Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 26, 2020 11:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Why I'm Fed Up With Asia Imports
PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 7:56 pm 

The reason is simple. Zips that rip off the track after a brief period. Umbrellas that break with the slightest breeze. Cycle pumps that rupture and wouldn't inflate a baloon. On that theme I recall those bike adaptor hoses never gave me trouble years ago. These days they fall apart. Quality has been foresaken. In fact for me the last straw was a sewing kit I bought. The thread had no logical end to pull out and the needle hole was so microscopic, I couldn't see how it was possible to thread it. As consumers we're being palmed off with rubbish. I really miss the Golden Era of Japanese electronics and motor industry. The TV sets, VCR players and cameras were pretty decent. Maybe this was because a corporation had a reputation to maintain and competitors. Such as Panasonic, Sanyo, Hitachi. People had careers there and high incomes which kept quality high. I'm not saying "all" imports today are substandard. Some products made in Korea or China are sometimes a bit more expensive but not too bad. However, lots of imports are lousy. Portable DVD players I found especially puny. Average life-span was one year and I have a tube radio of 1947 that still works. Usually either the screen goes or more commonly the disk isn't read. Cycle imports especially affected me. Weak air valves that leak and tires that puncture more easily. We ought to rebuild domestic manufacturing.

Post subject: Re: Why I'm Fed Up With Asia Imports
PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 8:32 pm 

fact, they make junk. Funny about the sewing needles, I have some of those too, the hole is so small I'm not sure what
thread could possibly go through it, it really is the size of a human hair.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 9:02 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
... Funny about the sewing needles, I have some of those too, the hole is so small I'm not sure what thread could possibly go through it, it really is the size of a human hair.
You mean no camel could get through? :-)
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 9:17 pm 

Same old lament about the quality of foreign made products being so cheap. They could be made better here If we only made enough money to pay our workers to make such products. We can't because we don't work for such wages to make our own products. That economic cycle broke long ago, about the time Sony made its first TV that could use a human stomach as it's pedestal.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 9:19 pm 

I can remember, in the late '50's, "Made in Japan" meant "junk". In 1962, I was in a photography class where the teacher said that photographers used to joke that Japanese camera lenses were made out of "coke bottle" glass, but now (1962) were beginning to make much better quality lenses.

I talked with an administrative member of the local surplus store, who visited China some time ago, he said some of their products are very fine quality, but, you pay more for them.

I believe some state side companies, who have products made in China for them, either do not adequately describe the quality they desire, or, others, to maximize profits, accept the cheapest, poorest made products.

I believe there are some good products available from China, properly described as to expected quality and inspected (QA'ed), at the same time less expensively manufactured than can presently be made in the U.S.A.

I dread to think what will happen to our aircraft industry if the Chinese decide to enter this market.

Charlie

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 9:32 pm 

It's even very difficult to find made in USA auto parts anymore. For example, I recently installed new wheels and tires on my Thunderbird, and wanted to install the best quality valve stems that I could find, so they don't quickly dry rot, leak, etc. I searched and searched for made in USA ones, and found the Milton Industries company in Chicago who's known for manufacturing pneumatic tools and it appeared they also still manufactured their valve stems in the USA. I ordered a set of them direct from Milton and when the vintage looking box arrived it said "made in China" :roll: Maybe I should have just ordered the cheap ones from Amazon to begin with :evil: https://www.miltonindustries.com/tire-h ... ox-10.html

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 9:56 pm 

The sewing kit actually caused an outburst of anger. A "startling metamorphosis". I mean, very upset. 15 minutes trying to poke the thread through a hole the size of a microbe. A tiny bit got through but slid out when I tried to pull from the other end. When after 40 minutes I managed to do it the thread broke. How about starting companies called "proper bike pumps" or "needles with a hole".

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:06 pm 

I've found that products made in China for the Chinese domestic market are pretty darn good quality. You can find them on some of the China-based flea market sites that pop up every so often, or sometimes on Ebay, but a lot of Chinese sellers have moved off Ebay due to crackdowns over such issues as Chinese domestic handytalkies that could transmit WAY out of US legal ham frequencies. The Chinese absolutely HATE America/Americans for complicated historical reasons, and so they ship us their bottom of the barrel quality stuff. But for their domestic market they reserve the best. The penalties can be EXTREMELY severe for Chinese companies that sell shoddy products domestically, up to and including execution of company executives! Yep, the Chinese govt has actually beheaded executives of companies convicted of selling shoddy merch in China. Definitely stick to buying Chinese stuff intended for domestic sale.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:08 pm 

Before Japan made quality cameras and lenses Germany did. The modern Chinese made battery packs seem to work well. I don't know how long they'll last, but the ones with the 9 volt snaps are quite handy,I use them. I haven't found nail clippers that work properly. Their clothes seem fine. I have a 2 amp variable voltage linear power supply from China that works well. The voltages are accurate, filtering could be better but it serves it's purpose, and was very affordable. I use it to power a Royal 25 on FM.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:09 pm 

We have been in a "global economy" for many years now. To be sure, there are a variety of issues still to be worked out.

In this and other similar threads, people have observed that it is the market forces that set the price point and quality. The simple truth is that noone can make money selling low-end products unless people buy them. Anyone here will be able to post at least one example of Chinese-made stuff that is just fine. Here's my contribution to the list:

2 Chromebook laptops and their power supplies
The hundreds of Miec capacitors I have purchased from JustRadios over the last 10 years

Rather than continue the negative comments, how about adding to my list? We might all learn something.....

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:12 pm 

At first they had company and product names that looked like mottoes from a little red book, Now the names are gibberish. Either that, or they are phonetic spellings of Chinese characters.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:15 pm 

Best nail clippers at a decent price, from Japan. Green Bell nail clippers.
As to Chinese, i stand by "they make junk". People have to stop buying it. They are laughing so hard over there while counting stacks of your money.

They can't even make a pencil with the lead centered.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:18 pm 

tinwhisker wrote:
I can remember, in the late '50's, "Made in Japan" meant "junk". ...

Charlie

I think that when Japan "Got The Message", stuff became quickly of better quality than some Made In USA. Example... Japanese audio equipment was very, very good in the late 60s, early 70s. Why in my opinion (like anyone cares?)? Because they figured out how to make good stuff and figured out that the consumer wanted good stuff.

I will admit to being biased in the 60s in that I hated Japanese audio equipment. Heck, I sold the stuff at E. J. Korvette in 1966-67. Little did I know that my AMPEX 961 tape deck was far inferior to what the Japanese were producing. I found this out later in life. Yes, I have a lot of TEAC, SONY etc. reel-to-reel decks now and they are hands down better than what the American consumer market had available.

I suspect that in time, China will get the same message (if they have not already) and history will be repeated. At least I hope so.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:22 pm 

China is just making what the American companies are telling them to make. Cheap, low quality crap. Americans want cheap because we want to purchase a lot of cheap things rather than being happy with just a few quality items.
China can make top quality products, like the iPhones for example, but the junk is the fault of the American companies.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:27 pm 

One other thing that really torques me off is to get an affordable high tech product with arcane functions and to get an instruction booklet that has less usable text than my childhood coloring books usually only describing what is in the picture, taking it for granted one just knows how to program it, or connect it, or or match it as necessary.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:30 pm 

Scott wrote:
China is just making what the American companies are telling them to make. Cheap, low quality crap. Americans want cheap because we want to purchase a lot of cheap things rather than being happy with just a few quality items.
China can make top quality products, like the iPhones for example, but the junk is the fault of the American companies.

+1, but I would go further than the last statement; the poor quality is simply based on the price point consumers here are willing to pay. If allowed to use higher quality/more expensive materials, I am sure Chinese manufacturing would be equal to any other countries work force.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:37 pm 

Scott wrote:
but the junk is the fault of the American companies.

If you set out to find fault, you'll find some for everybody....

I submit that what is made is ultimately driven by what people buy....

How about some additions to my "good news" list?

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:45 pm 

During the mid 1980s, our IBM customer engineer, Jerry, was big on "Buy American" and I remember when a board in our IBM 4381 mainframe went out. When Jerry was replacing the board, I told Jerry "The components have Japanese written on them!" All Jerry could say was that "IBM uses the best components that are available." I must say that you could count on IBM equipment and service.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 11:26 pm 

Who could ever forget those laughable Japanese made miniature 'matchbox cars' that were imported into this country during the early 1960's? I mean, those pieces of thin metal junk only weighed a gram or two. Even worse, the tiny rubber wheels were fastened to the axles by who knows what?

If that wasn't enough, there was the time when my parents bought me that Japanese made 3" reel to reel tape recorder for Christmas in 1971. Heck, that lousy contraption seemed to spend more time at the Sears Repair Center than it did at home. In fact, sometimes the reel to reel tape recorder spent a couple of months at the repair center. Now some of you probably know which one I'm talking about as that particular off white tape recorder also had a voice activated feature which started the recording automatically. Well, as was always the case, the cheap drive motor inside that unit had failed again.

Now, fast forward to the late 1970's.
At that time, the Japanese had finally come around to produce something decent as I purchased two Japanese made cassette recorders from Sears which were of excellent quality. In fact, I still have them today, and they're still working.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 11:40 pm 

fifties wrote:
Scott wrote:

+1, but I would go further than the last statement; the poor quality is simply based on the price point consumers here are willing to pay. If allowed to use higher quality/more expensive materials, I am sure Chinese manufacturing would be equal to any other countries work force.

It certainly is the price point as you stated because Americans are a materialistic society. I made that point when I said that we wanted to purchase a lot of cheap things rather than a few high quality items. The amount of doo-dads and gadgets we have is ridiculous. Everyone wants the latest and greatest, from phones to the latest kids toys. Worst part is all this stuff ends up in the landfill at the end of the day.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next