Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 09, 2019 4:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Daylight savings time forever in IL
PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 2:26 am 

Note that Illinois is at the far east side of the Central zone. I live 40 miles from the edge.

Even at the western edge of Illinois its a big difference from Indiana or a place at
the west side of Central.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 3:23 am 

I hope 50 states can figure out what's wrong with DST and then fix it. Then we Northerners will decide whether to join y'all or not. Of course we will keep the time zones, which are sensible.

Loggers here go on "Early shift" in the summer. A bit of dew lowers the fire hazard, allows logging to continue until about 2 PM. They don't change everybody's clock, they just head off to work earlier.

School could start an hour after dawn, without forcing everybody to change their clocks.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 5:07 am 

ErikD wrote:
There has been bill introduced for permanent DST. The Sunshine Protection Act. It has bipartisan support. So hopefully soon we can stop with messing with the clocks.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/670

It was introduced in March, eight months ago. :roll:

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 5:41 pm 

dtvmcdonald wrote:
Note that Illinois is at the far east side of the Central zone. I live 40 miles from the edge.

Even at the western edge of Illinois its a big difference from Indiana or a place at
the west side of Central.

I'm guessing this issue is at the heart of some of the problems folks here have with DST.

I also live near the eastern edge of the time zone, and there's no way anyone that lives here would ever want it to get dark here at 7:30 in midsummer. And bright sunshine at 4am isn't particularly helpful either.

OTOH, those on the western edge of the time zone probably don't want to wait until 8:30 or 9am for the sun to come up on Christmas morning.

It's not a matter of simply "adjusting schedules". Work places and schools just aren't that flexible and have zero interest or motivation to change. Just like I have no desire to change my schedule to make farmers happy.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 6:14 pm 

The chamber of commerces would have a hissy fit if we did away with DST. No doubt the businesses on the edge would go out of business.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 6:49 pm 

I was just reading that China uses a single, national time zone, even though it naturally spans 5 time zones. That means in eastern China, it's getting light at 4:00 in the morning, while in far western China it's not getting light until 9:00. On the same day, not due to seasonal variation.

Alaska basically uses a single time zone, too, even though it naturally spans 4 time zones. Yes, that's right, Alaska is as wide angularly as all of the continental US.

In Seattle, the seasonal variation is 7 hours. On the summer solstice we have 15.5 hours of light, while on the winter solstice there are only 8.5 hours of light. Somehow we survive, although plenty of people complain about the darkness this time of year. It's dark when you wake up in the morning and dark when you leave work at 5pm.

It seems people all around the planet cope with way more than the hour of variation we're talking about here due to DST. I always found the 2 Time Zone w/ No DST proposals interesting.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 8:13 pm 

The local people and merchants in western China rely on an unofficial time zone that is about 3 hours or so removed from China's official time zone. Also, western China is populated mostly by ethnic minorities and the people that live there are mostly poor.

Some other interesting time zone facts:

India Standard Time is offset by 30 minutes from UTC; so when it's 9am in Boston, it is 7:30pm in India. The time zones of Iran, Afghanistan, Burma, and parts of Australia are similarly offset by 30 minutes.

Then there is Nepal, which is for historical reasons offset by 45 minutes; when it's 9am in New York, it is 7:45pm in Nepal. Two other time zones (one in one of the islands in New Zealand, and an unofficial one in The Australian outback) are similarly offset. Still unclear to me why the residents don't want to adjust their clocks by all of 15 minutes, but it's their country.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 2:59 am 

Florida has passed a law, signed by Governor DeSantis, that makes daylight time permanent. I believe the same bill also places the State of Florida within one time zone, instead of two.

It has not been enacted because the current federal law allows for exemption to stay on Standard time, but not on daylight time.

I agree with those that say they don't like daylight time in their locale -- yes, geographic location makes a difference. In the winter here it gets dark around 6 pm. Once I flew to New York on business and was shocked to see it dark at 4:30! Alaska, haven't been there but I can only imagine. An hour or less of daylight? An hour of darkness in the summer? Businesses and schools have hours, regardless. I'm sure they get used to it.

Whether the whole country adopts permanent DST, or some states, I guess that's up for debate. Here in Sarasota I'd love to see the daylight continue to 7 pm in the winter.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 4:29 am 

Newfoundland is 30 minutes ahead of the other Maritime provinces. Nobody gets upset about it.
In the North, summer days are longer, winter days are shorter, and DST makes a lot of sense.
Summers, I remember playing softball until 9:30 PM and then walking home before it got dark.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 49 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3