Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 16, 2019 8:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Daylight savings time forever in IL
PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 2:08 pm 

Hi all,

So, it may soon be that my state may just remain on Central Daylight Savings Time year-round. Okay, that would get rid of one big hassle. But......, what about the new time clock system I installed at work, which automatically sets the time back or forward? That has to go. And, all the clocks in the house which automatically change the time? Well, they would need to be reset. Plus... This would put the state in the Eastern time zone. Great for those who live their lives by the dictates of Big-screen TV, which announces show times by Eastern time. And what about all the computers which automatically change the time? What new procedures will need to be agonized over?

I would prefer setting the clocks to Standard Time, and just starting work and school one hour earlier per day year-round. But, no, that would make too much sense. Sure, medical science can tell us that changing the time twice a year might prevent heart attacks or ADHD, or some newfangled alphabet-soup "malady" they'd like to dream up. But what about the hassle involved for the IT world, or all the poor souls who will have to replace their alarm clocks? Think about one more thing: When the clocks get reset, we remember when to change our smoke detector batteries. What now, o great sages of science, medicine and psychology?

I am hopelessly devoid of any knowledge of the IT world. Maybe there's an easy way to reprogram all of our devices which reset their clocks twice a year, and all my fears are unfounded. Still, there may be more daylight in the evening for Mr./Ms./M? Public's junior high soccer game. But what about all us poor saps who get up at 6? Our morning commute will be relegated to darkness... :cry: 8) :lol: Any more thoughts from someone who may be better informed than I as to how we will need to readjust our lives? Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Daylight savings time forever in IL
PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 2:39 pm 

I'd rather go on DST and stay there, as a nation.

This reminds me of when one of my duty stations rolled to "summer hours" with work starting at 6AM and running until 2. Come winter no one wanted to return to the normal working hours of 7-3, due to traffic. After a little lobbying, we kept the summer hours. Best productivity boost ever too. Our only problem? Chow hall opened at 5, giving some folks abbreviated chow hours. That got smoothed over with relaxed start time for those dozen or so folks...

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 2:53 pm 

If we did adopt 1 time for all, TV stations would still have to be on some kind of a zone related schedule or half the country will be at work during prime time shows. if it does happen be sure to invest in the stocks of DVR producers. :lol:

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 3:08 pm 

Computers, atleast windows os have a setting to automatically reset the time or not.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 3:29 pm 

I'd rather stay on DST year round. My cellphone gets the time change automatically even when driving from one time zone to another. Our atomic clock also syncs with a signal to automatically stay accurate. All our other clocks/watches are set manually. I don't see a problem with the computers either.

The big rub will be with parents not wanting their kids to go to school in the dark. Might be an issue with farmers also.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 3:30 pm 

Dennis H. wrote:
Computers, atleast windows os have a setting to automatically reset the time or not.

Windows currently offers 138 time zones, so I don't think Microsoft would have a problem making it 139...

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 3:37 pm 

Michigan is talking about finally eliminating DST forever and remaining on EST the whole year around.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 4:08 pm 

It served a purpose when it was adopted but I never understood the purpose of the time change as it relates to today. That said it should be standardized on DST. Id rather have more daylight in the evening in the winter than to be driving to and from work in the dark. When you work indoors you see little actual daylight during the winter.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 4:18 pm 

The obvious solution is set fire to the moon. Thought that's why we went there?

I'm pixxed. You know who-- besides cable-- made me monkey with my dead-accurate $8 38yo quartz clock, and it quit. No, I didn't turn it backward; all the way around forward. 38yrs is over half my life. Expletive, expletive, expletive.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 4:25 pm 

We never change the clocks here in Arizona. I love it.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 5:30 pm 

M
Quote:
ight be an issue with farmers also.

Yes, it confuses the roosters when to start crowing. :lol:
(Please note, I am kidding)

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 6:15 pm 

DST should be ended and we should all return to standard time. We use more energy with DST costing us more money and forcing us to burn more fossil fuels, worsening climate change. It also disrupts sleep patterns, sales of sleep aid drugs have increased due to DST. Studies show our bodies never fully adjust to the time change. We need darkness for hours before we go to sleep, the darkness triggers the production on melatonin which prepares the body for sleep. Without melatonin, the body's circadian rhythm is disrupted and we get less rem sleep.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 7:18 pm 

I see how it is. Indiana *finally* joins in, and y'all wanna quit! :lol:

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 8:51 pm 

I was born on (Eastern) War Time (DST), which the entire country observed during WWII, so it's been done before, with no apparent downside.
I'd love not having to change 14 damn clocks (10 in the house, two outdoor timers, and two car radios) every six months.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 8:59 pm 

I don't like daylight savings time. It screws up my entire collection of sundials.

The sun is supposed to be overhead at noon, not at 1pm.

I'd prefer we went on standard time, and forget the whole notion of "daylight savings." Redefine business hours as 8am-4pm, instead of 9p-5p, and the whole issue goes away. :lol:

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 10:53 pm 

It appears that we will switch to DST time here in BC next spring and then stay on DST. It seems to be the choice that many areas are making. Personally I don't much care which way we go but I will be pleased when we pick one or the other. I always have trouble adjusting when we go through the time change.
best regards,
Sandy

PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 11:41 pm 

Last year we voted to stay on DST, but our wonderful congress was to busy playing golf or what ever and didn't write it into law. Next year we stay on DST.

Farmers don't care what the clock says. The sun tells them when it's time to work.

Sun dials are cool. Maybe Santa will bring me one. Just turn it a little and your good. Beats the hell out of changing 14 clocks like fifties has to do.

Freeman

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 12:30 am 

fifties wrote:
I was born on (Eastern) War Time (DST), which the entire country observed during WWII, so it's been done before, with no apparent downside.
I'd love not having to change 14 damn clocks (10 in the house, two outdoor timers, and two car radios) every six months.

I think I read in General Bradley's "A Solder's Story", that during WWII, the army, in Europe, was on Double Daylight Savings Time. The idea, I believe, was to save on fuel.

I don't know why clocks can't be set for the correct Standard Time and have a button to push, thereafter, to advance/retarde the hour hand in and out of DST.

I have a favorite battery clock that seems never to need the battery changed, but, the time adjuster has to be turned about 30 times to change it one hour. I got to using an electric screwdriver to set the time. Most of the time I don't bother.

Charlie

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 2:49 am 

tinwhisker wrote:
fifties wrote:

I think I read in General Bradley's "A Solder's Story", that during WWII, the army, in Europe, was on Double Daylight Savings Time. The idea, I believe, was to save on fuel.

I don't know why clocks can't be set for the correct Standard Time and have a button to push, thereafter, to advance/retarde the hour hand in and out of DST.

I have a favorite battery clock that seems never to need the battery changed, but, the time adjuster has to be turned about 30 times to change it one hour. I got to using an electric screwdriver to set the time. Most of the time I don't bother.

Charlie

The idea was to save fuel, now we know that we use more fuel.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 2:52 am 

fifties wrote:

Science has advanced quite a bit since WWII, and we now know the problems that DST causes.

Museum Curator

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 49 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next