Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 06, 2020 12:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Demonstrations of power line safety practices by Dominion
PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 2:52 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xoyb9M5-EA

Post subject: Re: Demonstrations of power line safety practices by Dominio
PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 3:40 am 

Very cool video!

Todd

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 5:59 am 

Good demo. Thanks.
Roger

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 3:09 pm 

Very interesting that the home generator can produce 7000 volts on the primary conductor. I guess that if you didn't pull your main breaker your generator would be trying to power everyone's house on the whole street.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 7:28 pm 

SkyKing wrote:
Very interesting that the home generator can produce 7000 volts on the primary conductor. I guess that if you didn't pull your main breaker your generator would be trying to power everyone's house on the whole street.
Just the step-up ratio of the pole transformer, i.e. in reverse... but the generator would soon trip if house loads were still connected!
The point being made was that, with the street (houses) disconnected, any downed primary wire lying on the ground would be lethal and the generator would NOT trip!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 5:24 pm 

SkyKing and engineer-Yes, IDIOT homeowners do just that.

They buy a generator, and make up a dual plug. One into the generator and plug the other into an outlet. And never throw the house's circuit breakers to disconnect it from the power feed.

Years ago, a large storm hit the Northeast. Several workers from out of state were injured in a couple of situations were IDIOTS were actually powering the lines which had been disconnected from the utility feed. The lines should now be dead. And the linemen are now handling live wires while trying to retrieve downed wires from being broken by snow and ice covered tree branches.

Remember, some of these lines are on hillsides and you are trying to work in deep snow and sometimes ice and loose rock are underneath the snow. No one has shoveled a path for the worker who may now be wading in waist deep. And if a tree has fallen the wire may no longer be in the tree cut.

I know two required trips to the hospital. I know this as a relative worked upstate New York trying to restore power and therefore was directly involved, not just rumor or hearsay.

Such homeowners really should be arrested. Total disregard for the utility workers who are trying to restore power to THEM.
John S.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 12:11 am 

Unfortunately that reverse feed is a very common hookup and probably becoming more so as people buy the ever cheaper and readily available generators from the big box stores and connect it to their house the easiest and quickest way that they can.

A good automatic transfer switch is expensive but manual ones are not however using one means an electrician for most people which is more than they are willing to pay. Lineman have to deal with horrible conditions and oddball hours and don't need people making the job more dangerous when they try to save a few bucks.

The ASCO 300 series automatic transfer switch I recently installed for my new standby generator setup cost more than a lot of small generators but I wanted the feature set and reliability of a higher end industrial oriented model. In addition to its programmed exercise runs, the generator has already had a brief run during an outage and it has only been installed for a short time. It is nice having all of the stable and clean power I need during outages which have become far more frequent in the last few years.

Rodger WQ9E

Attachments:
B18T6239.JPG
B18T6239.JPG [ 703.85 KiB | Viewed 480 times ]
B18T6246.JPG
B18T6246.JPG [ 256.55 KiB | Viewed 480 times ]
B18T6257.JPG
B18T6257.JPG [ 710.31 KiB | Viewed 480 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 5:30 pm 

4-cylinder turbo diesel? You could sell power to your neighbors during an outage! Just out of curiosity, why so big? Looks to be about 30 KW from your pics. Impressive, to say the least.

Dan

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 5:47 pm 

Dan,

Big house and a lot of stuff, I decided when going to the trouble of installing a standby generator system I wanted one big enough to carry everything without dealing with having stuff switched off while running on emergency power. It is a 3.3L Mitsubishi turbo diesel and rated for 40KW sustained output with considerably higher peak output for motor starting. 30 KW would have been enough but the 40 KW price differential was small and it is built with a better grade direct injection diesel.

In retirement my goal is to do things once and right :)

Rodger WQ9E