Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 06, 2020 1:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why I'm Fed Up With Asia Imports
PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 4:55 pm 

Pretty much, the stuff people buy is what gets on the shelves. And, as has been said people will buy by price points. My wife is that way - She'll take a lower grad whatsits because it's 50 cents cheaper. After the fact, I wind up either modifying it so it can do the job it was supposedly made to do. I've had to do stuff like that so many times I'm getting tired of it. But she can't help herself. She is a penny pincher to the core. Good thing in some ways, but there is so much junk that we've had to throw out just because it was worthless when she bought it that if I hadn't tossed it we would have a room full to the ceiling of broken or useless junk.

AH! But there is a silver cloud! Do a bit of shopping before buying and you can find a quality whatsits that will do the task and do it many times over and will last for many years. You just pay a bit more. In the long run you save money with the better quality device.

When I was a kid my dad gave me a bunch of tools because he saw that I liked to work on mechanical devices. Unfortunately, they were made in China. The jaws on an open end 1/2" wrench would spread to 9/16. Pliers that would slip, Crescent wrench that wouldn't grip the bolt, or nut. Screw drivers where the blade twisted trying to loosen that screw. Phillips drivers where the working end just tore right off. The list goes on.
Voila!! there is a better way! Simply PAY MORE - you will get more. The old saying is, "You get what you pay for."

Mark D.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 5:08 pm 

I will just keep saying it, if it's not made here, and it's too complicated to make yourself, and the only place to get it is china...

fantasy scenarios do not count.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 4:26 pm 

I smashed open a defective switching power supply wall wart once.

the inside was all black and had evidence of a lot of heat buildup along with a swelled 33 mfd 450v capacitor.

I'm so glad that hot little POS was plugged in to the outlet below the curtains :roll: .

we all know where it came from w/o any UL label.

I was using one of the Lepai 2020A tripath amps for my computer audio. they are fantastic little amps but the power supplies are NOT UL regulated and are garbage.

I now use a good ole 3A transformer supply that is something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Compac ... 362&sr=8-3

do I like this big thing on the bottom shelf of the computer desk ? NO, but it is better than having my house burn down from a six cent overseas piece of garbage.

steve

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3