Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 08, 2019 5:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Snow Tires All Year?
PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 4:28 am 

Snow tires are noisy. When I'm riding a bicycle, I can hear a truck or car coming by the sound of the tire tread.
Some trucks sound like they're running snow tires all year around, probably are.

AWD, you have 4 tires to change every 6 months.
This year, I've left the snow tires in the shed, as they are getting worn. Saving them for one future trip to the interior, where we will need them to get over the mountain pass.
All season radials are ok here except on an occasional extreme day.
We can avoid driving on those days, and usually do that anyway.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 11:03 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:
Snow tires are noisy...
Not all. From my previous post: "The good news: my new snows (and my wife's) run quieter than the worn old ones!"
My new snows are Continental "VIKINGCONTACT 7", they are no noisier than the Summer tires. Wife's are: "KUMHO IEN KW 31". Both on cars... no comment from me on noisy truck tires!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 11:38 pm 

Remember the studs they use to put in snow tires. Sometimes they would come off on clear roads and hit the wheel well. Slowed you down a little until you realized what it was. Weren't they suppose to help on ice. I think they were finally outlawed. I came to Florida in the early 70's so no more tire changes in the winter. It's only snowed this far south once in the middle 70's. The girls had a ball for a little while and the little we got was gone by 9AM. Off to school,.No snow day.

Freeman

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 12:02 am 

Better cornering is a safety feature, as the best wreck is no wreck.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 1:49 am 

I had snow tires ordered specially for my Mustang. Only got two for the rear drive. They made a big difference. With some weight in the back or trunk even better. Only wish I had done that years earlier. Don't have that car anymore, I really miss it. The positraction was great to have too, as long as you're not too heavy on the gas. It saved me from getting stuck many times.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 3:16 am 

I haven't used snow tires in decades. For around here, all-season and FWD or AWD work just fine. Don't miss having to change them and the expense.
If I lived in the mountains or further north I might feel differently.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 3:47 am 

I admit to running my snows all year in this most recent year. I have rotated them sooner than typical, and my daily commute is only about four miles right now. The cost of another set of rims and tires is presumably greater than a drop in mpg and a perceived noisier ride...Safety aside. They are certainly squirrely on the interstate in a monsoon. :roll:

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 3:09 pm 

Because my 2013 Kia Soul is the base model, it came with narrow tires. Because narrow tires are better in snow, the cars does very well in snow with all-season tires. A car with wider tires, like the 1991 Toyota Camry I had, was pretty bad in snow with all-season tires.

When I had my 1965 Rambler American, I always ran snow tires on the back all year, and never found radial snow tires to be noisy. Because I only drive 6,000 miles a year, I don't see the need to change the tires twice a year, and if I did they would have probably die of dry rot before I wear them out. That Rambler drove around quite a few front-wheel-drive cars that were stuck in the snow.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 2:51 am 

There is also all weather tires. They do some good in all seasons, but not all that well for any of the seasons. Still, if all you do is drive to the grocery store, church, electronics store, bar and back home again you don't need much because aren't likely to be going more than 30 mph.

That's what I have on my Suburban. It had Firestone's when I got it, but they wore out fast.
I was visiting my son in Fargo. He has an auto repair business there. He looked at my tires and put on four new tires of his brand and refused pay. I'll get even.

They are TOYO tires. Not made in Japan as the logo seems to imply. They're made in one of the Scandinavia countries, I think Norway. He told me, but I forget.
They're M&S tires and they work just fine in all weather. They've been through two winters and two summers now and are about to go into a third winter. Tread is still 3/8" deep. One would think that with the way I drive I would have scrubbed more than that off by now. I'm talking front tires here. When I make a turn from one road to another I don't usually slow down much. I just turn the wheel and add power. Saves time.
Doesn't work in winter though. But it is a bit tough on tires, yet these are taking it well.

I would recommend TOYO tires, however. I have always been a Goodyear guy since the '60s. I never bought anything else after I had tried Michelin, Pirellie (Italian and not sure of spelling) and other over seas brands. They all fell short of what I was looking for. The Goodyear's did what I wanted. They held to the road no matter what except ice which nothing grips. That's why they were worn down on the Suburban.
For the Suburban, which is totally gutless, those TOYO's should last for the rest of the life of that vehicle.
Truly, though, I'm very happy with the TOYO's and would recommend them on any car or SUV or truck. They have something good for all types.

Y'all should at least check them out when buying tires.

Mark D.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2