Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 26, 2020 12:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Happy Is Me - Favorite TV Station ON The Air Again
PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 4:07 am 

It's back. The station went from RF 33 to RF 24. Signal strength seems about the same. Now for some good TV again.

My favorite TV station is off the air for upgrades related to the upcoming channel repacking. It's a PBS station (WDSC) so they can afford to shut down.

The station carries the MHZ network which transmits a lot of European shows with English sub-tittles. Most of these are cop shows and very well acted, some so that you almost forget you are reading the dialog. One that I especially liked and was in progress before the shutdown is an Italian series called "The Mafia Only Kills in Summer". In spite of the tittle this is not your usual good vs bad guy show. It is the story of a family living in Sicily when the Mafia almost completely took over the island and has a lot of humorous as well as serious situations.

Oh well, if their projections are correct there are only a couple of days until they are back on the air and I can watch some decent TV again.

RRM

Last edited by Retired Radio Man on Nov Mon 18, 2019 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Woe Is Me - Favorite TV Station Off The Air
PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 6:26 am 

One Vermont statiin changed channel on Oct 24th,and then I rescanned and found them, but then I lost them soon after. I thought tyey were being swamped by closer adjacent channels.

But I rescanned today, and there they were, nice and strong. So 26 channels (well some are subchannels). The onky thing missing is the Vermont ABC station (with 3 subchannels) but tgey've been weak here since tge change to digital. They will repack in the spring, and I'm hooing that will.improve reception.

Before the 24th the Vermont NBC station disappeared, no notice. But they had to reduce power to make it safer for tower work by the CBS station.All seem stronger today, so I'm hooing I.lost CBS because they weren't running full power.

So I'll be able to watch the oarade on the 28th.

Michael
Michael

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 3:48 pm 

At least yours came back.... WQED in Pittsburgh gave me a decent signal before the repack when they were high band VHF. After, when they went to Channel 4 they are GONE! And yes, I did try a VHF Channel 4 Yagi cut to frequency so it is not a matter of Low band versus high band. I tried contacting them and got no response so apparently they don't care about viewers, they only want contributions on pledge breaks!

Fortunately though I have PBS out of West Virginia available except they don't carry the World sub channel.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 4:00 pm 

Try:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +in+Summer

At least you can "catch-up" on what may have been missed.

\Don't know what is going on with PBS channels overall. Local Providence WSBE has moved, at least according to their continued notices to re-scan. I have cable so all that happened was some default station filled the slot, on and off. Now it seems WSBE is back...

Chas

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 8:44 pm 

I have the impression that TV stations care little about over tye air viewers.

When Canada went digital in 2011, one local tv station went off the air at midnight for weeks but nothing on the website and rarely an on air announcement just before tge turn off. Another station turned off tye analog transmitter a couple of days before the changeover, and no notice on air or at their website.

The recent repacking of Vermont stations was similar. The CBS station did have notices on their website, but I didn't see a prominent banner. The NBC station was weak because of tower maintenance, but no notice. Oddly, it carries the METV subchannel, and tye METV website had a message (presumably just seen by people who set tge NBC station as theirs). One of the two PBS stations was supposed to change channel, but other than a third party site, I'm not sure if it happened or not.

A lot of tv and radio websites seem to think their primary role is to deliver news, not details about their programming or maintenance.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 2:03 am 

mblack wrote:
I have the impression that TV stations care little about over the air viewers.

The way people are cord cutting, they may regret that. More and more people are using OTA and streaming for their viewing pleasure. I cut my cable bill from $134 a month to $40. I use a Firestick and pay for Prime with Amazon, but I paid for Prime before I cut the cord. I rarely use Amazon video sreaming, there is so much other free stuff.
I have installed several free APKs (apps) on my Firestick.

Mikek

Post subject: Re: Happy Is Me - Favorite TV Station ON The Air Again
PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 7:10 am 

it's back. The station went from RF 33 to RF 24. I had to re-scan since 24 is the virtual channel for WUCF (23 RF) and my converter box continued to go to virtual 24 when 24 was entered directly. Re-scanning starts the whole process over again and all is well. Not a moment too soon since I can hardly watch regular TV due to more and more stupid commercials, not to mention lousy programming.

Happy me,

RRM