Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 29, 2020 9:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheap Airless Sprayer?
PostPosted: Dec Fri 06, 2019 12:12 pm 

I need to paint the inside of a Jukebox cabinet with some paint I had mixed to match the OEM color.

Brushing isn't going to cut it, so I was thinking about getting this ultra low buck airless sprayer from Amazon.
It actually has decent reviews, and if I only get one or two paint jobs out of it it would be okay with me.

Anyone here used one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Yome-Electric-Ad ... 30295&s=hi

There's also this one for $10 more that appears to be identical except for the brand.

https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Plated-Ad ... hi&sr=1-17

Post subject: Re: Cheap Airless Sprayer?
PostPosted: Dec Fri 06, 2019 2:42 pm 

Clean it after each use and you may get more use out of it than you think. Neighbor has one like it and used it to paint 300' fence several years in a row.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 06, 2019 9:43 pm 

Well I went ahead and ordered it, at worst I'm out $20, at best it'll save me a lot of time & trouble.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 08, 2019 12:39 am 

Those are not airless spray guns but HVLP. I would use a fine mini roller and brush to paint the inside of a cabinet using Benjamin Moore Advance paint.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 08, 2019 1:37 am 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
Those are not airless spray guns but HVLP. I would use a fine mini roller and brush to paint the inside of a cabinet using Benjamin Moore Advance paint.

As long as it's self contained I don't care much, I didn't want to fiddle with hoses and regulators. I'm not sure what the paint is, I took the guy a sample, told him what it was and said match it.

If I could find a rattle can with the right color I would have used that, but there just isn't anything close, it's a very pale blue.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 08, 2019 2:28 am 

Is this the same kind of gizmo as the Wagner sprayers that have been around for decades?

RRM

PostPosted: Dec Sun 08, 2019 2:48 am 

Nope, the Wagner cup guns were airless using a little piston to pump paint out a very small tip at high pressure to atomize the paint. These are a new generation of HVLP that use a small turbine to produce an air stream to atomize paint. They work best with thin materials like stain and lacquer. I was a painter for 40 yrs doing industrial, commercial and residential work in and out of the union.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 08, 2019 6:48 am 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
......... I was a painter for 40 yrs doing industrial, commercial and residential work in and out of the union.

Then you'll appreciate this: The owner hired a professional to paint an apartment building I once lived in. I went over to talk to him one day and, to say the least ,he was not a happy fellow. He was holding one of the Wagner sprayers that he had planned to paint some shutters with. One of his helpers had used it last. He did not clean it at all. I don't know what happened to him.

RRM

PostPosted: Dec Mon 09, 2019 4:06 am 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
Lou deGonzague wrote:
......... I was a painter for 40 yrs doing industrial, commercial and residential work in and out of the union.

Then you'll appreciate this:...
I don't know what happened to him.
RRM

No I don’t... but I can guess what happened to the sprayer ;)