Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 15, 2019 8:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Black and White TV License in the UK
PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 1:52 am 

The attached link refers to the anachronism of television viewers in the UK being required to pay a tv license on top of regular cable fees. The license for black and white tv is less expensive. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... tv-licence

Post subject: Re: Black and White TV License in the UK
PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 7:38 am 

I did not know that was still required. What is the cost? How about tv collectors, is a fee required for each set?

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 1:49 pm 

In the UK you must have a TV License if you...
viewtopic.php?p=3064111#p3064111

Greg.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 2:06 pm 

It's a ripoff at £154 or $200, per year for color, or £52 that's $66 for black and white, but who has a b&w tv now.
And it's only recently that won't get a criminal record for not having one,
please please, please don't start me off on this one.

Mike uk

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 3:50 pm 

My understanding is that when radio first arrived in the UK in the early 20s, all radio sets were considered property of the Royal Government, and one had to pay yearly "rent" to the Govt for the privilege of operating a radio. The concept was likely similar to autos in the US, where you don't really own your car but get a "title" that allows you to operate it. This concept was then applied to television after the war. The radio fee was eventually repealed, but not the TV fee. IIRC the fee was/is intended to support the BBC, which for decades was the only broadcaster in the UK. The US, of course, went for a far more libertarian system, where broadcasting was the province of private entities who paid the bills with advertising. I have a 1970 Fidelity transistor radio from the UK with its "licence" sticker still attached.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 4:12 pm 

I mailed a Talky Tina doll to the UK a few years ago. Wow, did they nail the recipients with that custom fee! Of course, I had to reimburse the couple. There must be fees, charges and taxes galore over there, and not too surprisingly the black and white TV license fee.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 4:24 pm 

Yup, born free and taxed till death,
Yes we had a radio license here in the uk, we also had a tax on the number of tube sockets, and we had the British valve association putting their finger in the pie, that's why you don't find high count tube radios over here, don't forget the plague and Black Death, good old Blighty.

We still have road tax although they don't call it that anymore, depending apron what vehicle you have, the tax can be from zero to 550gbp

Plus we have sky TVs ruling the satellite tv industry, you have to pay for that on top of the license.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 4:27 pm 

Import duty (customs duty) into the UK and purchase tax (V.A.T. currently 20%) is applicable to lots and lots of goods purchased overseas.

Why would you reimburse the buyer - - are you nuts?

Greg.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 5:41 pm 

BakeliteManCA wrote:
... autos in the US, where you don't really own your car but get a "title" that allows you to operate it.
That is incorrect! Titles are evidence of ownership for vehicles and real estate.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 7:00 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
That is incorrect! Titles are evidence of ownership for vehicles and real estate.

Well, I will agree with you on the cars, but on real estate, maybe not. I have always said that you really don't own your house or property because if you fail to pay your property taxes, you will have it taken away.....

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 7:04 pm 

Mike uk wrote:
we also had a tax on the number of tube sockets, and we had the British valve association putting their finger in the pie, that's why you don't find high count tube radios over here

Wow, I never knew that. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that one. Wouldn't the British Valve Association be lobbying for no tax based on tube count? I would think they would want to help sell more valves. No wonder you busy yourself on Scott's and McMurdos.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 7:29 pm 

Yes the BVA was a nice little cartel in its day,
The original idea was to stop cheap imports and help the British valve industry, but like everything else the ideas get railroaded into something else, there is a Wikipedia entry.
I doubt that they would get away with it today.

It's amazing what the designers of yesteryear could do with four tubes.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 7:39 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ahJPxfGp4

God rest Robin William's soul.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 7:50 pm 

According to this....

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/media- ... 9785628266

...there are still 7000 B&W TV licences in the UK.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 8:05 pm 

Yes that may be but there is 63 million people living here.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 8:10 pm 

I have seen some amazing multiple valves in one envelope in radios from the early days from either UK or Europe? Based on the number of sockets tax I assume. Those are rather rare and collectible now.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 9:41 pm 

egg wrote: "Import duty (customs duty) into the UK and purchase tax (V.A.T. currently 20%) is applicable to lots and lots of goods purchased overseas.

Why would you reimburse the buyer - - are you nuts?"

The couple in the UK who was to receive the Talky Tina doll was given a notice in the mail to pick up the doll at their local post office. When they arrived at the post office, the couple was told that they had to hand over $35.00 USD in custom duties before the post office would release the doll to them. Well, the couple simply balked, and returned home without the doll. Afterwards, the couple contacted a friend of mine in the US about that mishap who later told me about it. I then told my friend to have the couple pick up the Talky Tina doll at the post office, and that I would reimburse them for the custom duties. A short time later, I mailed $35.00 USD in cash to the couple in the UK to cover the custom duties.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 10:57 pm 

Mike uk wrote:
Yup, born free and taxed till death,
Yes we had a radio license here in the uk, we also had a tax on the number of tube sockets, and we had the British valve association putting their finger in the pie, that's why you don't find high count tube radios over here, don't forget the plague and Black Death, good old Blighty.

We still have road tax although they don't call it that anymore, depending apron what vehicle you have, the tax can be from zero to 550gbp

Plus we have sky TVs ruling the satellite tv industry, you have to pay for that on top of the license.

A tax on the number of tube sockets???? :shock: :shock: :?: :?: Wow. So that's why superhet radios never really caught on over there. I know that radios in Nazi Germany tended to be regens, I wonder if they had a similar tax. The English have long suffered under ruinous taxes-the legend of Robin Hood was originally based on stories of rebels who resisted the sky high taxes of the Middle Ages. Robbing the rich and giving it to the poor originally meant seizing the monies extracted forcibly from peasants from the landowners and giving it back to the peasants.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 11:25 pm 

Scott wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:

Well, I will agree with you on the cars, but on real estate, maybe not. I have always said that you really don't own your house or property because if you fail to pay your property taxes, you will have it taken away.....
True, but what would happen if you did not pay utilities and/or the HOA?

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 12:12 am 

I have a German ve301 in my collection, it's a regen, really clever design, the tubes have 55v filaments so if you have 110v mains you don't need a dropper, the speaker is a reed type so there is no output transformer, and as for the Bakelite case, it's only 1/8" thick.
Most of the domestic radios here in the uk are 3 tube plus rectifier, all superheterodyne unless you go back to the twenties, shortwave seemed to be a bit of a luxury, covering the more commercial bands, not continuous coverage like your radios tend to be,
Longwave and our equivalent to your broadcast band was the norm, and the sets were usually very plain to look at,
That's why I have several Scott's in my collection, having more tubes actually makes the radio easier to work on, one tube one function.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next