Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 15, 2019 3:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Direct TV
PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 5:25 am 

Is there anyone on here that has Direct TV and recently has gotten a letter saying you have to upgrade your receiver and pay $200 per receiver? They say it is because of the major TV networks going to HD. They also said I would have to buy new TVs that have HD. I got a lot of run around from them with no real answers. Now they have turned off the receiver in the space room. We are considering disconnecting from them all together, the cost are just to high! Anyone else run into this?? Thanks

Linda

Post subject: Re: Direct TV
PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 6:39 am 

Don't know if this will help but cutting the cable was one of the best things I ever did. Put up an antenna in the attic space and get 76 channels over the air. :D

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 7:59 am 

Have not received that yet. But I'm wondering about them after my recent experiences.

I ordered a replacement remote. Was charged fifteen dollars for it. And was told that the remote was a newer design, would look different than the original.

It arrived, I could not get the programming done. So I called in, went to two levels. Was told that if I had any problems to call back. It seemed to work. Well until the next day. So I called in again.

This time the guy was in the U.S.,could speak English with a clear phone line also, unlike the noisy line I had before. Turns out that the remote they sent was not compatible with our TV box and the original type of control was still available and was not replaced by the one they sent out.

And the person stateside also said that we were under a equipment policy and I should not have been charged for the remote. He was issuing a credit for that charge.

We will see how much longer it will take to straighten this whole thing out, including getting my credit.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 9:57 am 

Linda, do you get OTA TV signals? That's one alternative, another is Dish Network, and lastly CATV if it's offered in your locale. If DTV D/C'd one of your receiver's, I would suggest cancelling them & stopping any recurring payment immediately.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 11:06 am 

If you have high speed internet, streaming services like Pluto (free) and Sling (cable channels, monthly fee) are nice alternatives. OTA, as others have mentioned as well is the least expensive....

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 11:07 am 

You can't do worse than AT&T for ANY service. They're letting their landlines rot. They're unresponsive and unethical. Examples:

Currently selling "5G-ready" which are not at all. How can it be "ready" when the US standard is not even established?

Sold "Uverse" cable substitute which never did work right. Gave up, bought DirectTV.

Just got popped by the Feds for selling "unlimited" mobile data which in fact was 90% throttled. The settlement calls for a fractional percent rebate to customers so snookered.

Every service (except perhaps POTS) is sold by contract. Which means you are obligated to pay them 1yr at the subscription price followed by another year at twice that, whether it works or not. You only have 2 ways out; pay the disconnect charge (hundreds), or discover the shortcomings within ~10 days of "signing" and cancel. If you "signed" by voice only, the agent can-- in fact, is instructed to-- lie about anything and everything to get you hooked. If you "sign" in person, bring an attorney with you. They're that devious.

I had AT&T cell with their Samsung phone, worked "about par" for cell; unintelligible a lot, disconnected some. Then I moved and it would not stay connected longer than 2min. I called tech; it hung up on him 12 times. He finally admitted the tower was logged "unsuitable for voice" and was not scheduled for repair. Meanwhile they're charging me $50/mo for what should be premium voice-only service which they knew was unsuitable for that purpose.

I'm fairly convinced AT&T's deliberate incompetence and chicanery is the reason alternatives get away with jacking their prices, like Charter/Spectrum just did to me from $184 to $214, not at a switchpoint from 'promotional' to 'standard'.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 2:00 pm 

I would cut my cable TV immediately if it were not for one little "gotcha". I receive many on-air broadcast channels but, besides occasionally watching a few of these channels, I like to regularly watch the cable-only news channels. I can do that on my computer via streaming from their websites but, in order to do so, I need to be a subscriber to either cable TV, a satellite service, or a TV streaming service that carries those channels. None offer cable news channels without having to take a lot of other stuff that I never would watch.

Dave

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 2:45 pm 

As tbone said, best thing I ever did was cut my ties with DirecTV.
I got punched by lightning almost two years ago, and they said a new receiver would be $$$. So I dropped them, worked over my off air antenna, and haven't looked back. Sure, I miss TCM, and the antics of Moonshiners, and some of the car related series, but after the initial shock wore off, I'm fine with what I can get now.
Incidentally, DirecTV kept offering me incentives after the fact - $300 credit on one year re-up; reduced monthly fees; free new HD receiver ... pretty hard to resist! But, I'm now saving say $100 a month, and I might be getting out of the recliner a little more!
Dan

P.S.: I had been with them since we were selling them (under the RCA name) for $699.95 plus install. That's a long hard habit to quit!

Last edited by Yarehobbiesso$ on Nov Mon 11, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 2:55 pm 

On my to do list for the week is to dump Direct TV after many years. I signed up with them during Desert Storm one for cable news coverage and have had them since but they have gone from being passively to actively annoying. Just have to figure out which streaming service provides the best soccer coverage for my daughter :)

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 3:58 pm 

My experience with Direct TV was outrageous.

A dear friend of mine passed away and I was one of his personal representatives with his estate (along with his 84 year old brother). When I called them, the first thing that I told them was that he passed away and I was his representative and could send documentation of it. I could barely understand the person on the other end. She kept trying to get me to move the service to another location. After telling her several times that he had died, she kept telling me that this conversation was being recorded and that she didn't want to get into trouble.

Needless to say, I said that I didn't care about her or Direct TV. I just wanted to get the service shut off and a final bill. Eventually after two hours, I hung up with NOTHING being resolved. The were hanging on like bull dog not wanting to shut off the service.

I called back, got a gentleman, who didn't have an accent and it got resolved in 20 minutes. Direct TV will rot before I ever connect to them.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 4:12 pm 

A spokesperson for AT&T recently said that they have no interest in operating a satellite TV service. He claims they only bought it for the customer base which they want to convert to their streaming service. Does that tell you where their mind (what mind?) is? Apparently it has never occurred to them that if those people wanted a streaming service, and had broadband available to them (40% of the country does not), they would have already switched. Meanwhile their largest stock holder has told them they must sell DirecTV but who is going to buy it? Dish doesn't have to, they can just wait for DTV to fail and then cull the people who still want satellite TV. DirecTV is the Titanic and it's already hit the iceberg, that happened when AT&T acquired it.

FYI - DirecTV lost 1.4 million subscribers year to date while their streaming service lost an additional 168,000 subs. I guess that moving DTV subs to streaming isn't working out so well for them.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-wants-to-move-directv-customers-to-streaming-services-like-att-tv-hbo-max/

https://www.multichannel.com/news/att-told-by-hedge-fund-to-sell-directv

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/28/tech/att-elliot-management-deal/index.html

Then there's the lawsuit:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/17/att-faked-directv-now-numbers-lawsuit-alleges/

Larry

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 9:32 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
I would cut my cable TV immediately if it were not for one little "gotcha". I receive many on-air broadcast channels but, besides occasionally watching a few of these channels, I like to regularly watch the cable-only news channels. I can do that on my computer via streaming from their websites but, in order to do so, I need to be a subscriber to either cable TV, a satellite service, or a TV streaming service that carries those channels. None offer cable news channels without having to take a lot of other stuff that I never would watch.

Dave

There are a number of free news channels on the ROKU stream;
https://blog.roku.com/free-news-channels

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 10:02 pm 

rocketeer wrote:
A spokesperson for AT&T recently said that they have no interest in operating a satellite TV service. He claims they only bought it for the customer base which they want to convert to their streaming service. Does that tell you where their mind (what mind?) is? Apparently it has never occurred to them that if those people wanted a streaming service, and had broadband available to them (40% of the country does not), they would have already switched. Meanwhile their largest stock holder has told them they must sell DirecTV but who is going to buy it? Dish doesn't have to, they can just wait for DTV to fail and then cull the people who still want satellite TV. DirecTV is the Titanic and it's already hit the iceberg, that happened when AT&T acquired it.

FYI - DirecTV lost 1.4 million subscribers year to date while their streaming service lost an additional 168,000 subs. I guess that moving DTV subs to streaming isn't working out so well for them.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-wants-to-move-directv-customers-to-streaming-services-like-att-tv-hbo-max/

https://www.multichannel.com/news/att-told-by-hedge-fund-to-sell-directv

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/28/tech/att-elliot-management-deal/index.html

Then there's the lawsuit:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/17/att-faked-directv-now-numbers-lawsuit-alleges/

Larry

When I began streaming, I went with Direct tv now and found there were only 2 or 3 channels worth anything. A few months back, I looked into their channel lineup, and they have removed the 2 or 3 worthwhile channels as well. Sling is pretty aggravating, but at least there are things to watch.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 10:18 pm 

Unless you must have the NFL Sunday ticket, I’d dump them immediately and go with one of the options identified above.

I used to subscribe to direct tv and call to cancel every year. They would always offer some great deals to stay. Assume they still do.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 10:36 pm 

I would love to disconnect my cable. I have an OTA antenna but I don't get as many channels as others do. It wasn't cheap. It's an Antenna Graft. It's disk shape and the antenna rotates inside. I get about 16 channnels. How do others seem to get 50 to 75 channels. What kind of antennas are they using?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 11:58 pm 

lucky01 wrote:
I would love to disconnect my cable. I have an OTA antenna but I don't get as many channels as others do. It wasn't cheap. It's an Antenna Graft. It's disk shape and the antenna rotates inside. I get about 16 channnels. How do others seem to get 50 to 75 channels. What kind of antennas are they using?

You need to be in a area near a large city. I live about 20 miles outside the center of Atlanta. I use a directional antenna that has a built in rotation motor and an amplifier. I can get most of the stations on offer and they are HD. That is except for the ones that broadcast old material. The antenna cost around $36.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 12:38 am 

You OTA guys, are you doing any recording for later viewing? If so, what mechanism are you using? I've been with DTV since '93 or so, and although their offerings have broadened, naturally the cost has grown disproportionately. If not for recording, and a few special channels, I'd ditch it for OTA, even though I'd be rather limited in viewing options. My daughter MUST have her NASCAR, for example. So there are two channels unavailable OTA. No broadband here, so it would seem I am rather stuck.

-.-. --- .-.. -.. / ---.. ----- --...

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 1:06 am 

We bailed out on DirecTv, and then cable, keeping it only for internet. My son and I, with the help of one of his friends, put up an OTA antenna. It gets local channels from two cities, most in HD. We have a big DVD collection, so we can watch a lot of movies from stock; we also stream from Netflix and Hulu.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 1:47 am 

lucky01 wrote:

This is the antenna I have. I needed a bi directional one cuz I have channels coming from South Bend and Chicago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXQO00K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 2:05 am 

Tony Wells wrote:
You OTA guys, are you doing any recording for later viewing? If so, what mechanism are you using? I've been with DTV since '93 or so, and although their offerings have broadened, naturally the cost has grown disproportionately. If not for recording, and a few special channels, I'd ditch it for OTA, even though I'd be rather limited in viewing options. My daughter MUST have her NASCAR, for example. So there are two channels unavailable OTA. No broadband here, so it would seem I am rather stuck.

I have a Magnavox (Funai) DVR/DVD/RW recorder. I can record a DVD and erase it for the next program or make it permanent.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next