Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 11, 2019 6:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unfinished Projects
PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 3:56 pm 

I wonder how many start on an interesting project, get it working, then never finish bringing it to a clean finished state. Seems my goal is to get it working, refine the workings, but never bring it to a finished presentable state.
In addition to the pictures below of gear clocks and electronic projects (still glued down to cardboard) I have several vintage radios that I restored to working condition but never finished the cabinet.
The wooden gear clock is finished (last picture. The first picture is a weather station logger, the 2nd is a stepper controller for a special machine, the 3rd is a translucent gear clock.

Attachments:
rsz_img_1603.jpg
rsz_img_1603.jpg [ 95.03 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]
rsz_img_1606.jpg
rsz_img_1606.jpg [ 233.19 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]
rsz_img_1605.jpg
rsz_img_1605.jpg [ 267.94 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]
rsz_1img_0707.jpg
rsz_1img_0707.jpg [ 278.26 KiB | Viewed 634 times ]

Post subject: Re: Unfinished Projects
PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 5:55 pm 

Although not radio related---I built an 800 square foot cabin up in the mountains on a remote piece of property in 1994. Just last week I had a contractor up there putting in the sheetrock. I like the framing/plumbing and wiring part of building but always hated doing sheetrock.

I've been using it since I built it as a get-away.Put solar in myself last year with battery backup. Before that I ran it on a generator,no more having to listen to the generator so now it's back to being nice and quiet.No other houses/people around for miles...

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 7:45 pm 

Philco Fan wrote:
I've been using it since I built it as a get-away.Put solar in myself last year with battery backup. Before that I ran it on a generator,no more having to listen to the generator so now it's back to being nice and quiet. No other houses/people around for miles...

Miles away from neighbors and quiet is important. I bought a place in Northern Lower Michigan. It was in a very rural subdivision right down the dirt road from State forest trails, my brother has a property in the same sub-d. I was planning to retire there eventually, but then part time getaway and hunting cabins started filing up with year rounders over the years. Next thing you know, I'm driving 200 miles to a "getaway" surrounded by noisy people, barking Dogs, smells and odors from various fires going on all the time and septic tank failures, these off-road golf cart things running up and down the road kicking up noise and dust, and Sodium floodlights turning to daylight what should have been a pitch black night. Wasn't an enjoyable getaway to me anymore, it was more like the city life that I already have. Sold it.

Last edited by Kevin Clark on Nov Sun 17, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 7:52 pm 

This place hasn't changed since I bought it,doubt it ever will. What helps is limited available infrastructure and minimum lot size is 40 acres.It's also a game preserve so hunting is limited to property owners only,no public hunting access.
Mostly older people like me are the majority owners,parcels rarely come available for sale.If they do people that own the adjoining property usually buy them up.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 3:56 am 

I've got too many to mention.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 4:00 am 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:

Me too! :shock:

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 7:27 am 

Hello mike,
same here I will never run out projects

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 1:20 pm 

I like those clocks! Interesting projects!

Yeah, I have many, such as the Rick Campbell KK7B Micro R2 DC receiver just sits in my ham shack working and unfinished.
It is an amazing little receiver! I just don't know what to do with it...

Philco Fan wrote:
Just last week I had a contractor up there putting in the sheetrock. I like the framing/plumbing and wiring part of building but always hated doing sheetrock.

I don't mind installing it, I just hate applying the joint compound. That little aspect held up my radio barn for a year and a half, as I tried to find someone to do it for me. I finally gave up and, begrudgingly plowed into it and got it done.... It won't win any beauty contests, but hey, its a pole barn and I'm there to enjoy my radios, not look at the walls!

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 1:51 pm 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
I wonder how many start on an interesting project, get it working, then never finish bringing it to a clean finished state.

Thats pretty much me. I have 3 scenarios.

1. Think of an idea, research it, draw it up and after days or weeks, decide that its never something anyone would ever want or need and sideline it.
2. Number 1 but actually breadboarded and functional. Then I decide its not useful to anyone but my self gratification.
3. Number 2 but I cant bring myself to tear down the breadboard because it looks so awesome. Grab another breadboard and goto step 1

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 5:16 pm 

How about four years and counting? Nothing to do with radios, but many years ago she bought a 1998 Cadillac on ebay. It came from Virginia via truck.
Really nice car, well kept. Only problem that I caught as soon as I heard the engine running was that it had a weak cylinder. But it was only at idle and I wasn't about to take it apart until it would get worse; and I knew it would at some point.
That 'some point' came about four years ago. I drove it into my shop and there it sat because I had so many other projects that weren't getting done.
Finally, I started taking it apart to a point where I could drop the engine out. But other things came up and it sat half apart for a year or more.
This past August I finally dropped the engine out. Then my elder son in Fargo found a very good used engine from a salvage yard in South Dakota. It came by truck. Naturally, it was all stripped of its accessories that I could easily take from the original engine. So that's where it is at this point.
Today, after I cut up an ash tree that went down sometime last summer - use it for heat this winter, I'll tighten up the cradle mounting points and then plug the wiring harness into all the little electronic gizmo's so it will run when it's in the car.
Once that's done, I think that within a month or so I will have it up in the car. Maybe.

The problem with the original engine was that one or more piston rings broke. She drove it for many thousands of miles that way before it didn't fire at all.
No, I haven't taken it apart, but I put my bore scope into the bore through the plug hole and could see the cylinder wall was all scoured up. Deeply scoured. The one drawback of this engine family is that you can't bore them. I could have honed it a bit and put a new piston and rings in the original engine, but I had doubts about longevity. The 'new' engine is, as always, is a case of hope-it-works syndrome. But the salvage yard seems to be a straight up place, and it only has 114,xxx miles on it. That's low miles. But in my mind I wonder why someone would junk a car with that few miles. Maybe a wreck? That would be best. Means it was running. Maybe the transmission went fwippp. That would be good too, but I really don't know. Once it's in the car and all hooked up and oil and coolant in the engine, THEN I'll know if it's truly a good engine.

That's a long project, no?
All because I have better things to do than swapping engines. But the car itself is in near new condition in all other aspects and I cannot junk perfectly good vehicles. What a waste!!
I have taken so long to get this car running, she went out and bought another Cadillac STS. A 2008. That was back three years. It's doing very well. AWD on this one, that's good in a way. She can get through the snow in winter. Problem there is that there's only 4 inches of ground clearance on the thing. So if she gets into that kind of snow, which is probable, it will just have more wheels spinning in the snow.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 5:39 pm 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:

Ditto. 4 kids, a business to run and getting older have taken away dramatically from my play time.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 5:50 pm 

Projects are not meant to be finished. If you need to finish it, you better have a long list of alternates waiting.
My wife of 40 years lives for projects, usually involving physical input from me. So I have my projects, more important ones. :lol:
Yes, the walls of the shop. Got one wall almost done, insulated adjacent wall yesterday with Rock wool and poly vapor barrier. My plan is to hang old strips of drywall between strips of plywood, all scraps from other projects. No plaster seams, just lapped edges and leftover paint. No intention to finish it anytime soon.

On the bench, several old radios, some playing, none finished. In the attic, plastic totes full of others.

My unfinished outdoor project is a garden pathway system. Just getting started. :lol:

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 6:16 pm 

A project estimator I am not. Every household project I am under budget then run out of funds before its complete. Then its a slow crawl to the finish as I work on it as money and time permits. I wont be in the house flipping business in my lifetime unless I have a TV show and sponsors!

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 7:11 pm 

I'm the opposite. I always have the finished product in mind and will make progress until finished. I do abandon projects because it's costing more than it's worth or it's beyond my abilities. Looking around the room, there are no unfinished projects. I don't fear running out of things to do; there will always be something to fix or another book to read.

I've also learned over time that for most projects: "It's going to cost twice as much and take three times as long."

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 7:38 pm 

At the same time as noted above, three of my four home built hi-fi amplifiers and within the same week seemed to have ganged up on me by refusing to work anymore. Each one had a different ailment. On two of them I have yet to even look at them. But a few days ago I picked one to fix and get it working. It had a blown fuse. It also, on one output tube socket there is a 6 ohm 1% tolerance 1/2 watt resister that looks like it got too hot. but it doesn't look bad. Transformers seem good, all tubes seem good, nothing else in the amplifier shows any sign of stress of any sort.
And that's as far as I got. I can't find the problem, so I moved on to other stuff. One of these days I'll replace that one resistor (I hate to order a single resistor, so I haven't ordered) or maybe I'll just put a new fuse in the thing and power it up as it is and see what happens.
Then I'll go on to the next one regardless of the results of the one above.
But right now I'm about to go outside, get a chain saw and cut up a big ash tree that went down during the summer. I'll cut it up into blocks, wheelbarrow them to the wood splitter and have free heat all winter. And this one I will complete today. I already did a different ash tree a few days ago.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 9:41 pm 

I resemble most of these remarks!

One of the reasons I just joined here.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 8:15 pm 

My snag is when it comes down to actual work, I have priorities over my antique radios. At the moment I need to fit a split charge relay in my boat engine circuit. I also found a good solar panel and bought an aerogen generator cheap some months back. My radio work is very disciplined but for now it's all swatting. Stuff I can do over a coffee at night. That keeps me connected. I am the same with music too. I write music and sing - influenced by The Beatles and Beach Boys. I have scores of unfinished songs. I wrote a song for Christmas last year but it wasn't finished in time. Then in October this year I worked on the song and it's ready for a full recording. I had to force myself today to try and polish the bass track. I guess I will have to force myself to get it done. So far people loved the October recording so pressure is on to try and finish something.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 8:19 pm 

Mark D wrote:
At the same time as noted above, three of my four home built hi-fi amplifiers and within the same week seemed to have ganged up on me by refusing to work anymore. Each one had a different ailment. On two of them I have yet to even look at them. But a few days ago I picked one to fix and get it working. It had a blown fuse. It also, on one output tube socket there is a 6 ohm 1% tolerance 1/2 watt resister that looks like it got too hot. but it doesn't look bad. Transformers seem good, all tubes seem good, nothing else in the amplifier shows any sign of stress of any sort.
And that's as far as I got. I can't find the problem, so I moved on to other stuff. One of these days I'll replace that one resistor (I hate to order a single resistor, so I haven't ordered) or maybe I'll just put a new fuse in the thing and power it up as it is and see what happens.
Then I'll go on to the next one regardless of the results of the one above.
But right now I'm about to go outside, get a chain saw and cut up a big ash tree that went down during the summer. I'll cut it up into blocks, wheelbarrow them to the wood splitter and have free heat all winter. And this one I will complete today. I already did a different ash tree a few days ago.

Mark D.

I cut wood today too. I lay planks across stones and drop rocks so the wood breaks. Free heat. Just hope the dry air doesn't affect my singing.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 11:36 pm 

I have my Restoration Pile, which will keep me busy for my retirement years. I am still working on the Midwest X-18, and have to finish the Philco 16B peak top. On the other hand maybe I can get the ham antenna up.before it gets too cold. The weekends disappear quickly, and then it's time to go back to work.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 24, 2019 2:58 pm 

One of my unfinished projects is making a list of my unfinished projects.

Radio is a divine gift; God made us able to do one thing while listening to another.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next