Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 16, 2019 8:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Change and Rules Addition
PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 1:57 pm 

I like to keep my for sale listings up to date and mark each one sold as it is sold to avoid confusion among the potentially interested buyers. I wonder if there is another way to avoid this situation. I'm not worried about correcting errors just trying to make things go more smoothly.
Merrill

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 2:14 pm 

I had said 'fine by me' but upon consideration of other users' perspectives e.g. FS/W and help/solved, review of some of the affected threads and rarity thereof, perhaps the medicine is disproportionate to the disease.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 2:16 pm 

And don't forget, Alan is on the other side of the world so we can't expect him to answer quickly.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 4:10 pm 

I would agree with pixellany on this. There is the option to add another post to a thread if you cannot edit the original. The classifieds may be a special case.

best regards,
Sandy

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 4:39 pm 

As to the 1 hour change/edit limit, although I would like it to be 24 hour, the one hour limit is fine with me.

Quote:
Veering off-topic a bit---pictures are an issue independent of individual behavior. Using hosting sites for pictures can cause history to get lost through the actions of 3rd parties---why not just attach pictures directly?

My answer to this question = I want persons to be able to look at my meager collection without cluttering up the thread or forum with multiple pictures by making available a simple single link, their choice to look or skip. Thus the link in my signature.
Also if I do post a picture directly in the thread, often I edit it to make it small to reduce (clutter?) unless detail is needed.

Last edited by pauls.ironhorse on Nov Fri 15, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 4:50 pm 

Most editing done here is reasonable (with the exception of the practice that prompted this thread). I disagree with the rule to ban it after an hour. A better rule would be to limit user accounts to not be capable of making more than say 10 edits in a day, and if an account is flagged as hitting that limit for a certain number of concecutive days check what they changed for post deletion edits. If they are doing that hit them with a warning. This should directly target the offenders and have minimum effect on everyone else.

pixellany wrote:

Veering off-topic a bit---pictures are an issue independent of individual behavior. Using hosting sites for pictures can cause history to get lost through the actions of 3rd parties---why not just attach pictures directly?

Again, put yourself in the shoes of the administrators and moderators---keep them happy and everyone benefits.....

When I joined the photo upload limits were so strict I couldn't get anything to upload.
Some of us post the same threads not just on this site but others dedicated to antique radio, phono, TV, etc, and making one upload (especially for those on slow or data limited internet) is somewhere between highly advantageous and absolutely necessary.
Also another forum I'm a member of has lost all it's photo data a couple of times... After seeing that I'm not confident in any sites ability to permanently host photos.

It is a frustrating shame that many of the hosting sites became flakey.

I'm tempted to pull my Photobucket account and repopulate threads with photos hosted elsewhere (IIRC they have been deleting some of my pictures because I have not paid a new ransom they added to what was supposed to be a free account). If they tick me off enough that I delete my account with them I will have no good way of updating my posts here.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 5:48 pm 

The PHILCO Phorum.
https://philcoradio.com/phorum/archive/ ... -4918.html

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums.
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=253040

Greg.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 6:19 pm 

Would it not be possible to simply remove the edit button from ant post older than say a week? A month? Pick a number

Many times in my favorite haunt....test equipment and tools.... I need go back and edit an error or add info based on member feedback. As this is a fairly frequent occurrence, I’d hate to be such a burden to moderators

If it needs to be, such is life but maybe there is some middle ground? +1 to the suggestion for the classifieds

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 6:51 pm 

I'm often going back and adding additional information (comments, images, updated links, etc.) to posts that would otherwise be awkward/out-of-place/confusing if added as a reply later to the thread. Please don't eliminate the ability to do this.

Terminate the gross offenders, but please don't handicap the rest of us.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 7:01 pm 

I like the edit feature and will miss it.

Sometimes would add an edit or correction - see Stan's post below.
Sometimes would edit the title of the first post to reflect a change of direction in a long thread.
Sometimes would find a better pic and add it later.

Edit: editing is back to stay. Thanks, Alan!
IMO, most editing that goes on here is done to improve the reading and learning experience for all. Cheers!

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Nov Sat 16, 2019 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 7:34 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
Ask a moderator.

And for those subforums without a moderator? Ask you?

Attachment:
NoModListed.jpg
NoModListed.jpg [ 251.99 KiB | Viewed 2898 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 7:41 pm 

egg wrote:
The PHILCO Phorum.
https://philcoradio.com/phorum/archive/ ... -4918.html

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums.
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=253040

He is also on the EH Scott forum under his real name. I have to admit it, I am sorry to see him go. He did some nice work and was always in a high end set. Just a kid at 23. It must have taken a loooong time to edit all those posts. Another guy who did this recently went by the name Smoky. I really liked following Smoky's projects as he was a newbie and really grabbed the bull by the horns. I have no idea what would make someone do this other than having your feelings hurt and thinking that you are spiting others.

I have a thread for my New London 901A that I started a few years ago and I was going to edit and add the conclusion to my initial post as the thread is now 8 pages long, but I guess that isn't happening. Other than my first post, the rest is all about others talking about their 901A's, so for me to add the conclusion to the end would not be nearly as good as adding it to my initial post which details most of the restoration. I have been contacted by a number of people who joined just to ask me questions or get a copy of the 901A manual because Google brings that thread to the top in a search. There is always someone spoiling it for the majority.

I guess some editing "rules" could be implemented, but it would cost $$ to have someone write the code....but maybe we can get the code written for a "like" button at the same time :lol: We can start a fundraiser. I think the current situation will be a burden on the moderators who already have their work cut out for them doing their excellent job.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 8:03 pm 

Lets not go crazy stalking Ken...
I am guilty of editing titles. I always mark them SOLD when everything is sold on that post. Is this not allowed or is it only the ones doing it for?? Spite??

It is going to me a lot more work for the FS forum moderator.
All because of some silliness...

:roll:

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 8:05 pm 

Jon is 30 years old today and has plenty of buddies on this forum who know and associate with him regularly in the real word.
They all think that he is a great guy.

Maybe I'll see him at Dayton this coming May.

Greg.

Edit: Spite?
Have a little stroll through this four-page thread Kirk.
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... &hilit=jon

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 8:44 pm 

I wanted to add a drawing to one of my posts from yesterday to help get an answer, now I can't. Going overboard on a basically good idea. Lock all posts except the Classifieds after 48 hours. Isn't that possible?

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 9:04 pm 

egg wrote:
Edit: Spite?
Have a little stroll through this four-page thread Kirk.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=359152&hilit=jon

25 posts scrubbed in 4 minutes. I assume there is a program that does this.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 9:16 pm 

A prolonged manual "attack" which lasted ten days or more.
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22***% ... art=0&sa=N

Greg.

Last edited by egg on Nov Fri 15, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 9:22 pm 

Maybe he has legit reasons to wipe all his posts, who knows. Why does it matter anyway? I do like the idea of 7-10 or 30 days the edit gets locked. Classified are the exception.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 9:44 pm 

I have a suggestion. Could we get the image pixel size limit for attachments increased a bit? It's not 2005 anymore.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 9:51 pm 

ZombieElvis wrote:
I have a suggestion. Could we get the image pixel size limit for attachments increased a bit? It's not 2005 anymore.

That was tackled last month. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=365653

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 99 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next