Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 11, 2019 6:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Direct TV
PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 2:24 am 

DierectTV was a scamming, thieving, over charging, double billing, no-moral company before AT-T bought them.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 2:48 am 

Apparently a good fit.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 2:58 am 

canning direct tv in 2008 and then cutting cable in 2018 were the best things I ever did.

they are a racket and will find every possible way to increase that bill bit by bit.

I used to pay 50 bucks per month for direct tv back in the day. I received 200-300 some channels. it was the best unbelievable deal in town.

by 2008, they changed the plans around and to get all the channels I received before the "repack" of plans, I had to get the the top tier plan which now put my bill over 100 bucks.

nope

cable tv used to be 79 a month for the basic 80 channel lineup. I sucked it up until the bill finally crept over 120 per month and then I said forget it.

pay tv is an absolute racket and they seem to have it "fixed" so one pays well over 100 bucks per month to watch the "regular" catv channels anymore.

again, nope

steve

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 3:47 am 

I have a bundle with Spectrum, at about $150 a month now (they recently raised the rates). I figure between internet, phone, and CATV with a tier to watch TCM, each service is costing around $50; I can live with it (cause I ain't really got no choice O/W).

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 11:43 am 

I've literally saved thousands of dollars by cutting the cord. To address some of the concerns I've read or heard

Channel Master sells a DVR for over the air use which doesn't require a fee for the schedule. I have two of their older model and they work very well.

Many streaming options to replace cable channels, such as Hulu with Live TV, YouTube TV, Sling etc., if you must have certain channels. No contracts, costs average about $40. a month.

Many free streaming channels that offer an impressive amount of content. Pluto, Tubi, Roku, Vudu, and others also offer many free options.

Your library may sponsor streaming channels such as Kanopy and Acorn. If you look into their catalog you may find they also offer a good selection of DVDs.

I believe you'll see Direct TV lose it's exclusivity contract for NFL off market games as soon as next year or at least when their contract expires in 2021 and other streaming options will become available.

As more people cut the cord large telecom and entertainment companies will jump into the streaming fray. This will fragment available content into competing services, but the competition will help keep the prices of each service low and it will be your choice which, if any, you subscribe to.

If you have a dish on your house, take down the dish and use the mast for an antenna. Once properly aimed, and with the addition of an amplifier, your house will be wired for TV in every room you once had the dish service.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 12:38 pm 

I may be an outlier, but I've had, so far, not much trouble with DirecTV for many years. I did have one dispute where they wanted to charge me $99 to send a tech out and re-aim the dish. I offered to cancel the service, since it's THEIR dish that needed aiming, and after being switched to a supervisor, won that battle rather easily.

Tip: Never call one of these services if you are not at your desk doing other things. I was on hold for probably 40 minutes lmao. THEIR 800 number, so who cares.

I'm a bit upset with them right now for a $30/mo cost increase, that has me looking into Spectrum, and possibly switching back to DISH. I'd left DISH ages ago over some billing dispute they could not resolve. Oh well .... let them sink of their own volition. When I called to complain about the cost increase, the operator actually admitted that they were losing millions of customers. I wonder why ....... ;-)

My main issue with Spectrum is that if I make that switch, then ALL my "lifelines" will be with one provider .... landline phone, internet, and TV. Cell is still Verizon though.

............it used to be so simple........

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 4:24 pm 

I must also be an outlier. I've found the customer service to be quite good, at least with the guys here in Tucson. I changed over to HD about two years ago and spent a total of maybe 10 minutes on the phone with the local DTV customer service guys. They scheduled my upgrade service for the next day, showed up on time, did the upgrade, set up the programming for my new receiver, changed the cables from my new dish to the house, and left all within about an hour. I've never had any issues.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 2:58 am 

I cut the cord going on a year ago. I have an Amazon Firestick (actually 3).
I have installed Several APKs (apps) on the Firestick. The one I use most is
Mobdro, it has most of the stations that I got when I had cable. The streaming
is not perfect except when it is, but has occasional short stutters or freezes.
I also have PlutoTV, Cyberflix, Amazon. They have almost any TV series you can think off
list by season and episode. Also thousands of movies you might have saw in the theaters.
I don't miss cable, and also save $100 a month not paying for it.
There are many more streaming services than the ones I mentioned.
Getting info on how to set all this up is getting more difficult as Youtube is removing or hiding the
people that make videos describing who, what, where, and how to do it. But the info is on the internet
so you can find it.
Mikek

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2