 BTUs i'd say this propane heater is actually fairly high on the power level as far as cabinet propane heaters go. The kerosene one was 23,000 and that seemed like a lot to me. To go even higher you go into propane heaters that are wall mounted or just regular bolt down garage heaters that go to the gas line. Then there are those cannon shaped types. At the maximum power level the heater still kind of struggles to bring the garage up to a comfortable temperature which speaks about the lack of insulation and draft. Seems to depend a lot on whether or not it's a windy day. Either way I'm very happy and it's doing the job! Thet radiant heat makes up for the time it takes to get the shop to temperature.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 6:18 pm 

SparkyDan wrote:

As it turns out, carbon monoxide is just slightly less dense than air, and distributes evenly around the room.[/quote]

I stand corrected, Paul. Doggone it, this is the SECOND time I was wrong this year. Arrrgh. My credibility has now been flushed. . . . :oops:
But that's good to know. Now I do.

Dan[/quote]

Dan, I remember that first time you were wrong this year. That was the time you thought you were wrong, but actually turned out to be right. :D

Last edited by processhead on Nov Wed 13, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 9:45 pm 

Nothing gets past you guys. . . :lol:

Dan

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 5:34 am 

In my days in Illinois I lived in a drafty house with a coil oil heater in the kitchen. In the winter I helped stapling plastic coverings over the window and stuffing every crack we saw outside. Now days I would use caulking. Many years ago I helped put double pained windows in the house and resided it. That made a big difference. Also I think we stuffed the walls with crumpled paper if we could get into it. During the winter I would wake up and see a quarter inch o ice on the window by me were I slept I think if I worked in my garage I would insulate the hell ( no pun intended) out of my garage. Tom

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 5:20 pm 

And then there's this alcohol stove.

Fast forward to 18:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg91VsButWE

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 78 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4